5.0 out of 5 stars Gaga is unstoppable!
I bought this album after having watched her perform at the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Carlisle. I wasn't really a huge fan before, but now after seeing how much unrelenting talent and enthusiasm she has for making and performing music, I had to kick myself for missing out on it after all this time!
In terms of the music syle, Gaga holds absolutely nothing back. Filled...
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by Rowan

3.0 out of 5 stars Going Gaga
I have to admit, i'm a bit disappointed.

All of the tracks on The Fame and The Fame Monster all sound different, however i listened to Born This Way in full on the train to work this morning and it struck me that most, if not all of the tracks feature the same kind of sound. A pumping, thumping base with lots of techno backing sounds. Where are the R&B...
Published on 23 May 2011 by Gemma

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaga is unstoppable!, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
In terms of the music syle, Gaga holds absolutely nothing back. Filled with everything from fast paced electro, synth, 80s pop, rock, techno, acoustic, honky tonk, there's pretty much something for everyone in this album. From the opening vocals of "Marry the Night" to the end beats of the "Born This Way Remix" the predominate vibes are liberation, empowerment and inspiration, a genuine feel good album, and coming from Gaga the queen of embracing identity, I would have it no other way! My particular faves are "Judas" (just for the sake of getting up and dancing your ass off wishing you had a dirty leather outfit on like she does!) "Hair" (this is a belter of a track, and makes me feel so much better) and also "Edge of Glory" which is another heartfelt and very danceable track.
A lot of people will say she's weird and just creates music off the back of other musical legends like Madonna (which to an extent may be true), but I believe she is very much her own person who knows her own mind and just does what she wants to do. Having been successful in spreading joy and inspiration to millions of people through the messages in her music, I find it quite hard not to love this woman.
I really reccomend this album, even if you're not a fan, I dare you not to get up and start dancing to it! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good CD which shows Lady GaGa has a lot to offer..., 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
A mixture of great songs with other songs that I don't really think much of.
However, I think it is very different from The Fame/Monster, but the songs are still great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the edge of glory, 23 May 2011
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
Review of the standard CD, i.e. not the 17-track Deluxe version.

After seeing her live performance at the Radio 1 Big Weekend at Carlisle a few days ago I felt compelled to buy Lady Gaga's new CD straight away - she was just sensational and I think I discovered several new sides to her talents and abilities. The album has 15 tracks including a bonus version of the title song 'Born This Way', a remix by Jost and Naaf. I was looking forward to hearing the studio rendition of the penultimate track 'The Edge of Glory' and wanted to play it first, have to say I was a touch disappointed with it as I believe she performed it better at the live show, but it's still excellent and reminds me of Bruce Springsteen in his heyday, it has that audience-participation feel to it with everyone singing along. As a whole the album can be simply played as a high-class dance backdrop for a party; the first seven songs are all fast-paced with a strong bass beat and the impression is that the singer is always trying her best to entertain, to please an audience. Track eight - 'Bloody Mary' - is the first to offer a more measured pace. Contrary to expectations there isn't really a stand-out classic, anthemic song such as we have come to expect based on her previous two albums The Fame and The Remix, instead the quality is consistently high from start to finish - there are no duds here at all, and the singer was at least partly responsible for writing all fourteen tracks. You would expect this to be a lavishly produced album in the musical sense and it surely is just that. One of my favourites is Americano, a raunchy foot-stomping number with a distinctly theatrical flavour and one I would like to see her perform live on stage - it's an emotive, fast-tempoed and exciting song. One or two songs such as 'Bad Kids' have a vaguely 1980s-Donna Summer taste to them, no bad thing as far as I'm concerned, I know there have been frequent mentions of (or comparisons with) Madonna but I don't find myself thinking in that way myself. Lady Gaga has her own identity that may have been inspired by some past icons but she's very much her own woman with a much greater depth of ability than I had previously given her credit for. This is simply a fantastic collection of songs with no weak points for me. I just wish the lyrics had been in larger print so that I could read them more easily!

I know Lady Gaga is just about the biggest singer in the world just now, but on this evidence she deserves all the praise she gets and I can only see her going on to even better things in the future. Must have played this album at least 15 times in a row and I'm liking it more and more every time. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb follow up record, 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
This album is arguably a little over produced and a lot of the songs sound vaguely familiar without being to quite pinpoint it. At times a bit like Madonna, or Pink, or Britney or many others (but then what or who is COMPLETELY new in pop today?) HOWEVER, those criticims notwithstanding it is nevertheless a brilliant record. Irresistible melodies, catchy choruses - it is every bit as good as her first CD which I thought was a classic. Indeed, it is probably stronger overall than the 1st record, although perhaps without having an outstanding classic pop song like 'poker face' or 'let's dance'. Gaga even succeeds in making German sound sexy on one song! A great record, and those like me who thought she would be a one album wonder and the follow up would be a turkey have been proved very wrong! Buy it, worth every penny. You wont be able to take it off your CD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaga over Gaga, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
Bought this CD for my Husband as he is literally gaga over Lady Gaga. I dont mind her, but having said that, I have to say this CD is brilliant. I cannot say that there is one bad track on this follow up ...... all in all a great CD & a great price!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, 1 April 2012
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
A mere masterpiece in Pop. Marry the Night is probably the best song she has ever produced with its esoteric Christian background being subverted into her own Pop Philosophy. It would not surprise anyone if she had read Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces. The reason I don't give it 5 stars is because of self-indulgent reasons. I would have loved it if she had aligned the concept with what she had spoken about in interviews about this album, and I believe she relies on the image for this concept more than her lyrics and music. For example the photograph of her bent forward on the back is a definite nod to a mythological god I cannot quite remember the name of yet none of this is referenced in her music.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPA!!, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
This is a great album....certainly money well spent! Item arrived very quickly on the free post option even though it was ordered over the christmas period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of 2011, 10 Jan 2012
While "21" is good, it's still pretty much the same stuff repeated throughout the songs. "Born This Way" is a masterpiece, with themes like religion, self-empowerement, sex, rebirth and death, all wrapped in a multitude of genres, like stadium rock, honky-tonk, mariachi, house and electro.

I couldn't recommend this any higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paws up to Mother Monster, 30 Dec 2011
Natasha Kikas (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born This Way (Audio CD)
On first listening this album slightly disappointed me with only a few stand out tracks such as 'Scheibe', 'Judas' and 'You & I'. But on second listening this album soon gets under your skin and has you dancing around, singing your heart out as if you were Gaga yourself. Her style is infectious and the beats (although repeated) are the soul of the album. Gaga's vocal talent is streched to its best and each song shows what an amazing artist Lady Gaga really is. Without a doubt this was one of my favourite albums of 2011 and is constantly played wherever i go. No matter what people think of the Lady herself, her talent is undoubtable and this album most definately proves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paws In The Air For Our Lady, 23 May 2011
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
There is a moment on Lady GaGa's new album 'Born This Way' (the
opening bars of 'Americano' to be exact) where I laughed out loud
spontaneously with pure joy! This beautifully crazy song bursts into
life like a little-known outtake from a Mexican production of 'Fiddler
On The Roof', complete with brassy and brazen Mariachi trumpets!

Lady GaGa is a phenomenon and this sophomore release is in many ways
phenomenal. That Ms Germanotta has detractors and naysayers aplenty
is inevitable. She's big and brash and seems to be everywhere all at
once at this moment in time; some have seen this as tireless self-
promotion but I would tend towards a more gererous view. She's a
hard worker, a trooper and a fiendishly talented entertainer!
That she also possesses a very fine voice, writes memorable and hugely
infectious pop songs and can dance up a storm are not affectations but
clear evidence of a truly gifted performer with a big heart!
(She is also very funny which tends to get left off the list!)

'Fame/The Fame Monster' was bound to be a hard act to follow but with
its relentless upbeat energy 'Born This Way' sweeps everything before
it like a roaring great white wave . What it lacks in subtlety
it more than makes up for in unbridled enthusiasm and good humour.

There are fourteen songs in my edition (I don't do "Deluxe"!) and
every last one of them packs a punch. Some of them, like the wonderful
'Hair', bring the epic rock anthems of Jim Steinman to mind (especially
his work with Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler) but listen carefully and there's
a little sprinkle of Springsteen in there too (Clarence Clemons, sax
player with the E Street Band is there to lend a hand as well).

The singles 'The Edge Of Glory' and 'Judas' are impossible to sit
still to; 'Electric Chapel' has credible and creditable rocky "edge";
opening track 'Marry The Night' is a simply sublime dark disco explosion
and 'You and I' amply demonstrates (as if proof were any longer
neccessary) what a marvellous singer Ms Germanotta is ( there's an
interesting and successful choice of producer here in the shape of
Robert John "Mutt" Lange - Shania Twain's Ex!) Storming stuff!

Her "little monsters" (together with at least one large hairy one) and
friends of Ms Gale everywhere have instinctively understood the spirit
and intention of Lady GaGa's raison d'etre. Listen no further than the
ecstatic chorus of 'Highway Unicorn (Road To Love)' to comprehend what the
fuss is all about. There's a party going on here and everyone's welcome!

Essential.

Born This Way
Born This Way by Lady Gaga (Audio CD - 2011)