5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Summer sounds -- perfect for Winter!
Having heard little bits of Hawaiian-born American singer Bruno Mars here and there on Youtube (enough to remember him), I saw this in the supermarket today and took a gamble on it. Glad I did! ... It's not my usual thing (I'm more into Ska, Rock and Indie), but I took an instant warm to "Doo-Wops and Hooligans".

I suppose, given his LA/Hawaii roots, his...
Published on 18 Jan 2011 by Amazon Customer

I wish that people would stop swearing on their albums, it makes it a useless item when you are too scared to play it at home or in your car when you have a 9 year old child that you are trying to bring up the right way!! They need to think about what influence they are having on our children!!
Published 10 months ago by paul1

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Summer sounds -- perfect for Winter!, 18 Jan 2011
Amazon Customer (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)

I suppose, given his LA/Hawaii roots, his musical style is somewhat understandable: from the first track, my room filled with an uplifting (and stylish) mixture of breezy, summery pop (lightly influenced by cool, urban reggae -- though it's more pop than anything). Bruno's soft (lightly falsetto) voice is perfectly matched with his cool-beats and Caribbean-toned music. It feels like you should be listening to this on a hammock with a glass of coconut juice and crashing waves beside you ))

The songs are a blissful mixture of sunny romantic ballads and lazy chillout tracks. Personal highlights, are the addictive opener "Grenade" the appropriately titled (and infectiously inspirational) toe-tapper "The Lazy Song" ("Today I don't feel like doing any-thing...") and the moving "Count on Me". That said, though, there isn't any really any filler on the album: due to the style it's just perfect for kicking off your shoes and lying down with a of cuppa ))! My only ("slight") niggle, is that track 2 "Just The Way You Are" sounds very similar to Alicia Keys "Doesn't Mean Anything" (Element of Freedom). So close as to be little more than a complete rip-off!....(Search out the mash-ups online, they fit almost perfectly!)

Quibble aside you can't really go wrong with this album. If you like lazy, chilled-out, uplifting music go out and get it -- it's the perfect tonic for all those blue, wintry days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat yourself!, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
I treated myself to this CD because my grandsons were always singing songs from it, and I kept hearing Bruno Mars on the car radio on my way to work. I was already familiar with 'Grenade' and 'Just the way you are', but 'Our first time' has a great reggae beat to it and it's so good to hear Damian Marley featured on 'Liquor Store Blues' - I've spent half my life listening to Bob Marley's music. Celo Green is featured on 'The Other Side' and he has a huge voice (bought his album too!). To keep it brief, there isn't a track on here that I don't enjoy, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, a must buy!, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
If you have any doubt in your mind whether or not to buy, let me persuade you.

You start with Grenade, fantastic song, fantastic lyrics.

Just the way you are. Tell's it how it is, the only problem is, you won't look good infront of your girlfriend while this is playing in the car.. Bruno tops you everytime with the lyrics!!!

skip past 'our first time' if your mum is with you, can be a bit awkward!!! very suggestive lyrics..

Runaway baby is brilliant, my personal favourite. Such an energetic song to portray Bruno's vocal talent.

The lazy song is a fun little tune, basically tells you what you should be doing on a lazy saturday!

skip to talking to the moon, simply amazing. just amazing.

Liquor store blues, with damian marley is fantastic,

the other side, somewhere in brooklyn and talking to the moon acoustic top this album off.

Only downside is CD case was cracked at the front and on the top joint, i simply replaced top cover with an old CD!!
although i think this was Royal Mails fault due to slight damage to packaging...

Please buy and Enjoy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great persent for the husband!, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
I bought this or rather my daughter did as a fathers day gift. My husband is a fan of bruno mars & so is my one year old, they both loved the album & cudnt have picked a better present.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doo-Wop is great!, 18 Feb 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
Great CD,lots of different styles of tracks. Enjoyable listening in the car! Appeals to a variety of ages, I would recommend it to a friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
This is a great album, I love Bruno though!! Also got it cheaper off Amazon than itwas on the high street.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasantly Cohesive Experience, 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
As debut albums go, this was a very solid start from Bruno Mars, with plenty of well-known tracks that were etched into the public conscience, including the catchy Runaway Baby, the Grammy-winning Just the Way You Are, and the borderline-infamous The Lazy Song. The rest of the album is an enjoyable mixture of reggae-pop that remains distinctive amongst Mars' other work since the release of Doo-Wops and Hooligans. There is an excellent gem in the form of The Other Side, with a superb use of Cee Lo Green and B.o.B providing their vocal skills to such a poignant track.

Doo-Wops and Hooligans is a solid album that should have plenty of listening value not because of its massive hit singles, but as a pleasantly cohesive experience from the charming yet cheesy Grenade, to the acoustic piano version of Talking to The Moon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
Recently bought this album and have to say it's one of the best albums I've bought in years - loved every song and would thoroughly recommend

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Bruno Mars but hate his swearing - ruins the whole album, 9 Feb 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Music even the middleaged can enjoy, 22 Feb 2012
Mrs. T. SALMON "upstreamers" (streatham london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Doo-Wops and Hooligans (Audio CD)
I am a middle aged woman and I really like Bruno Mars, his llyrics are more poetical than a lot of the other stuff around , his singing is clear and the lyrics are very tongue in cheek. I wont write loads of other stuff as it has all been writen and unless you have been on the moon for the last year then you can not avoid hearing him.

Doo-Wops & Hooligans