5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable
Published on 29 Jan 2012 by Mrs. A. Nicol

1.0 out of 5 stars SPEND SPEND SPEND
Very disapointed with this film. Numerous scenes have been deleted from the original film. I was so annoyed at the chopping I wont be buying again from the BBC. Spend Spend Spend......more like Cut Cut Cut.
Published on 18 Sep 2011 by Staffy 45

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 29 Jan 2012
Mrs. A. Nicol (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful collection - humane, perceptive, life-affirming and humorous. The five dramas span several decades and are a record of our changing times, as well as showing how Jack Rosenthal's style developed. Rosenthal had great sympathy and understanding for all kinds of people, and this is what makes his dramas so compelling and timeless. My own favourite is "Cold Enough for Snow", but they are all unmissable. The commentaries by his wife Maureen Lipman give some interesting insights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Collection Of Jacks Best Work, 27 Jan 2011
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Was fortunate enough to gain this 5 dvd box set prior to release,watched all five plays and going to watch them again very soon...brilliant plays The Evacuees showed to it some of our friends young children...they were glued to it as if they were watching spongebob....36 years since it was made and a most captivating play for young and old.Barmitzvah Boy a treat to watch as well....Jacks own personal experiences...a great writer reflecting on all walks of life not just his own but on a vast aray of subjects as per other 3 dvd's in the box setJack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD]....Maureen no wonder why you loved him so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed, 8 Jan 2012
Elizabeth Wood "lizwood999" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
What a treat this collection is. Rosenthal is a master at mixing laughter and tears. I've been pining to watch Cold Enough for Snow again for ten years and it didn't disappoint. Bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mitzvah!, 28 April 2011
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I was just lamenting last month that these brilliant plays were unavailable on home release - and suddenly, here they are! Excellent writing as always from Rosenthal, and superb direction and acting from a cast including the great Jonathan Lynn, Adrienne Posta (did big sisters ever look so good in real life?) and some truly excellent performances from the kids in 'Bar Mitzvah Boy' and 'The Evacuees'. Maureen Lipman shines as the mother in the latter, while Maria Charles' character in the former is by turns infuriating and endearing. Splendid stuff. Recommended for all!

5.0 out of 5 stars great to watch, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great item and I would most certainly recommend it to others.
It is worth every penny paid for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great plays, 11 Mar 2013
BraddersW5 (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I was not too familiar with the work of Jack Rosenthal, but I had read about this DVD and remembered how much I'd enjoyed Eskimo Day, which had been on TV just before I went to Uni in the 90's and had resonated with me.

I was happy to see it had stood up to the passing time and was as moving and funny as I remembered. The rest of the plays on here were a revelation, in particular Barmitzvah Boy which was my favourite. All of these plays were wonderfully involving, clever, unique and often very funny.

I think it's a shame that television writers don't always get the acclaim that theatre or movie writers do, and I'm looking forward to getting the Jack Rosenthal ITV DVD next. I only wish TV writing was always this good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential viewing..., 21 Jan 2012
Mr. J. G. Lingham (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
...for any parent about to send their children off to university.

I bought this boxed set for my daughter, who with luck will head off there later this year. The film Eskimo Day, and its sequel, Cold Enough to Snow deal with the inevitable trauma associated with this important right of passage, the mix of elation and near bereavement as children move on with their lives, and leave grieving parents behind. Drawing on his own experience of the event, as we have come to expect Rosenthal weaves an acutely well observed and deftly scripted screenplay, that both informs and entertains, (his wife Maureen Lipman wonderfully well cast as one of the mothers). And ultimately leaves us knowing ourselves that bit better...and our children.

Though now more than 15 years old, both these films remain eminently watchable. Make your children watch them before they head off to uni. With luck, at the moment of parting they will think beyond their own short-term self-interest, and show some sympathy and understanding towards those old people who have looked after them for the last 18 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what my husband wanted, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
this is a favourite scriptwriter of my husbands so he was very pleased to receive it for his birthday. Sure he will get enjoyment for some time

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Rosenthal, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Brliliant to have this on DVD now - thanks to the BBC. Four wonderful stories from Jack Rosenthal and with his wife starring in all of them - simply great acting.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I got this as I remember the plays that were on the BBC and ITV years ago.I was a bit disappointed with this lot, not as I good a I remember them.Spend Spend Spend is the best one.

ARRAY(0xb34a52c4)

Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD]
Jack Rosenthal at the BBC Collection [DVD] by Maureen Lipman (DVD - 2011)
19.02