5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remembered
Published on 31 July 2011 by Jackson Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars rubbish
didn't get this book at all. Very boring and found it all very pointless. Sorry but really just was not my read and wish i hadn't wasted my money on this.
Published 20 months ago by lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remembered, 31 July 2011
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
I was obsessed with this book as a teenager...but recently so many of JC's novels have been awful I'd pretty much given up on her. Feeling bored recently, I bought Rivals for 50p in a secondhand shop fully expecting to have out-grown it (it's about 20 years since I last read it), but I thought I'd re-visit it for nostalgia purposes. And, oh my, I fell in love with it all over again :-) It hasn't dated at all, the characters are just as fun and involving as I remembered and the Rupert and Taggie story still had me all misty eyed at the end.

I really think that this is JC's best book, followed by Riders then Polo....everything following them has been excreble, in my humble opinion. I utterly (as Jilly would say) detest "chick-lit" as a rule, but these three books are special with Rivals being a truly outstanding example of it's genre.

Two things that bug me though....."Bush"?? You know what I mean. And ".....screamed so and so". Screamed? Really? That jarred much more than all the "terribly"s & "frightfully"s.

But to all of you who came to JC with Score! Wicked & Jump! etc, PLEASE go and read the first three, they are vastly superior.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically gripping story, 16 Jun 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
In some ways this is very much more of the same from Jilly Cooper as Riders, but in general Cooper has tightened up her act. The writing is more snappy and less rambling, the characters seem more vivid and certain of them are far more likeable then in her first book.

The plot this time involves a large franchise battle between Corinium - the incumbent television company, led by Tony Baddingham - and Venturer, formed by a number of larger than life characters who have had various run-ins with Tony and wish to see his downfall.

As well as being reintroduced to Rupert Campbell-Black - who is far more loveable rogue this time than unprincipled bastard - we also meet the O'Hara family, including the divine Taggie who is destined to play a huge part in Rupert's life. Taggie is one of my very favourite characters of Cooper's and her union with Rupert is sweet and genuine.

As mentioned, Cooper's plot is less convoluted. Here there is the definite focus of the franchise battle, which drives the plot forward. There are innumerable cases of bed-hopping and wife swapping as each consortium attempts to plunge the other into controversy before the big meeting with the IBA.

Of course, there is a naughty fairytale element to the story - nice things happen to nice people(Taggie and Rupert) ; those who are conflicted and difficult learn how to become better people (Cameron Cook); while the bad guys are ousted (Tony). There is one person who is irredeemable in my eyes, and this is Maud O'Hara - she is selfish and shows both lack of judgement and bitter jealousy.

I also found myself annoyed with the plot device of young, precocious girl (in Riders, Fen and here, Caitlin) - I sense that Cooper is attempting to build a youthful version of herself into each of her stories. Finally, Cooper has the tendency to use words such as 'screamed' and 'yelled' in terms of conversations, which becomes jarring after a while.

Overall, Cooper is not breaking the mould here at all but she writes a fantastic and gripping story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raunchy, Trouser Ripping Romance, 7 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
The wives are both beautiful and rich, the men are both powerful, gorgeous,full of humour and sheer sex appeal and mistresses exude pure sex. Rivals will leave you panting for more as you follow the adventures of the beautiful and the powerful. Rivals concetrates on the Hardwork, Powerful influences and trouser dropping behind the scenes of television.Relationships (quick romps) are a common event and at least a couple or the characters in Rivals are in fact Common Property.
No matter how much trouble Rupert Campbell Black (Minister of Sport)gets into, bedding the wives of Gloucester, you just can't help but loving him to death and desperatly shouting at the pages for hime to get it together with Taggie.
You will laugh until you cry, scream, shout and call Tony Baddingham every name under the sun. It may sound a bit of a cliche but Rivals is one book you won't be able to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now!, 27 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
Like all the other readers, I thought this book was incredible. I read one review in a newspaper that said for her genre, Jilly Cooper is a genius, and it's true. Even Bridget JOnes isn't a patch on Jilly. Rupert Campbell Black must be the sexiest hero ever created in the history of bonkbusting literature! The book is smart, sharp, funny, intelligently observed and filled with sex and romance. The happy ending doesn't so much tug at your heart strings as wrench them! It made me cry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unrivalled Jilly!, 20 July 2012
Ms. Nancy Buckland "foxymissb" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
I decided to revisit this book after many years and was so glad I did. It is Jilly Cooper at her very best. Rupert Campbell-Black is back and this time you really get to fall in love with him, even though he never loses his rogue appeal. Now he has given up riding and is Minister for Sport, but after crossing paths with TV star Declan O'Hara the two form an unlikely friendship. The book is centred around the fight for an ITV franchise with Rupert, Declan and their pals on one side, and the truly hideous Tony Baddingham and his equally vile employee James Vereker on the other. This book can only be described as a romp from the first page until the last, and through it all we see Rupert trying not to fall in love with the lovely Taggie O'Hara, and vice versa. Rivals is full of hugely entertaining characters, my favourite being Freddie, a multi-millionaire with a heart of gold. Of course it is slightly dated (Rupert talks about football players being paid 100,000 a year) and you can marvel at how people got things done before the internet - travelling up and down the country and giving out bumper stickers seems like hard work these days when starting a campaign! Jilly's finest hour - and there have been a few contenders.......

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB, FAB, FAB, FAB, FABULOUS!!!!, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
Only three little words to say about this one...BEST JILLY EVER!!!!!!
And three more. Please read it.
It will make you happy. I promise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Riders but def worth a read if you like Jilly C!, 11 Sep 2008
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
This book was quite good but certainly nothing like Riders which I enjoyed immensely (maybe because of the horsey element?). Rivals is fast paced and has a gripping storyline with lovable characters (Taggie's dog being the most lovable!). I was sad to see that Billy LF didn't feature very much, although there was ample chance to feature him more e.g. when he conveniently was out of the country or working. Some people have mentioned about the change in Rupert so I don't think its giving away too much to say he does have a change of character in the middle\end of the book. However I didn't like this. Is Rupert not the lovable cad? isn't the reason we liked him because of the way he treated woman?. To think he is going to settle down properly (not like his first marriage in Riders) changes him completely and it didn't work for me - sorry!. I also didn't like the fact most of the characters kept quoting famous works - what was the deal with that? perhaps for one character ok but not several. People just don't do that in the real world. But all that aside it is an enjoyable read with a real feel for what goes on in the TV industry. Jilly has a great skill with witty one liners (the one about 'Wobbledon' when Rupert is caught playing naked tennis is a classic!).

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, simply genius!, 30 Nov 2006
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
Welcome to round 2 in Jilly Coopers fabulous series of books. I adored Riders and bought this with trepidation that it wouldnt match up, but thankfully i was wrong. Although set in the world of television franchises, something i knew nothing about, it never bored me and infact i found it fascinating. The developing love story between Rupert (dont you just love him) and the sweet Taggie was a joy to read. I couldnt put this down and have re read it too many times to mention. Go and buy this book, unplug the phone, turn off the tv, and tell your friends you are away for a few days. Yes its that good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great summer read, 30 July 2006
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
Almost as good as Riders and far superior to anything that Jilly wrote later, the big let-down for me is the character of Taggie. I know I'm alone in this and other people love her, but I just find her irritating, whining and silly. Rupert could have done so much better! Still, that apart it's a great wish-fulfillment read, and Rupert's as fab as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best books I have ever read, 19 Dec 1999
This review is from: Rivals (Paperback)
This is one of those books that you cannot put down until you have read it all. You just want Rupert to get together with Taggie and make all your dreams come true. If you only buy one book this year buy this!!!

Rivals