5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh and Learn Again With O'Conner
Published on 13 Aug. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new
I was surprised and disappointed by the lack of detail in this book. I was hoping to pick up new skills, but learned very little. It is well-written, a little corny - and truly only for people with horrible writing skills.
Published on 14 Mar. 2000 by Eric-Alan Rapp

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh and Learn Again With O'Conner, 13 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
It's not often you encounter "how-to" books sprinkled throughout every page with humor and wit, but O'Conner has done it again. Having enjoyed her punny grammar book,Woe is I,I dove into this writing guide just for the amusement, but as with the former book, I found the substance of this book every bit as helpful and informational. With subtitles like "Taking Leave of your Tenses," "Comma Sense," and "No Assembly Required," it's a joy to absorb O'Conner's advice on writing. The fire-engine chartreuse cover looks good on the bookshelf too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another useful AND entertaining book from Ms. O'Conner!, 12 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I bought a personal copy of this author's last book, WOE IS I. After reading it and realizing how clevely it was written and how useful the content was, I went out and got 5 more for several friends. We have all found it wonderfully helpful for those vexing questions of grammar and usage. Well, Ms. O'Conner has done it again. In her witty, breezy, upbeat style she has written a truly readable book about writing. It seems like literally millions of us are communicating more and more - both instantly and globally - these days thanks to the Internet. Writing clearly and in an interesting manner has become more important than ever. And, since our own written words are often our first introduction to others, it's beneficial to each of us to learn the tricks and tips that make writing flow smoothly and represent accurately what we really mean to say. Ms. O'Conner example's are from all sorts of literature and from her own imagination. I laughed out loud at Kim and Alec in the hot tub. And several quoted passages have inspired me to read the works in which they appear. I hope this book finds a wide audience. It would be useful for anyone who writes and aspires to do it well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and useful, 20 Dec. 2013
I can't add much to what already has been said about this book. Ok, if you are not a grammar nerd, you might not find it especially appealing -- it's a grammar book afer all -- but if you feel like you keep making again and again the same mistakes, this approach to grammar could be one of the best ways to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book one needs in the shelf, 5 Mar. 2012
This book IS recommended for everyone who writes anything. Many rules in this book came back to me that where long gone. Here is a lot to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative, 22 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
Both Woe Is I and Words Fail Me would make fine gifts for your E-mail correspondents this year. I know; I have received them both. I can guess it is because I am one of those people who cannot help how badly I write. Or how bad. Whatever. When faced with a computer keyboard I simply go on and on, although my run on sentences when I am writing by hand are limited because my hand cramps up. These books are helpful to me beacuse they cover the rudiments of self-editing. As a student I did not always recognize the run on sentences, dangling modifiers, etc. my instructors noticed. Sometimes I still do not. But, I do a better job of editing my own writing after reviewing Woe Is I and Words Fail Me. Both books are entertaining, informative, and should be in your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish my English teachers had been this entertaining!, 19 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This is a fun and readable book that is packed with lots of tips and ideas for writing a good report, story, or even a letter to your friend. I remember the author's last book, WOE IS I. This one is just as useful. I truly enjoy seeing what names Ms. O'Conner will use next. And the titles of her chapters are worth the price of the book all by themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 14 Mar. 2000
Eric-Alan Rapp (Vedbaek, Denmark) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 22 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
Patricia T. O'Connor knows words in and out. Like Sin and Syntax, she steers aspiring writers away from the waste basket with lessons on grammar and this need-to-know book for writers. She uses simple English and humor that anyone can read and not fall asleep while reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful information in a fun read., 13 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
Ms. O'Conner has done it again! She is such a clever writer, and so much fun to read, one hardly notices that there's a lot of useful information being taken in along with the witticisms. All of the advice she gives is practical and doable and bound to make the reader a better writer, and I would recommend the book highly to anyone interested in being both informed and amused.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and useful: a spoon full of sugar helps ...., 12 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
Pat O'Conner is my language guru. I read her books for amusement, only to stop and consider how I really did need to brush up (if I ever knew completely) on verb agreement...or... . Her spoons full of sugar help the gerunds go down.