4.0 out of 5 stars A good book to read and then want to tell everyone about
Not my usual thing but I'm a typical female reader who reads anything my Mum says is amazing- and she's always right!

Ten times better than Eat, Pray, Love here is the woman you would go to in times of need! Janzen is funny, thoughtful, optimistic, her story moves in ways you wouldn't expect with the frankness and laughter of a good friend. She's brave too, and...
Published on 10 Jan. 2011 by Vanity Fair

3.0 out of 5 stars Mennonite Marmite
Forty-something American/Canadian Rhoda Janzen has had a terrible time of it. Her wonderful, gorgeous husband has left her for for a guy called Bob who he met on Gay.com and her troubles multiply as, in the same week, she is hospitalized following a serious road accident. Incapacitated, she decides to return to the bosom of her Mennonite family to lick her wounds...
Published on 13 Mar. 2011 by Lovely Treez

2.0 out of 5 stars Not uplifting, 28 Mar. 2011
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book quite interesting as I didn't have any previous understanding of Mennonite culture, but unfortunately I found it quite difficult to read as the writer, although she may have had some positive moments during her life, focussed a lot on the negative experiences and left me feeling very flat, it could have been quite uplifting.
However I would say that this book is worth a read even if only to get aquianted with what is quite a private religion, but if you don't have any interest in that area I wouldn't read it for entertainment.

Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars A super read, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home (Kindle Edition)
I read about this book in a review in The Week. There was something about the review that piqued my interest, but I can't remember what! However I'm glad I did as it was an excellent read. There's something warm and likeable about the first person narrator and her mother. It made realise once again the down side of my Knidle - I can't pass the book on to somebody else to read and it is the sort of book you want to tell other people and about and recommend they read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 Feb. 2015
Good

2.0 out of 5 stars Mennonite gone mad, 17 Mar. 2011
J. Clarkson "Book Worm" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted to enjoy this book after reading the reviews, alas, it was like watching a Ronnie Corbett story that goes back and forth all the time just talking rubbish. It is like visiting a friend and the mother talking to your friend about family you haven't got a clue about. It just meandered into a brick wall. I am so sorry as I really wanted to enjoy this book, but I think it may have been better had I known who the Mennonites were in the first place.