5.0 out of 5 stars Ever wondered why your family is the way it is?
An excellent book! Gave me a brand new persepective for myself up to my 30s. Understood why my family members (mum & dad) behave the way they do and that this behaviour has never been my "fault" as I always believed.
It also has given me a view as to my spouse and friends' family relationships which I always thought are better than mine!
Buy it if you want to...
Published on 18 Oct. 2005 by ELENA FALCONAKI

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy it.
Lost of information but lost on me. I have several books but seem unable to absort what in in them at present. The cost of these are always worth buying them though.
Published 3 months ago by penedawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever wondered why your family is the way it is?, 18 Oct. 2005
Buy it if you want to find out that you are not alone out there!Recovery can be achieved!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not crazy after all, 30 Aug. 2010
I felt that this book really did speak to my issues. I was relieved to see that this book deals with all the issues everyone else in my community wishes to ignore and keep quiet. By no means am I a worse case scenario, I understand others have it much worse than I do, but I have learnt a lot from this book that I would NOT get here in England.

If anyone has emotional problems or self destructive practises THIS IS A MUST READ. If anyone has been a victim of violence of any kind this will definitely help with the emotional scars.

It does not refer to itself as a cure all but it does encourage you to get help if you need it. The criteria of what constitues "need" are in the book.

I found that this book was enlightening as to the stages of development from birth to 18 yrs old and then from 20-29 years old.

It does offer a structure as to what help you should seek. It does not offer straight up solutions to any particular problem but this is because we all have different degrees of access to help and we all have different situations however slight the differences may be.

I thought the book ended well and I am determined to Kiss My Monster on the Nose. If you read til the end you will know what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well focused approach to codependency, 28 July 1998
By A Customer
Having read several books on the adult child isssue, I found this book to be the most straight forward and specific that I had read. This book explains the origins of the adult child, the process that can lead to addiction, and the personal work necessary to get to the root of the problem. While many books explain the symptoms and the cause of codependency, I found this book to also address what needs to been done to enter recovery. All this is accomplished is a very practical and easily read manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars ENLIGHTENING, 29 April 2014
Painful to realise I didn't come from a good functioning family, but there are no perfect families. The book really helped me understand the dynamics of my family and appreciate they did the best they could. Families have to function how they have in previous generations because that's all they know, but it helped me understand that point and feel more compassion for two parents who themselves had it tough and tried to keep things together whilst facing many challenges, such as illness, loss and financial hardship. Little or no emotional intelligence and societies expectations all go into the mix and you have to look at the bigger picture and find some compassion along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, enjoyable, and applicable!, 30 July 1998
By A Customer
John and Linda Friel not only discuss dysfunctional families, but more importantly, they teach the secrets of functional families! This is a first. The reading is easy for all levels and ages. Even my sixteen year old daughter said that it was very interesting for "one of those kind of books". This book provides a plan to be implemented over time. The authors really speak to the heart. It has given me effective words and language to use in situations that I would not have had previously. I will use Adult Children as a reference for quite some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adult Children. The secrets of dysfunctional families., 20 Dec. 2007
This book has to be one of my all time favourites. Straightforward and easy to read. The liberator from the pain of family dysfunction is education, and this book provides the guidelines to understanding why you thought you were going crazy but didn't know why.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent to the point of entering recovery, 27 July 2009
This is an amazing book. It summed up for me everything that was true about my life and explained in simple clear terms why I had spent so many years forming addictive behaviours. If you are contemplating or in treatment for addiction - drink, smoking, shopping, risky relationships, escapism - this book explains it all. But my review has to stop at the point of admitting your issues as it offers no real plan or formula for recovery. That must be another book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, amazing, 1 April 2014
F. Green "avid reader" (stratford upon avon) - See all my reviews
I ran away from home over 20 years ago but still struggle to break some conditioning patterns. This book really opened my eyes to the awfulness of my family life and has helped me to address some issues and knock them into shape so I can have a more fulfilling life with my own family. Absolutely essential reading if you have lived with controlling or insensitive parents. Has given me a new lease of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you ever wondered why you or someone you know ..., 6 Oct. 2014
If you ever wondered why you or someone you know act in some way and keep repeating cycles, this book is for you. I have it close to my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book! read it within 2 days, 23 Mar. 2015
excellent book! read it within 2 days! short, straight to the point, lots of vital information without all this so popular nowadays cotton wrapping, but at the same time no judging! I learnt a lot about myself, my relationships with my family and other people around me and what I need to work on to have a better life. recommend to anyone who has even a gnawing little feeling that something is wrong with him or the world :)