on 5 March 2006
I read almost a book a day, and yet this is the first review that i ever felt compelled to write, because it is so well deserved. Iain Moon has put in a lot of love and lot of research into this book. The Style Council were a band I grew up with, and this book takes me back in time, but also gives me so much info I never had. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it – though the book has 200 pages, it took me a full week to read it (neglecting all work and pretty much everything else during that time –so, solid reading from dawn until late into the night) – the reading is easy and flows, but it was so good, such joy to read it, listening to music, watching the videos, and simply fully immersing myself in that time.
If i got to get a time machine, I think I’d re-live my early youth following the book page by page. Thank you, Paul Weller (+ Mick Talbot, DC Lee, Steve White and the Honorary Councilors) for the music, the creed, the fun – and thank you, Iain Moon, for this book which is an absolute must – for Paul Weller fans who remember the era, but also for those who have seen Weller receiving the Brits in Feb 2006 and think this is only for The Jam and the solo career.
The Style Council was a group to which no other ever came close, and Iain Moon has written a book that fully captures that glory.
As soon as I finished it, I started reading it again. Strongly suspecting that the third read will also follow immediately afterwards.
on 5 April 2006
Mr Cool's Dream returns in a fully revised & updated edition. An absolute treasure trove of information for anyone interested in the most experimental period of Paul Weller's career.
TSC were the first band I followed from conception to break up. I was at the BBC studios in Manchester for their first live appearance on The Oxford Road Show in 83 and attended their last concert at the Albert Hall in 89. Throughout these years I followed every tour, their numerous TV appearances & radio sessions. Not to mention buying all of their releases with a passion. Every release was different from the last, they never had a distinct sound which they would stick to album after album unlike many of today's bands. They encouraged me to broaden my musical taste, be it jazz, soul, hip hop, classical, pop or funk. Without TSC, my musical taste would be very catholic.
Buy this book if you want to re-live the highs and lows of one of Britain's best and most underrated bands of the 80's, play Confessions Of A Pop Group and marvel at Weller's diverse musical pallette and remember that he promoted the album with a cheese & wine party in a gallery showing paintings influenced by each track on the album!!!
on 21 November 2008
The Style Council were my band, whenever I meet other Weller fans I always felt slightly apologetic for preferring The Style Council to The jam.

I had forgot about how important the band were to my late teenage years and early 20's and this book brought it back to me. So much so that I am now listening to my TSC boxset with new ears. I loved the book and autographed by Mr Munn himself as well.

A great purchase if you, like me, remeber the heady days of the early eighties where each single was an event by 'probably the best band in the world'.

Immaculately presented and meticulous in its detail this is a must for all fans of TSC and for weller fans in general( might open their eyes to Paul weller's best incarnation).

Well done Iain. Keep on keeping on.

Andy
on 10 April 2006
This really is an outstanding piece of work, the accurate details and the layout are fantastic - every style council/paul weller fan should have one!!!
on 26 February 2009
The level of research that went into what is obviously a labour of love is amazing. And, while it is ostensibly a meticulously chronicled month-by-month guide to the group, the book has a real narrative drive that makes it immensely readable. I also liked the fact that the cloth-bound book itself is cunningly coloured orange, like a certain Style Council album cover!

One thing I learnt immediately from the book is that I saw the second ever TSC performance - the infamous Brockwell Park gig, during which a hostile crowd, there to see The Damned and Madness, pelted the group with mud and beer cans.

I always thought the bruised and battered Style Council went off that afternoon after only two songs because of the danger of playing while missiles were being launched on the stage. But, thanks to Mr Cool's Dream, I discovered that they were only ever booked to perform those two tunes.

Details of every Style Council gig, TV performance, as well as tons of very useful info about record releases in all their variants, videos, DVDs, etc... it's all here.

To sum up, the book is an essential reference work on a group who were often ridiculed or dismissed in their day, but who have since been recognised, sometimes grudgingly so, for their willingness to experiment (and not to take themselves too seriously while they did it) and the sheer enduring vitality of their classic soul-tinged pop songs.

Highly recommended.
on 23 December 2010
Iain really is the last word on TSC. He carries a torch with so much passion and ignites it for fans past, present and future. For those who were there, he is the mind jolt you need to remember those times. For those who unfortunately missed those summers, he illuminates the passage of time of when this band topped the charts.
With so much information even those who took part can't remember, this really is a diary of the band (back in the days when the word `band' included those who played instruments).
Every writer, musician, producer etc. get their well-deserved credit and daily, Iain procures more and more info to keep his bible updated. Considered as the full and final word on The Council, he has built his reputation on obtaining exclusive interviews from those in the band and their associates.
The brim of my hat is always tipped to Mr Munn.
Download, read and slap on a TSC waxing and rediscover The Council.....
on 15 July 2011
Bought the book for my husband for fathers day because he is a mad Paul Weller /Jam /Style Council Fan and to say he was overjoyed with his present is an understatement!!!
The book is a fountain of knowledge with facts even my husband wasn't aware of (and he has been following Paul Weller for over 25 years). He is constantly informing me of what songs Weller wrote for numerous artists, how certain songs came about and how Weller / Style Council influenced other artists and influential people.
The author Iain Munn even signed the copy i purchased, which made the purchase even more special.
I cant praise the book, the author or amazon enough for purchase, a MUST for all Weller fans!
on 21 December 2010
Well-researched and a knowledgeable read, Munn has produced the consummate history of a 1980s legend. Just as Paul Weller and Mick Talbot, together with the really good musicians they gathered around them, can be proud of The Style Council, Iain can be justifiably proud of this tome. Admittedly, I am somewhat biased by my own mini-inclusion, but this is genuinely a good read. Let it take you back to the best of the 1980s. I've enjoyed the sample and look forward to reading the rest on my Kindle.
on 23 September 2012
The Style Council were easily the best British band during the early to mid '80s and still mean an awful lot to many people, including myself. Iain Munn has done a fantastic job in writing a book that has all the information you will ever need on what the Council were doing, when they were doing it and where they were doing it. The book explains the motivation behind a lot of what Paul Weller was trying to achieve with the Style Council and his legendary and brave decision to split up the top band in Britain, The Jam.

I've always thought I had a good knowledge of The Style Council until I first read this book in hardback but Munn has filled the pages with a treasure trove of small details which are a joy to read and there really is no other book worth getting if you want to know the whole story on The Style Council. Get this one because you'll read it once, maybe twice, but you'll constantly find yourself dipping into it whenever you have a Style Council disc on so you can read about the creation of the music you are enjoying.
on 23 October 2008
This is a fantastic book-a real classic. It will appeal to any music fan. Crammed full of interesting facts, good stories, humour & wit and unbelievable detail-definitely a must buy!