5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it., 6 Feb 2011
I read half of this book before a friend stole it, took it home and read all of it, giving it back to me the next day. (After my forcing her to read the first poem). Most of Gibson's poems are several pages long, but they are the first that haven't bothered me on that front, as they are so well constructed you can see how every stanza plays it's part; it would be impossible to cut any of it.

There are also three (I think) very short quotable poems that you can use to prove to friends how good a poet she is during casual conversation.

One poem has had its ending changed, ('When The Bough Breaks') but you can find the other version (which I prefer) on Youtube by searching 'Andrea Gibson at Da Poetry Lounge'. All of her performances are brilliant as she is a performance poet, though the lack of a performance detracts only minimally from the book.

(Amazon recommends Laura Marling as similar and though I would not have connected them immediately I will agree to the 'If you like this you will probably like this too' mentality of the two. Also Patrick Wolf has a similar emotive quality.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Andrea Gibson..., 13 July 2013
After reading this book I was speechless. I still am. No review will ever do Andrea Gibson's poetry justice. You have to read it for yourself to realize how wonderful she really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 10 May 2013
This is witty, elegant and inspiring writing that will get you thinking, smiling. One day I hope to become as good as her. The phenomenal one, talented and amazing. She makes you crazy. Buy the book, it's really ace. It's that damn good. You won't be disappointed. Truly awesome. If you have never read poetry this will put a smile on your face. Best item I have ever bought. Peace!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 April 2013
Fantastically good poetry and beautifully illustrated, I cannot recommend this highly enough. Some poems I read over and over on the first reading because they were too good not to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ive never read anything like it before., 9 April 2013
This is an amazing collection of poems. It makes me want to scream, shout, smile, laugh, cry, fume, make placards, work at a shelter, and hug every person I meet... all at the same time. There are touching moments, and also moments of humour. Her poems are brutally honest in a strangely uplifting and incredibly motivating way. I highly recommend also buying her CDs/MP3s on Amazon, of her performances of some of these poems - she is as talented at performing them as she is at writing them and packs an emotional punch. The way in which she makes us aware of the problems and flaws in the world (and in ourselves) yet empowers that knowledge with an equal love of the world and ourselves, is remarkable. The timing is great, the observations are insightful and the wording is fresh. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever so slightly beautiful., 19 Mar 2013
Would recommend to anybody who likes a bit of heartache, blasphemous imagery and some one liners that hit you in the oesophagus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything., 19 Aug 2012
C Lunney "That1971Girl" (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pole Dancing to Gospel Hymns (Kindle Edition)
I wish I could put my favourite parts in this review, but I don't think there's space for the whole book to be reproduced, also I think I might break some copy writing law. I know I'm going to be going back to this book time and again because it's that kind of book. And each time I do go back, I expect to find something different, something I missed before and I can hardly wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars pure words, 24 Aug 2011
One of the best poetry books that got in my hands the past couple of months.
Just by reading the first couple of pages you can tell that it is a book worth buying.
Read the whole thing in a day, but i'd still go through the book when i feel i need some inspiration and clarity.

Pole Dancing to Gospel Hymns