4.0 out of 5 stars Unique read
Being honest, this was a book l wasn't too sure about. First off it's not something l would usually read, the female being the sort of 'hunter/law enforcer' doesn't usually interest me. Anyway l wanted to start to try different things and give them a go, you never know what you might like! After finishing this book l am so glad l read it!
Lindsay is a great writer,...
Published on 28 Feb 2011 by Jodzie

3.0 out of 5 stars Light Entertainment
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique read, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
Lindsay is a great writer, the story flows well and nothing seemed rushed which isn't always easy when you have such a fast paced book. As well as loving Lindsay's writing l also really liked the characters in this story, they are all very likeable and although this is a very engrossing story line with a great plot behind it l felt the characters made this book.
The characters are developed really well to the point where you feel like you know them as a friend. They are all unique and l actually really liked every character in this story. Sicarius managed to be a likeable character (for me) in a very 'weird' way as he is actually quite a heartless character but he is one of those people who you like because of how they are!
Amaranthe reminded me of myself in some ways, she is a very caring character who wants to be strong and often is but sometimes shows not all things are easy for her, this makes her more real for me.
The interactions between the characters were also written in such a great way. I actually found myself laughing quite a lot while reading this, all the characters are so unique in their own ways but also are very funny with the things they will do or say. The book mainly made me laugh because of how the characters were with each other. The Emperor's Edge focuses a lot on doing things as a team and most of the time this was the focus so the interactions between the characters were really very important and could either 'make or break' this book. For me it really made it.
Overall this is a great read. You will find yourself feeling all sort of emotions, one second you may me laughing and the next your eyes will be glued to the book and your heart beating fast while trying to read as quick as you can! Lindsay is a writer to look out for and l am sure when you read one of her books you will be wanting to read another!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good way to lose an entire day..., 23 July 2011
J.M. Poole (Lk Havasu City, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
A friend of mine, Scott, suggested this book to me, so I decided to take him up on it.

It's very well written, colorfully descriptive, and has very believable characters.

This story follows a female enforcer, Amaranthe. Without giving out spoilers, she's tasked with seducing and elimintating the kingdom's deadliest assassin, Sicarius. However, when she's framed for a crime and thrown in prison, she escapes captivity and joins forces with the assassin and several others to try and save the emperor's life.

The writing was smooth, the action flowed beautifully, and the scenes were wonderfully described in detail. The dialogue had me laughing out loud several times. I did enjoy Amaranthe's dilemma in having an assassin as an accomplish as they clearly do not see eye to eye on a great many things.

I do see that the second book has been released by this author. I'll be picking this up this weekened and can be certain that'll I'll gladly lose another day immersed in these worlds.

Great job, Ms. Buroker!

5.0 out of 5 stars "I didn't faint, I passed out in a manly way", 12 Aug 2013
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
This book combines fantasy, steampunk, adventure, thriller, comedy and drama, together with light hints of romance; The romance here is like it used to be in the tv show NCIS; there is the odd hint of it between the characters here and there, but it isn't the main focus of the plot. Just how I like my non-romance books - it doesn't overpower the plot, it is like a garnish that tops everything off.

Amaranthe is a woman struggling to get ahead in a mans world, but the author doesn't make her all "I'll do this all by myself and prove you all wrong", to the point of shooting herself in the foot. She actually makes for a very likeable heroine. She isn't a coward, but she doesn't wander around putting herself in a endless loop of dangerous situations and she knows when to back the hell away. She isn't anyone's doormat, but she realises that sometimes she'll be better off keeping silent. In other words she doesn't irritate me by being a dumb, horror movie-like bimbo, whilst still having vulnerabilities to go with her backbone.
I also really like that the author doesn't try to romantasise Sicarius, unlike so many other fantasy books these days. He is who he is and does what he does, and doesn't apologise for it or justify himself to anyone. In other words he is what I picture a assassin to be. The most believable borderline sociopathic alpha in a mainstream fantasy-with-a-touch-of-romance since Karen Marie Moning created Jericho Barrons.

I enjoyed the heck out of The Emperor's Edge - to the point of sitting up in bed into the small hours, as 'just one more chapter' lead to me reading half a dozen more. Then as soon as I finished the book, I went to my Kindle Store to buy the whole series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Pleasure, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
My experience of self publishing authors has been very poor; so is was with some reluctance I started to read this book that had been 'recommended' by a friend. I have just finished reading the first five books straight through. Clever writing and plot twists that only improve with each book, and with characters you find yourself caring far too much about. An outstanding read. Five Stars and worth everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this book, 30 July 2013
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
Downloaded this as a freebie read, it's a full length novel which surprised me! Storyline gripped me from the start, good characters, good strong characters even, laughs, suspense, intrigue...this book has it all. I've now downloaded book 2 and am really happy that its there waiting for me. Give this a go, you'll enjoy it

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
this book started slow, and i very nearly gave but didnt as it began to pick up midway through. i finished, but have to say, it didnt do anything for me! i found the heroine consent annoying, she seemed to have an idea, and boom! its all planned ready to go, nothing in between. the male lead was dark and dangerous, and nothing given away about him til very near the end, which made for some repetitive reading.
it was a free book, and i shall not be getting anymore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light Entertainment, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
The book was fun, well-written and moved at a good pace. The characters were likeable, and funny, though not terribly deep. There were even a few twists and turns that weren't exactly predictable...but the overriding problem was that very little of it was believable. The main character's good luck and naive perserverence, the assassin's superhuman nature, the team's spirit, almost everything about the Emperor, and large swathes of the plot lacked plausibility and made the whole thing feel very YA, even if some of the content wasn't supposed to be (?). Still, perfectly good read for free, and I wouldn't mind reading the others...but I'd rather go after something more substantial.

3.0 out of 5 stars Was a good enough read - more of a light snack than a main meal., 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
Ok, so I picked it up for free and wasn't sure how it would go (as many other freebies have seriously disappointed). This one is ok.

It's a pretty light and amusing, with well built-up characters and interplay between them. The plot was all a little bit too far fetched (this coming from someone who likes wizardry and dragons!), but I don't mind overlooking bits of relative realism when it comes to the bigger story. It's just the whole double-tough, super-awesome assassin deciding to backup this girlie Enforcer and her fanciful scheme just felt like a big reach.

It was an enjoyable enough read though. The story had a good flow and there wasn't anything that irritated me so much that it detracted from my being able to get into it. Would I recommend it to people to read? Sure, if you'd like something pretty short, easy and relatively entertaining. Would I read the next book? Mmm.. I'm not so sure. It's just that little bit too "light" for me, but if I didn't have anything else to read and it was free, then possibly.

3.0 out of 5 stars the emperors edge, 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
Whilst I did enjoy this story and the characters portrayed, I felt it lacked a little in depth..it moves from one scene to another without any consideration of action involved. I think this is a great book for teenagers, it is very easy to read and can we read in one sitting. I will probably buy the second book because I am interested in where the story goes. It you want an enjoyable easy read this is it. it you want something and little bit more grown up try G W Dalquist, same kind of theme but more detail and more twists.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and start to a series, 20 July 2012
This review is from: The Emperor's Edge (Kindle Edition)
I took a chance on this as it was free, and to be honest the blurb was a 'should i give it a try?' I did and so glad I did.

Amaranthe develops nicely over the book, and through the whole series she grows and develops into herself.

The assassin Sicarius is cold, calculating and extremely efficient, and yet Lindsay's writing draws you in. You want more of him, to discover his secrets, and at the end of this there is a BIG secret revealed. And if you are a hot blooded female then you will fall in love with him.

Books is the daddy of the group, but so delicate you want to mother him, but again he grows and develops over this book and the series as a whole.

As to the other characters. Maldynado is, well he's a male tart but so loveable with it. he is permanently full of joie de vivre that you just have to love him.

And the kid of the group has any many hidden depths that start to come out over the series.

If you want to enter into steampunk territory then this series is perfect. This is a great book to enter into without it being very full on like Mann's series but it drags you in and carries you along at a breakneck speed. Lindsay thankfully doesn't spend paragraph after paragraph describing his world or scenes. he lets you develop the images in your head as you read from what his characters say and do, just like the master writer Terry Pratchett does in his Discworld.

Give this book a go, and i will be surprised if you don't then buy the other books in the series, devour them, then devour the Flash Gold novelettes and then are baying for the next installment out in September.

Go on, be brave.