on 11 August 2011
I bought this book for two reasons:

1) to learn about the technology
2) to pass the exam.

The book is successful in giving an overview of the different technologies, but seems to scratch the surface. Many of the topics (jquery, MVC etc) would justify a book in their own right.

Having studied the book and done the end of chapter practice questions, I turned to the practice tests on the CD. It quickly became apparent that there were a lot of questions which the detail in the book did not cover.

I spent a lot of time going through all 200 question on the CD, making sure I understood why the answers were correct and the underlying principles.

Then I sat the exam. I would estimate that a good half of the questions could not be answered by just studying the book and CD.

I failed the exam, and don't feel that any amount of studying this material alone would enable me to pass. A lot of 'reading around' is required, and this isn't clear from the book.

Having said that, the book is a useful overview as a starting point of the areas that you need to study. It's just not the whole picture.
11 comment13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2012
This is the official study guide for an official Microsoft certification and although I've not yet sat the exam I already know that I'm going to have to read a good bit more material than is covered in the book. Just how much is anyone's guess though - until I've paid Microsoft to sit the exam I won't really know myself!

For a book that's roughly 900 pages long, the number of errors is staggering. The publisher's own website lists around 150 confirmed errata at the time of writing with a further 60 or so unconfirmed. Once I realised how many there were I set myself a challenge to find one more, it didn't take long and within a few days I had joined the large number of people who have submitted errata to the publisher. See [...] for the full list, then compare this with other books and you'll see just how bad it really is.

If I were cynical I might even suggest this is all on purpose...Microsoft sell you the book, have clearly not proof-read it for errors and don't cover all the materials to enable you to pass the Microsoft exam meaning you have to pay to resit and probably pay to get more books from them!
on 19 March 2012
First and foremost, this book contains around 200 confirmed errata (see [...]). This amounts to around 1 error for every 4 pages of text. This on its own is unforgivable and Microsoft Should be utterly ashamed.

On the content side, its ok. Personally, I would regard each section as introduction to the topic that requeis much deeper reading (for example, you're never going to expect 48 pages to adequately cover MVC)

And, on the subject of MVC, its MVC2, not MVC3. Given that at the time of writing MVC4 is in Beta, this can be deemed as somewhat out of date already.
on 21 November 2012
This is a very wordy and long book. It tries to be rigorous, the result is that it's very dry to read. Also, it misses plenty of important information covered by the exam.

I got the impression that the author writes these books by formula without putting in a lot of passion or even effort (and let's face it, memorising APIs is going to take a lot of effort on the part of the author to keep the reader's interest).

There are plenty of mistakes, some of the sample questions are poorly posed.

The book could have benefited a lot from further proof reading and editing.

Still, it's probably worthwhile for passing the exam and there doesn't seem to be another comprehensive printed alternative.
on 22 November 2011
There are so many errors in the book that you do need to be a bit familiar with the topic so you can take educated guesses as to what the author meant to write. The errors are not huge, but they will stop compilation. File names wrong, variable names wrong, that sort of thing.
Despite the errors, they don't really cause a disaster. Because of this, it does us good to work out the errors and fix the code. It doesn't take long. Be positive and look on the bright side.
There are also bits of information missing. So rather than complain and advise you not to buy the book, I would say buy the book and read around the topic by doing dummy exams or something to give yourself a full picture.

There are some neat things in the book, like how he evolves the writing so that we start to think for ourselves and recall past chapters.

Oh and also, maybe it's me, but sometimes I found it difficult to read and comprehend a sentence. Not very often - probably 10 times in the book.

Not a great book, it's ok but it will be a help. I don't regret buying the book.
on 17 October 2011
This book is well written (not too chatty, not too dry) - right from the early chapters I found myself being impressed with the amount of new and useful information being served up. I would suggest that the chapters on MVC and AJAX could have been more substantial - but this might be to do with the 70-515 curriculum.
on 19 March 2011
This book feels like it was written in a hurry.

There are basic errors in the code samples, which novice readers may not notice, and bits of it appear to be out of date (or copied verbatim from an earlier version of an ASP.NET text).

One of the most irritating things is the loose and casual use of language. For example, the author uses the term 'user controls' to refer to web server controls (DropDownList, TextBox etc) which is confusing because the term specifically refers to .ascx controls. Which does the author mean? The reader must make an interpretation. Technical books should be tight and rigorous in their use of language; this book is not.

In addition, the explanations of why, how and what a particular piece of the framework is and does, are largely waffle and uninformative.

I haven't taken the exam yet but bought this book solely for that purpose - to jump through the hoop. From that point of view, if it covers the exam material then it may be a worthwhile purchase. If you're a novice ASP.NET developer looking for a comprehensive introduction, definitely look elsewhere, this book is not for you.

On a side note, the technical level of the material here is very low. If the material covered by the book is any indication of the level of the exam, I would suggest the certification is virtually worthless. I certainly wouldn't make any hiring decision based on the completion of this exam.

Here's hoping the others are harder and much more rigorous.
0Comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2015
An excellent book and guide for those learning the ASP.NET Framework!
on 12 December 2014
Great book if you are willing to take the test. Recommend.
on 19 September 2015