5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read
What a fabulous story! I was hooked from page one and found it hard to put this one down! Diane Chamberlain has written a riveting story, with likeable, believable characters and a plot that twists and turns on every page.

The story is about love, family, betrayal and relationships. Very cleverly, she has written the story in a dual-time narrative. The...
Published on 23 Jan 2010 by Lincs Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars A pageturner, but with reservations
I really enjoyed this book and foundthe story very gripping. The character and love story of Sarah were very moving. But...I just didn't find Dylan's sudden interest in and devotion to Emma remotely believable. It seemed just too good to be true and ended up irritating me. This was the first book by this author that I had read, and maybe it is characteristic of her? But I...
Published on 26 Jan 2011 by JH

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment..., 29 Mar 2011
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Breaking the Silence (Paperback)
I have read and enjoyed all of DC's novels so I took for granted that this one would be no exception and thoroughly entertaining. The first half of the book is exactly what I expect from this author - wonderfully emotive writing and the build up of tension - the second half, quite frankly, could have been written by an entirely different person!!
Laura loses her father at the beginning of the book and his last request - to find a lady named Sarah Tolley at a local residential care home - sets off a chain of events that splinters off into lots of different directions and this is the strength of the novel. I was genuinely very intrigued as to why her daughter Emma was refusing to speak following the suicide of her father, Ray and also Sarah Tolley, struck down by Alzheimers - what is the missing link to Laura and her family??
The weakness, which for me totally overtook the book to the point where I was speed reading simply to finish it, was that it just got so unbeliavable! As Sarah Tolley reminisces, we are taken on a journey through the bizarre psychiatric human-testing of the 50's where unwitting mental patients were indiscriminately detained and often lobotomised. Another strand - where Laura falls falls in love -is so cheesy and schmaltzy, it bordered on really bad romantic writing and was very predictable - to the point where all intrigue is lost.
With DC coming from a psychologist background, I was surprised by how bad this novel was - even the techniques of the therapist were questionnable (Im trying desperately not to plot-spoil here!)...
Anyhoo, if you dislike this novel as much as I did, please dont let that put you off her other work - this is not typical of her usual writing. I just fear that she is going the same way as Jodi Picoult - some really fantastic novels followed by some very repetitive, lazy ones churned out at a rate fast enough to keep up with a growing fan base!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start but then............, 19 Jun 2011
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking the Silence (Paperback)
This was the first book I have read by Diane Chamberlain and it began well. An intriguing story, Laura's father dies from cancer and with his dying breath makes her promise to take care of a woman of whom she has never heard. When she tells her self-obsessed husband he warns her not to bother with this elderly woman. She ignores his wishes and when she leaves the house for the first visit she returns to find her husband dead, apparently suicide, and her five year old daughter struck dumb. Pretty good so far.

The back story of Sarah Tolley the elderly lady suffering from Alzheimers is one of personal grief and increasingly of conspiracy theories gone wild. Her story is the core of the book around which the lives of all the other characters are revolving and it is an interesting story which draws you in. I felt however that the style in which these 'Sarah memory' sections of book were written was very plodding, very Janet and John.

Despite the good start my patience with the book waned the further I got into it. It kept drawing me on but I found the conspiracies and revelations less and less convincing as they pile on top of each other. The developing romance came to its inevitable conclusion and in the end I felt short-changed and disappointed.

I enjoyed the read but won't be rushing to buy another Diane Chamberlain novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars zzzzzzzzzzzz, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Breaking the Silence (Paperback)
Brilliant start. Then it all went downhill. I didn't like the way it kept going back in time like every two chapters. None of it linked up and i was getting really bored in the middle of it. So skipped a few chapters just to get to the end to find out why...he did what he did in the beginning. Couldn't finish this properly as i lost interest. Read a few pages towards the end to get the story but gave up. This is my 1st book ive read of this Author as i bought the bookset so i hope the next one will be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've read in a long time, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: Breaking the Silence (Kindle Edition)
As a male reader I was put off this in paperback as it looked a bit girlie. I downloaded the sample and I was hooked from page one. This has mystery after mystery all intertwined and you just have to read more to unravel a little more. I've been shattered at work this week due to reading until the early hours and only stopping when I was too tired to absorb what I've read. I thoroughly recommend this for all readers even if it's not your usual genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tale, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Breaking the Silence (Paperback)
This book is a great read. The tale splits between the present and the past, and captivates you until the two stories come together in the end to tie up all the loose ends. It really is very clever, and a couple of time I audibly gasped in shock, or in sympathy, or in genuine surprise. This is the second book I have read of Diane Chamberlain, the first being "the Lost Daughter" which again was fantastic.

I liked the main character, mostly for her flaws, and I like the fact that Diane Chamberlain doesn't over-sugar her heroines. The mute child was not overly saccharine either.

Great read. Now I am reading "Before the Storm".

5.0 out of 5 stars Diane Chamberlain's books are a must read, 24 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I always look forward to and enjoy Diane Chamberlain's books, and this was no exception. Her stories are thoughtful peeks at the human condition with twists that keep them fresh and new.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHAMBERLAIN NEVER DISAPPOINTS ME, 25 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Once again, I stayed up half the night to finish one of Diane's books. The characters were wonderful and I absolutly fell in love with the special relationship between Laura, Dylan and Emmah.

3.0 out of 5 stars Breaking The Silence, 9 Jan 2011
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breaking the Silence (Paperback)
Plot: I thought the plot of Breaking The Silence was very intriguing. There's quite a lot that's happening during the book, multiple plots at work and some were more impressive than others. I thought Ray's suicide added a lot to the book and I couldn't help but wonder why he had done it. Emma's muteness seemed a bit contrived, to be honest, but it was necessary to the book. My favourite plot strand though was Sarah's story. Sarah's back-story blew me away and I would have loved if the entire book was just about Sarah as her back-story really was that brilliant.

Characters: I must admit the only part of the book that I felt was lacking was the characterisation of Laura. I never really felt connected to her, I never felt as if I `knew' her. Of all the characters she was the one I felt the least connection to. I would have also liked to delve into Ray's life a bit more. Yes we learn things about him but it might have been nice if there was a diary or something that could have been put into the book to give his side of the story a bit more. Because frankly I just didn't like him, no matter what his intentions, he just seemed like a horrible man. Dylan, Emma's real father, was probably my favourite character, I liked him quite a lot and he really made the book sparkle. I did think the romance between himself and Laura was a bit... I expected it, but I also found it sweet. I also loved Sarah Tolley, she was such a vivid character and her memories from years gone by was impressive despite what was happening to her in the present as she's ravaged by Alzheimers.

Writing: I thought the writing was really impressive. It told the story very well without being overly wordy and I managed to finish the book fairly quickly. It was well-paced and the book just seemed to fly by quite quickly. Diane Chamberlain definitely knows how to tell a story and her easy writing style is definitely one that appeals to me.

Overall: On the whole Breaking The Silence impressed me. I wasn't sure whether I'd enjoy it or not but I did. The plot was very well done and the twists and turns were quite surprising. I didn't guess the big twist at the end, which is always a good thing, as I love to be surprised. In fact there were a number of twists and turns I never saw coming, and I was very impressed with how it all suddenly became clear. The only thing I query is Emma's muteness. The resolution of that was a bit too quick, which fanned my contrived flames (if that even makes sense). I'll definitely be reading more from Diane Chamberlain though she's definitely an author I enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...I feel like I just saw a WONDERFUL movie!, 30 Jan 1999
By A Customer
"Breaking the Silence" is the best book I've read in a long time --maybe since Diane's last book. Diane Chamberlain has a unique style that invites the reader into the world of her making, you feel like you're part of the story, not just a bystander. The story flows so smoothly from the present to the past that I found myself caught up in its drama, also in the lives of the charaters, wondering about them well after I had finished the book. Oprah, Why haven't you discovered this authur? All Diane's books are GREAT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Breaking the Silence (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book as I have all of Diane Chamberlain's books so far except for the ending which seemed to happen very suddenly and then it was all finished; as If the author ran out of space or interest. A kind of "and then they all went home for tea" ending which was a bit disappointing but even so still a very good story with plenty of twists and turns!

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›