5.0 out of 5 stars I can recommend this
If you are looking to get a Zacuto, Genus, LCDVF, etc...and you have come across this one and wonder whether its ok or not, then I can tell you that I have worked with this and managed to produce an assignment with it with ease.

Published on 17 Jan 2012 by MB

3.0 out of 5 stars Seagull LCD viewfinder
Well ordered this a couple of days ago and it arrived this afternoon. I own a zacuto z-finder and was intruigued by the seagull LCD viewfinder to purchase one and compare.

Published on 17 Mar 2011 by M. D. Norton

3.0 out of 5 stars Seagull LCD viewfinder, 17 Mar 2011
M. D. Norton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SEAGULL LCD VIEWFINDER FOR DSLR HD VIDEO (Electronics)

So how does this clone stack up to the original...Well it compares favourably...Infact when side by side there's a job telling them apart at first glance. they even use the z finder on the pictures of the packaging.

Build wise it's a heavy duty plastic and the knurled wheel on the diopter is easy to use, but firm enough to retain focus. The optics are clear, though you will find it cutting the corners off when you view directly into it..but you get that with most loupe viewfinders. Focus and clarity is sharp, not sure if the optics have the anti fog coating on that the z-finder has though but will find out at the weekend as I'm on a shoot with my kit.

One niggle...only one frame mount, the portion that sticks to your camera, is supplied...bit disappointed there as a spare would have been nice. But you can get them for 6quid.

I've fitted it to one of my 5d's and it is quite a secure fit. Bit of a job putting it on at first, as it requires quite a bit of force to put it on. Once it's on though it's not going anywhere fast.

Is there a down side to this nice little bit of kit...Well if you're a stills shooter as well as a video shooter, then there may well be...the frame sticks out about 5mm from the LCD...so if you're using the viewfinder you'll find you're frame digging into your nose...Now a magnetic frame would have been a better idea, but at a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the cost of a z finder I'm not arguing too much. You could argue that you can use this via live view to shoot stills, and yes you can indeed...but the drain on the batteries is significant when live view is on.

all round a good product that does as it says on the tin...I have marked it down a couple of stars because of the lack of a spare frame and the oversight of a good magnetic frame to attach it to the camera...Might call me mean, but if they'd been thereit would have turned something good to something great.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can recommend this, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: SEAGULL LCD VIEWFINDER FOR DSLR HD VIDEO (Electronics)

The glass fogs a bit after extended use but all you have to do is to get your eyes away from the eyepiece and then it will go away. The diopter helps me (I wear glasses) to have a clear picture. I am not fuzzy about distortion with this or vignetting because I only care to be able to see the scene sharp enough and well enough to make the shots. If you do wonder, though, I can barely see any distortion and minimal vignetting. All in all, an excellent product which you can rely on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good sturdy product, but deceptive description, 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: SEAGULL LCD VIEWFINDER FOR DSLR HD VIDEO (Electronics)
The other reviewer (Janek) makes a very good point, and the product description regarding the Diopter adjustment is indeed deceptive. My Viewfinder arrived today and I noticed immediately that the "adjustment knob" simply moves the eyecup further away from the LCD screen - I don't believe this is the same as having the supposed -4:+4 Diopter adjustment. I'm short-sighted (-2.75), and was relying on a Diopter system to enable me to use this without glasses. I was pretty disappointed, as the screen was blurry without my glasses on. However, I then read Oracular's post about swapping around the lenses inside the viewfinder itself; there are three lenses inside the Viewfinder stacked on top of each other. The order that these lenses are in changes how the optics work. I really have no clue about optics, so I tried swapping in the manner Oracular suggested (simply swapping the top and bottom lenses) and this didn't appear to work - it created a severe fish-eye effect. However, I then tried swapping them around in a different combination (I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact order, but there are only a limited number of ways you can swap them since two of the lenses are convex and won't fit any other way) and it fixed the issue completely. I can now use the viewfinder perfectly with/without glasses and without any fish-eye effect. Phew!

So, again - I totally agree with Janek, and it's a misleading product description. However, there is hope if you are short-sighted, it just takes some adjustments. I am not the kind of person who would normally want to open up a new purchase and take it apart, but it's pretty easy, and doesn't require any know-how or glue - just a screwdriver. I can't confirm if it works for far-sighted.

Finally, I was quite nervous to remove the lenses themselves from their hold, as the fit is very tight. I had to really push hard to get the lenses out, but they are pretty sturdy things and didn't suffer any damage. A final tip: Use your phones LCD screen to test it as you are swapping the lenses.

To sum up: 4 stars. It's a well made and sturdy product, and much cheaper than the alternatives. It of course loses a star for the confusion around the lenses.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 28 Mar 2012
This review is from: SEAGULL LCD VIEWFINDER FOR DSLR HD VIDEO (Electronics)
Just a quick note to say how outstanding this piece of kit is. I haven't used the more expensive equivalent but was keen to get my hands on this as all the reviews were saying that it was very similar in performance. And it was. Sturdy build quality and there is absolutely no worries about thing falling off.

I have used one of the cheaper versions of this, which you can get from ebay for a tenner and this is 100x better.

It's definitely worth spending that bit of extra buck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: SEAGULL LCD VIEWFINDER FOR DSLR HD VIDEO (Electronics)
I was expecting great things with this viewfinder, but to be honest the focussing ring really doesn't seem to do that much. Coupled with the fact I now have a plastic ring stuck to the LCD screen means that it is now more difficult to see the framing without the viewfinder. Overall not much better than the non focusable unit I already had for £20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally you can photographe in the sun, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: SEAGULL LCD VIEWFINDER FOR DSLR HD VIDEO (Electronics)
The problem with compact cameras is that their display becomes unreadable in sunny weather. This device allows to view the display - even magnified - in all circumstances, so you will never have problems to view your topics. The only minus is that the viewfinder is relative big, sothat in the end you do not have a pocketable compact camera anymore. A little inconvenient is also that the viewfinder lets relative little place for manupilating the joystick. All in all it makes your compact more versatile.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design... optically "challenged", 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: SEAGULL LCD VIEWFINDER FOR DSLR HD VIDEO (Electronics)
Design wise, just a copy of other popular (and far more expensive) choice, but once again... what you pay is what you get. Optically is not correct.
The user has to pull the loupe all the way up to have best -in focus- view of the camera screen, and even then it will benefit from being another extra few milimiters (almost 1cm) away to be correct. This might well be because the manufacturer just copied the design and put some cheaper/available optics group that just does not fit well in the distance/coverage ratio of the finder. And no, it's not my eyesight, I have worked with loupes in picture libraries looking at slides for quite a long time, and can tell you, this 3 element lens arrangement is just not correct for this design.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent addition to the bag, 2 Jan 2013
S. Daniels "Codders" (Hull) - See all my reviews
(Used on a t2i)

First of all, this really is a solid piece of kit. However I've found it to be a bit of a novelty rather then useful, the diopter in short is not very effective but then I have good eyesight so maybe I am missing something?

Handy when shooting video, but not essential if you are running something like Magic Lantern, haven't used it in very dynamic situations so unsure how it would effect focus response times.

In short, solid, well built, comes with a nice leather case, but is it essential..? I'd say not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than competitors but a great product, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: SEAGULL LCD VIEWFINDER FOR DSLR HD VIDEO (Electronics)
I was sceptical about buying a cheaper viewfinder but it works really well on my Canon. So far I'm very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Sep 2014