5.0 out of 5 stars Gaga is unstoppable!
I bought this album after having watched her perform at the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Carlisle. I wasn't really a huge fan before, but now after seeing how much unrelenting talent and enthusiasm she has for making and performing music, I had to kick myself for missing out on it after all this time!
In terms of the music syle, Gaga holds absolutely nothing back. Filled...
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by Rowan

3.0 out of 5 stars She liked
bought this for my wife. She liked it
Published 27 days ago by dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaga is unstoppable!, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
In terms of the music syle, Gaga holds absolutely nothing back. Filled with everything from fast paced electro, synth, 80s pop, rock, techno, acoustic, honky tonk, there's pretty much something for everyone in this album. From the opening vocals of "Marry the Night" to the end beats of the "Born This Way Remix" the predominate vibes are liberation, empowerment and inspiration, a genuine feel good album, and coming from Gaga the queen of embracing identity, I would have it no other way! My particular faves are "Judas" (just for the sake of getting up and dancing your ass off wishing you had a dirty leather outfit on like she does!) "Hair" (this is a belter of a track, and makes me feel so much better) and also "Edge of Glory" which is another heartfelt and very danceable track.
A lot of people will say she's weird and just creates music off the back of other musical legends like Madonna (which to an extent may be true), but I believe she is very much her own person who knows her own mind and just does what she wants to do. Having been successful in spreading joy and inspiration to millions of people through the messages in her music, I find it quite hard not to love this woman.
I really reccomend this album, even if you're not a fan, I dare you not to get up and start dancing to it! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaga was Born This Epic, 15 Sep 2011
Esteban (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
An album that she deemed as being primarily for her expanding fan base, for most of Gaga's third album, Born This Way sees Gaga take a leap of faith away from the industrial RedOne dance pop that she performed every night of her incredibly successful Monster Ball tour, which hit the UK for 6 sold-out nights at the O2 Arena in 2010. RedOne co-produces just three tracks on the record - the amazing Judas, a progression from Bad Romance that talks about choosing bad over good even if you suffer for it, the inspirational Hair, with lyrics that only Gaga could pull off, and the sleazy Schiesse, written after a night out in the back room of a dirty German gay club.

Replacing RedOne is DJ White Shadow and Fernando Garibay, the latter having worked on one of the highlights from The Fame Monster, Dance In The Dark. The sound of the record begins to incorporate Bruce Springsteen American drive time rock, Journey-esque choruses, but with electronic dance beats. The opening track sets the pace, talking about Gaga's love for New York, her hometown - Marry The Night has a soaring chorus and epic key change that never gets old, leading into the album's divisive lead single, a powerful radio-friendly anthem that is the first hit single to use the words 'gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgendered life'. Overshadowed by unnecessary comparisons to a certain other blonde New York female popstar, who also had to tolerate unnecessary comparisons (admittedly ones that she would never admit to taking inspiration from), the track was a brave move for the world's biggest popstar. Gaga's Mugler Catwalk track, Government Hooker comes next, shortly before Gaga goes Espanol to discuss American immigration issues, discussing immigration laws, gay marriage and Christianity in one song, the rowdy Americano.

This special edition also includes the pre-built-for-fashion, Black Jesus Amen Fashion and the 80s Cyndi Lauper-esque, Fashion Of His Love and The Queen. Whilst not 'essential,' the latter two provide even more moments of joy on this inspirational record.

The album is not without a Gaga ballad or two, the precursor to the closing track is a surprising Shania Twain-esque Mutt Lange-produced country power ballad, originally performed acoustically at the Monster Ball. You and I is a dedication to her fans and to her boyfriend/ex, Luc Carl, a huge inspiration on her life from Nebraska. Almost out of place, yet so at home in the record, the fourth single from the album leads into the closer, the epic, moving The Edge Of Glory, written about her grandfather's death. ABBA-esque in the mix of melancholy with a soaring melody, the track sends shivers down the spine and is a perfect closer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album Ever, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
This was my Album Of the Year,I Love It wish it sold more copies but i love it more then others Gaga albums

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not amazing., 29 Dec 2011
Aido "Aido" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I'm such a Lady Gaga fan, I've been to some of her concerts, I even bought tickets to the Pussycat Dolls just because Lady Gaga was supporting them at the time. My natural instinct is to give this album 5 stars just because I love her so much!

I love The Fame and I love Fame Monster, but I feel that this album just doesn't live up to them.

Born This Way is full of likeable dance songs with elements of other genres clearly noticeable. There are elements of heavy metal, opera, techno, etc... Her creativity really stands out as each song is just so different. There are some pretty heavy dance songs and a couple of ballads.

While I like most songs on Born This Way, there is just no one song that stands out among the rest as a break-out song. Most songs are pretty good, but there is no song that I absolutely love. The Fame had Poker Face and Just Dance, The Fame Monster had Bad Romance and Telephone. But there is no equivalent on this album.

Saying that, I just had to have this album and don't regret buying the deluxe version. I had to have all the Gaga music I could get my hands on and I wouldn't change that.

At the end of the day almost everyone knows what Lady Gaga is about, and they don't need to be told whether to buy this album or not. But as a fan, it is a must-have.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good CD which shows Lady GaGa has a lot to offer..., 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
A mixture of great songs with other songs that I don't really think much of.
However, I think it is very different from The Fame/Monster, but the songs are still great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Pop Ecstacy., 27 Jun 2011
Julia Havard "Heights47" (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
Gaga is an undeniable talent when it comes to writing a pop song she has her foot firmly on the peddle and continues to create great pop music which is good but not exactly groundbreaking or original in the vein of bjork or kate bush. So to born this way my overriding feeling is that shes definitely pushed things forward and dropped some of the sugary sweetness that was found on the fame and retained the darkness and edge of the fame monster whilst adding a more eerie self reflective element with alot more of the songs having an overriding theme and concept with the best results being the singles and Blood Mary but the major problem again comes in the shape of the albums theme with her first two albums there was an undercurrent of the aspect of fame that she didnt take far enough but with BTW the theme is rammed into places and becomes tiring and a bit tedious like we get it we are born this way and your ex is your judas etc and also some songs ovverun and lose their potency whilst others start slow and end on a high making for a complicated and overwrought listen but it is definitely far more interesting than the first two albums just not the perfect pop concoction she wanted or claimed but there is scope for more from her as is evident on BTW. So although not the best or most original album this year or any other its a great pop album full of catchy songs and just as good if not better than either of The Fames.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing at first, great when listened to a couple of times, 26 Jun 2011
Borja Rosales Ingelmo (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
I bought this CD as soon as it came out and have to admit that I didn't like it at the beginning maybe because I had so high expectations about it and the music it contains is not what Gaga does usually, but I have to reckon that I cannot stop listening to it now, I strongly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the edge of glory, 23 May 2011
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
Review of the standard CD, i.e. not the 17-track Deluxe version.

After seeing her live performance at the Radio 1 Big Weekend at Carlisle a few days ago I felt compelled to buy Lady Gaga's new CD straight away - she was just sensational and I think I discovered several new sides to her talents and abilities. The album has 15 tracks including a bonus version of the title song 'Born This Way', a remix by Jost and Naaf. I was looking forward to hearing the studio rendition of the penultimate track 'The Edge of Glory' and wanted to play it first, have to say I was a touch disappointed with it as I believe she performed it better at the live show, but it's still excellent and reminds me of Bruce Springsteen in his heyday, it has that audience-participation feel to it with everyone singing along. As a whole the album can be simply played as a high-class dance backdrop for a party; the first seven songs are all fast-paced with a strong bass beat and the impression is that the singer is always trying her best to entertain, to please an audience. Track eight - 'Bloody Mary' - is the first to offer a more measured pace. Contrary to expectations there isn't really a stand-out classic, anthemic song such as we have come to expect based on her previous two albums The Fame and The Remix, instead the quality is consistently high from start to finish - there are no duds here at all, and the singer was at least partly responsible for writing all fourteen tracks. You would expect this to be a lavishly produced album in the musical sense and it surely is just that. One of my favourites is Americano, a raunchy foot-stomping number with a distinctly theatrical flavour and one I would like to see her perform live on stage - it's an emotive, fast-tempoed and exciting song. One or two songs such as 'Bad Kids' have a vaguely 1980s-Donna Summer taste to them, no bad thing as far as I'm concerned, I know there have been frequent mentions of (or comparisons with) Madonna but I don't find myself thinking in that way myself. Lady Gaga has her own identity that may have been inspired by some past icons but she's very much her own woman with a much greater depth of ability than I had previously given her credit for. This is simply a fantastic collection of songs with no weak points for me. I just wish the lyrics had been in larger print so that I could read them more easily!

I know Lady Gaga is just about the biggest singer in the world just now, but on this evidence she deserves all the praise she gets and I can only see her going on to even better things in the future. Must have played this album at least 15 times in a row and I'm liking it more and more every time. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 25 Jun 2011
This review is from: Born This Way (MP3 Download)
This was one of the best albums I had purchased in a long while. While already a Gaga fan, I think it was important not to have my download interrupted at the time of purchase or be told that there are technical difficulties by Amazon. The album, meanwhile, is a mix of 90's music, rock and roll, and a little bit of Gaga's own flavour which could be seen in The Fame and Fame Monster. Definitely worth buying the Deluxe version of Born This Way over the regular one, because the remixes and the extra tracks are fantastic, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb follow up record, 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
This album is arguably a little over produced and a lot of the songs sound vaguely familiar without being to quite pinpoint it. At times a bit like Madonna, or Pink, or Britney or many others (but then what or who is COMPLETELY new in pop today?) HOWEVER, those criticims notwithstanding it is nevertheless a brilliant record. Irresistible melodies, catchy choruses - it is every bit as good as her first CD which I thought was a classic. Indeed, it is probably stronger overall than the 1st record, although perhaps without having an outstanding classic pop song like 'poker face' or 'let's dance'. Gaga even succeeds in making German sound sexy on one song! A great record, and those like me who thought she would be a one album wonder and the follow up would be a turkey have been proved very wrong! Buy it, worth every penny. You wont be able to take it off your CD player.

Born This Way
Born This Way by Lady Gaga (Audio CD - 2011)