5.0 out of 5 stars I had no idea.....
Published on 2 Jun 2006 by Samantha

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a list than I expected
Published on 7 Feb 2009 by Leo P. Wirtz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a list than I expected, 7 Feb 2009
Leo P. Wirtz - See all my reviews
Although this book does what it said on the tin I had expected a little more detail on some of the uses rather than a brief insert. There is clearly a multitude of uses for this overlooked plant and it would be nice to deconstruct its misconception as a useless and irritating weed; to some extent this book does that but with further explanation our parks and gardens could transform into a treasure trove of potential through one plant alone.

So how did the Egyptians extract oil from nettle seeds for their lamps? I want to do it!!

It does contain some good recipes and a description of how to make cordage but I would buy for reference and maybe not for the practical application.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate and light on knowledge, 13 July 2009
I was excited when I saw this book title...a whole book about one of my favourite plants. Sadly, I was disappointed when I read it. The depth of knowledge presented is too light to be of much use. It would be impossible to recreate many of the uses of nettles using this book as a guide, and some of the stinging nettle illustrations are actually pictures of a completely different plant!

5.0 out of 5 stars I had no idea....., 2 Jun 2006
I am an alternative healer and have known for some time that stinging nettles can be put to a number of uses, but this book has been a real eye-opener. It's written in a friendly chatty style, at times funny, but all the 101 uses are quite valid. Some are historical but many can still be used today. I have a whole new respect for this amazing plant and am already using it more - for myself as well. If you're interested in the use of plants this book is just fascinating. I keep wanting to tell people bits from it - "Did you know..."! It would also make a great gift for a gardener who thinks of the nettle merely as a weed!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was amazed and enlightened!, 23 July 2006
After reading this book by either dipping in to seek what you wish to know - or from cover-to-cover - you will be intrigued and delighted!

It is, quite simply, the definitive guide to that much-maligned plant: the nettle.

This book has become invaluable to me in my work of complementary therapy. It has joined the many excellent books that I suggest to my clients, if they seek alternative remedies that work.

I have no doubt that whatever interests you have - you will love this book and its priceless information.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book, 10 Jun 2014
Want to know what to do with the kids over the holidays, get this book, you will change hearts and minds with this gem.

This is a book for all, great gift for all ages and interests, A slice of history, a bit of money saving, a step down memory lane:-

To making potions and turning the kitchen into a willingly surrendered science lab.

Beauty au natural; lotions and ointments. who knew the humble nettle could be so much fun, And there is a beer in it for you if you wish.

Bags of fun and information a real must have, packed with new ideas for christmas gifts of a home made nature to presents for all at a saving with fun fun fun all the way.

Perhaps get a pair of garden gloves for a quid to help with the picking and do not scare the nettles if you use your hands !

Really very Recommended especially for holidays and family fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but thin, 8 April 2014
Bit thin - was expecting more information about the herb and more challenging recipes. The ones in the book tend to be on the obvious side - like nettle tea or soup. For the price, however, I reckon the content must suffice. Decidedly not a compendium on nettles..

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little fun book, 19 Nov 2013
I bought this book with a potential presentation in mind which never came to fruition but I enjoyed looking through it all the same. I 'm not sure about some of the uses they suggest for nettles(our nettle rope broke!) but it was fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: 101 Uses for Stinging Nettles (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic book, very interesting. It is amazing the amount of things you can do with a nettle. Very informative read

3.0 out of 5 stars 101Uses for stinging netttles, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: 101 Uses for Stinging Nettles (Kindle Edition)
A very interesting little book that could make a useful addition to the country's garden bookshelf. It's tendency to pendantry makes it unsuitable as a bedtime read unless you are the sort of person that reads recipe books in bed, however, as an introduction to a valuable herb and fascinating plant this publication is probably unsurpassed.

2.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, 3 Aug 2013
Bought this as we have loads of nettles so thought i'd try and make use of them, but it's not a good book, it's simply a list of things they can be used for but is not descriptive on how exactly to use them, it's also very vague, using a lot of 'it may help' or can possibly aid' rather than factual usages.

Sent back for refund.