• Polo

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 9 July 2002
Polo is definitely Jilly Cooper's best book and probably my favourite book I've ever read! The writing is fantastic and draws you in from start to finish and the characters are both fab and fanciable. It's also great that she ties up loose ends from other books such as Rupert and Taggie's wedding. I've read it countless times and every single time I just cannot put it down. Jilly, I salute you.
on 14 February 2008
I first read Polo in 2001 after Riders and Rivals in which is a lot to live up to, but I'm pleased to say that with Polo Jilly didn't disappoint!
Polo is the only book that I have read over and over again and its now 2008 and I am reading it again and I still feel the same emotions all over again. One will fall in love, cry, get angry, and at times feel like hitting that bottle as well. All this and you still have RC-B and a few other beautiful characters added into the pot.

I would recommend every one of Jilly's books with out hesitation. I know I'll re-read all of them over and over again. But if there is one that leaves you with that feeling, for me it will always be Polo. This one comes highly recommended!
on 20 November 2000
This is my favourite book in the series, probably because it features a man who is genuinely appealing in a "boy-next-door" way, rather than being a selfish playboy. Having said that, there are plenty of selfish playboys in the background for those of you who like them. I knew nothing about the game of polo to start with but the book is structured in such a way that you come to understand the rules without it becoming too dry and educational. The plot unfolds over a period of several years, allowing us to see how characters develop in the face of various life-changing events, and real historical moments like the Falklands war and the 1987 hurricane play a believable part. In spite of some tearful moments, this is a "happy" book. It will probably bring a smile (and a few laughs!) to your face.
on 15 August 2001
As a lover of polo, I can tell you that Jilly Cooper has captured the polo scene so precisely, It had me mesmerised throughout the book. Polo players your secrets are out!
Wonderful storyline, familiar characters who you can picture so easily in your mind and incorporating new characters and some of the ravishing cast from her previous books, Riders and Rivals, including the loveable cad - Rubert Campbell Black. Nobody does it better than Jilly.
Jilly has a way of bringing all elements of life into her books, the fortunate, the less fortunate, the introverts, the extroverts, the good, the bad, the ugly and in this case the absolutely stunning.
To me this is her best book so far, once I finish it I have to start it again, as it provides complete escapism from daily life even if just for 15 minutes a day. It takes me off to a world which many of us dream about but few of us actually experience!
Indulge yourself into the world of wealth, lust and beauty. You will be disgusted with Perdita, fall in love with Luke, get hot and steamy over Red, want to join in with the Carlisle twins, cure all Ricky's hurt, kill Chessie and Bart and ultimately experience their world. Don't deny yourself any longer - buy this fantastic read now! You won't regret it and I guarantee it will provide you with a warm feeling or two...
on 17 November 2001
Another rip-roaring success. This is a horsey,
naughty tale with many twists and turns. It is funny, sad, exciting, and an altogether quite
riveting read. The men are handsome, the women
are gorgeous, the horses are magnificent. You
can almost smell the Dior perfume! Wonderful!
on 20 November 2007
I have read all of the Jilly Cooper books (by that I mean the Rutshire Chronicles, aswell as Pandora and Wicked!) and this and Rivals are probably my favourites if I had to choose.

The heroine, Perdita Macleod, is hilarious and brilliant. I really could identify with her, but I am like her, so it was easy. Her one-liners and clever insults are to die for, and with all of that blond hair and unicorn looks, she isn't that bad herself. Yes, there are some times when you want her to be nicer to Daisy and to stop treating everyone so awfully, but the ending really is heartwarming.

It also marks the return of Rupert Campbell-Black and his fiancee Taggie O'Hara, and there is a fantastic wedding. Daisy Macleod, Perdita's mother, is brilliant and so sweet- as sweet as Taggie, but with more of an edge and past- and the biggest twist (to do with Rupert Campbell-Black) made the whole book for me.

A whole new array of characters mean that Jilly Cooper is back with a bang, such as Seb and Dommie Carlisle, who will crack you up on every page, the moody but sexy Ricky France-Lynch and the bitchy Chessie France-Lynch/Alderton. There is also the heartbreakingly lovely Luke Alderton, and the biggest pratt on two legs who you spend the whole of the book wanting to beat with a polo stick, Red Alderton.

If you don't understand Polo, by the end you will, and it is always interesting to know what handicap everyone is on. Despite being well over 700 pages long, this book keeps you entertained from page one, and you are constantly changing who you think your favourite character is. It is certainly one of the best out of the Rutshire Chronicles, and one of the best books I've ever read.
on 22 May 2001
This is the first Jilly Cooper I ever read and I read it when I was 12. Needless to say, it shocked me pretty badly, but once I'd gotten used to it I absolutely adored it. I'm not a particularly fast reader but I picked this up and didn't put it down until I was finished. This is definitely the best book Jilly's written, although I still maintain that Dino Ferranti from "riders" is the sexiest guy! I'd have to put this as one of my top ten books of all time, and the only one that I can always count on to cheer me up. Thank you, Mrs Cooper!
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2008
The basis of Polo takes place in the fictional English county of Rutshire, in large manor houses and equine estates, moving swiftly to Argentina, Florida and back to Rutshire again.
Ricky France-Lynch is a top class polo player and land owner, devastated by a tragedy.
Daisy McCleod is a kind and dreamy painter, fallen on hard times but never losing sight of her role as a mother and breadwinner.
Perdita is her beautiful, petulant eldest daughter, illegitimate, fiery, mysterious and blessed with God-given skill as a polo player.
Luke Alderton, the penniless son of a billionaire, scratching a living as the most respected stable owner in Florida.
Anyone who has also read "Riders" and "Rivals" will be delighted to find the inclusion of Rupert Campbell Black and the wonderful Taggie in Polo. These characters and dozens more will take you on a glorious, sometimes escapist ride through tournaments, departure lounges and parties and when the final page is turned you will feel as though you've lost the ear of an informative and dear close friend.

Buy the book for an incredibly well-written, glitzy adventure.
on 11 May 2004
This could have been an excellent book, and I thought it was going to be up until about halfway through, but there was a long stretch (in my opinion, far, far too long!) where you just feel like slapping the main character across the face and giving her some sorely-needed advice. I wont spoil the story for anyone who wants to read it, but just say the main character makes a decision you know is sooo wrong, and it makes you want to scream, but you have to stick with it.
The ending partially makes up for this, but that unfortunate section leaves you so emotionally scarred you feel like giving up. I am so glad I didn't, but I found myself skipping some pages in sheer distress. As I said, this book has its faults - but it's still super, and well worth it.
It is certainly one of her best books - the characters are real, the plot is a twister and the ending is fabulous, so if you can put your opinion of the main character on hold for a while, you will enjoy this book - it is certainly memorable.
A raucous romp starting in Rutshire, taking in USA and Argentina along the way!! Fabulous, decadent and thoroughly stirring, polo players, rock stars
and even royalty mix in this raunchy tale. Beautiful ladies (some not so lady-like) absolutely gorgeous men (yes please) divine horses and lovely dogs
make an irrestisible cocktail of mayhem, just waiting to be enjoyed. Get yourself a long, cold drink, lie in the sun, and enjoy!!