4.0 out of 5 stars This could help sort your relationship out!
Having already read one book about verbally-abusive relationships this seemed to have good reviews so I tried it - very good. Although I did have one or two differences of opinion when she said that people could/should respond to their abusers because I found the suggestions for responses a bit weak. However, having said that, the book was very useful overall and...
Published on 24 Aug 2010 by C. Dimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Clearly written for a female audience but still useful
This is one of those books where you could start to look around the room to see if you're being secretly recorded because the experiences being written about are so close to one's own. Whilst very uncomfortable to experience, it's still comforting to know that it's not just you who get's battered without anyone knowing and your mate continues to be able to look like an...
Published 5 months ago by Mark A. Hodgson

5.0 out of 5 stars Verbal Abuse, 19 Jun 2014
It defines what verbal abuse is and this is not an easy thing to do. Verbally abusive partners are expert at giving a good impression to the outside world but this book gives the help and hope to the abused person.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to recognise and deal with verbal/emotional abuse, 2 May 2014
This review is from: The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to recognize it and how to respond (Kindle Edition)
Great descriptions of verbal abuse and how to handle people who try to abuse you.
Made me realise that I was right about my abusive marriage and what I had to do to change it. That meant breaking up and telling my husband to leave. It was such a difficult thing to do but now I'm feeling much better about myself, my future and my children's future.
I can now show them that's it's not ok to shout and be aggressive to someone you love.

5.0 out of 5 stars This speaks clearly into abuse both verbal and non verbal and gives us tools to move forward, 27 Mar 2014
i would highly recommend this as a must to read if you or a family member are suffering from verbal abuse. Although the book is focussing on verbal abuse within the context of marriage the context can be applied in as broad a context of how to deal with abuse in any aspect of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 12 Mar 2014
Very usefzl book and easy reading. I would suggest to anyone who is controlled by his partner and seeking answers.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 5 Mar 2014
This book has really opened up my eyes to what an abusive relationsip is all about. It makes sense to me now. Read it if you want to gain an awareness and if you want to get ahead and survive.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 13 Jan 2014
J. Mcloughlin (U K) - See all my reviews
A simple but very effective take on verbally abusive relationships, i had the book recommended to me and have recommended it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 22 May 2013
This was a highly regarded book when I started researching the subject. When I started reading I liked the style of writing and found it very supportive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight, 12 Sep 2012
I purchased this book for a client, it is particularly helpful as it lists abusive behaviour...often 'victims'do not realise they are indeed in an abusive relationship until thy see the signs written down..it provides the opportunity to acknowledge just this insight. It is also helpful in allowing them to recognise the thought that they are in some way to blame...that if they can change they will no longer cause the abuse.
I wish someone would write a book for male victims of verbal and physical abuse, they are almost the forgotten group, more hidden than female victims, and equally as destructive and damaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL EYE OPENER., 16 July 2014
A great read. Very educational. It deals with every form of relationship. From the home, working environment or evening a partner. It virtually saved my life.
I am really glad I bought it before it was too late.

Thank You.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Passionate and Empowering, 18 Dec 2010
H.S. (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Evans puts forward a clear message and outlines the types of "power over" tactics that charactarize verbally abusive relationships or any dynamic involving control and manipulationor undermining the other. This means that she is able to successfully sensitize "women" to this range of tactis, the potential impact on them, and how to respond to some of them.
Her message is crucial for anyone suffering in such a relationship.
The only criticisms are that she focuses on abuses by men to women over-emphazing the gender dynamic, does not pay attention to the range of responses to abuse by women, and how these may be understood (woman are portrayed only in the instance of recieving the abuse and trying to explain themselves, whereas they may engage in other tactics of self-defense and counter abuse. The methodology and writing could have been more rigorous but it does not undermine the overall argument and power of the book.