5.0 out of 5 stars Technological Gem
Published on 19 Jan. 2012 by Mr. Frank Broughton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad.
This device has some good and bad points.

Good Points are.
----------------

Plays AVI MKV files natively, (also others but those are MY main ones), just put onto main memory, better yet a micro SD memory card, and they play perfectly.

Plays MP3 files without problems.

Good sound through headphones (not...
Published on 5 July 2012 by NorthstaR

5.0 out of 5 stars Technological Gem, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Mebook - 7 Inch High Resolution eBook Reader + Super Media Player - 4GB White (Electronics)
I was very dubious when i saw this item advertised for such a low price with such good specs, I need not have worried, it does everything that it said, It plays my movies with really good definition,It plays my MP3 Music, It plays stores & plays back my photo's and I can read all my favourite books (in many different formats), I like how you can organise any of the files exactly how you need them.
My only negative is you cannot change the font size when in Ereader, but I can live with that.
I think it is a great piece of kit, I am impressed and at that price you can't lose.. buy one...
Frank Broughton

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what expected, 16 Oct. 2011
The mebook was exactly what I expected when I bought it. I received a wrong charger for the device, sent an email to seller and he inmediatly send me a new one, so very happy with service too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad., 5 July 2012
This device has some good and bad points.

Good Points are.
----------------

Plays MP3 files without problems.

Good sound through headphones (not tried the earbuds that came with it).

I like being able to read at night (setting brightness to 1) with no lights on (don't have to turn em off when you're done, which is a plus :P).

Seems well made, for a cheap device you cant really complain.

---------------
Bad points are.
---------------

Reading ebooks can be a problem, and considering its primary purpose is an ebook reader, then this is where it fails, although not completely.

You can read books as mobi, epub, fb2, txt, etc, as you can see there's quite a choice (and i haven't listed them all), the problem lies in formatting and speed.

I find none of the book extensions display the books correctly with various problems. The best one out of them all is "fb2" (as someone else mentioned in a previous review/comment), but there is a problem with this format too, its slowwwwwwwwwww to load any book that is a couple of megabytes in size, for instance Stephen Kings - The Stand is around 4mb, it takes more than a minute to load the book as fb2, which in my opinion is quite a long time, its OK once its loaded mind you. If you load the book as a text file its instantaneous, but then the formatting goes out the window and it doesn't look nice.

I like the device, its better than a plain old ebook reader because it has all these other cool features.

I wouldn't put anyone off buying one, but i suggest if you don't know, or aren't willing to learn how to convert books to the best format (fb2) for this reader, then you'll probably get frustrated with the formatting of mobi and epub etc.

Just to add a little bit more about ebook formats on this device.

Other formats like mobi and epub also open slow, this all depends on the formatting of the book AND size i suppose, so its not fair to say its just FB2 that is slow, its all dependent on the particular book... some open fast, some open slow... most seem fast... very few seem really really slow.

I am still happy with it. I just wanted to add that and clear up any confusion that may arise when people see other formats open up slow on certain books too.

4.0 out of 5 stars MeBook Review, 18 April 2011
What I like about this reader is that I am able to split my documents and ebooks into seperate folders. The video picture quality is amazing. MP3 is a bit disappointing as the speaker is at the back and when you have a cover on the sound tends to be distorted and vibrating.

The light quality is extremely good as you are able to read in the dark and are able to set the lighting to what you require.

I am very happy with the price I paid ($59) as versus to what the book reader can actually do, as I think I really had more value for money on this item

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING VALUE, 2 Oct. 2012
Initial impressions are that this device is solid and well made and that the screen is surprisingly good. Put decent headphones on and the sound is nothing to complain about.

OK, the handbook is in Chinese English and quite amusing at times. However anyone who has used a computer or modern mobile phone should be able to work out what is what. The thing to do is to get a gist of what is available from the handbook and then experiment. After experimenting, go back to the handbook and you will probably make more sense of it.

After a day, I thought I had a problem when trying to install material onto the Ebook but as it had been working I tried a different USB lead and this worked OK so the USB lead had a fault on it. Once the Ebook is connected to the computer it acts as two extra drives (one is the extra memory socket) and is used the same as any other Windows directory.

Currently I have filled the 4 GB - but it took 15 hours of video, 6 hours of Audio books and 140+ Ebooks plus numerous photos. There is a slot for another 4 GB card - which cost around £3 which shows as the extra drive. This would be useful for people who want to store a lot of large videos.

Ebooks in EPUB format work fine and have 3 levels of magnification up to about large print book size. PDF is more problematical as it only has levels - one is a bit small to read and the other a good size but some pages go off the side of the screen.

Videos view well and can be resized up to a point.

Music is a good sound - get rid of the basic plastic headphones and either use good over-head earphones or get better in-ear ones. I purchased some metal ones for a little over £2 from an Ebay dealer and these have superb sound and much more volume - I found that level 12 (out of 35) was very loud. They also keep the sound in your ears so that other people are not annoyed by the escaping buzz that plastic ones are prone to.

I have seen this Ebook unfairly compared with kobo or Kindle. Not having either I cannot comment except to say that I cannot see that they could be enough better to warrant 3x price for Kobo and 4x + for the cheapest colour Kindle. Also remember that the Kindle especially was made for a purpose - to get you to keep parting with more money - and has restrictions in what plays on it.

Dennis's quick start guide to adding material to the EBook.
Although there is a power supply included, the Ebook will charge off the USB lead. A small blue light on the top right hand corner will flash to show charging.
Take the USB lead out of the box and plug it into your computer and into the Ebook (The Ebook has to be turned off). The lead is quite short so you may need an extension (it is best not to leave the Ebook on the floor due to short lead). The lead is a standard USB to mini socket as used on cameras etc. so a USB plug to USB socket extension will be of use.

Now be patient. After a time the computer will put up a little message that a new device has been found. After an even longer time another message will come up that the device has been recognized. What seems about 5 minutes later a third message to say the device is ready to use. (I could see why some people complained they could not get books onto the Ebook). The Ebook will now display a graphic of a USB plug and 'My Computer' folder will show two extra drives - possibly E and F - and you are ready to go. Simply copy files (drag and drop) as you would any folder. Once you have finished - click on the 'safely remove hardware' icon at bottom right of the computer screen and then click 'safely remove mass storage device E and F'. (may be different depending on how many other devices and drives you have connected). Now your Ebook will show its menu and you are ready to explore. The USB lead can be left connected to charge the EBook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of kit!!!, 10 Mar. 2012
david tate (belfast) - See all my reviews
Bought this off amazon about a month ago and decided to wait and see first before writing a review on it. This is a fantastic ebook reader with lots of extras like music and video playback. Bought a case for it and its actually got me back into reading again!

I noticed a few very poor reviews about the mebook and I would advise people, who are totally ignorant about computers, not to write poor reviews on something when its their incompetence thats a 1 star in the first place eg "how do you download ebooks?" I mean what has their lack of knowledge have to do with this ebook reader?

This reader will read kindle books which are in MOBI format. There is a free program called "calibre" for the PC which converts MOBI format ebooks to EPUB (mebook format) in seconds and again its free.

One of the best electronic gadgets I have ever bought!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh lord what have I purchased ! but wait., 24 Aug. 2011
Mebook - 7 Inch High Resolution eBook Reader + Super Media Player

When the MEBOOK arrived it felt and looked as good as my daughters kindle 3g but when I looked at the instructions booklet I thought OMG what have I purchased I could almost smell Delboy Trotters cologne all over it! so I used the booklet as a last resort and let commonsense take over and found the unit fairly simple to use if a little long winded (one gets so used to touch screen appliances) the only thing I found niggling was the FM radio app it's a bit vague as the region setting for the UK is classed as Europe I am no expert on radio frequency coverage but I expected to see England on the task bar, everything else works a treat ebooks, video, music player and photos.
No smart ink technology on the veiwing screen but on the up side there is no need to buy a reading light like the kindle for reading in limited light conditions, swings and roundabouts really. A leather case/cover too BRILL!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mebook eBook Reader, 13 April 2012
N. Hodson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been considering writing this review for at least two weeks, but every day I discover more about this device. It has many limitations, some of which might be put right in the next firmware issue of its software, but there are ways round some of them.

First let me list the functions you find on booting the device up.

1. Browser History. Useful. Enables you to go back to an article or book you were reading before the one you last read.

2. Ebook. This is then one I like best. I have put nearly 700 classical out-of-copyright books onto Project Gutenberg, and I like to be able to read them at leisure. I have them on a micro-SD card.

3. Music. As I am only interested in ebooks, this is where I put the audiobooks I have made of any of the free Project Gutenberg books. This works very well. I give each author their own folder, and then each book a subfolder, into which I put mp3 files, one for each chapter.

4. Video. I have tested this with only one video, and it works well.

5. Photo. A folder for each event, and then all the jpegs are put into it. Works well.

6. Record. Have only tested it with one recording, but it worked well.

7. Explorer. A handy way of getting at the file you want to look at or listen to.

8. Radio. Rather disappointing, but I must be doing something wrong.

9. Settings. Mainly to do with brightness of display, how long before it switches out (or not at all), system information (manufacturer, firmware version number, local memory size, card memory size), clock and date setting (good accurate clock, by the way).

10. Calendar. Just a calendar, you can't annotate it, but you can use the 'M' button to change whether the date changes by a day, by a month, or by a year, when you hit one of the direction buttons, so you can easily find the day of the week for a future or a past event. Other than that, not much use.

11. Search. Using the numbered buttons and the space button you can enter a string you are searching for. But so far I have only been able to get it to search in the built-in flash memory: I would like it to search in the micro-SD memory.

The labelled keys come in a bank of fifteen. The last column has top key, pause or continue play; middle key, cycles through font-size, with four settings; bottom key, go back to the previous screen, or exit from the current book you are reading. The column to the left of the last one has '0' at the top, and this, following the 'M' button, switches on the text-to-speech settings, but only when you are reading a book in plain text format. The key at the bottom of that column toggles the display between landscape and portrait mode.

The other keys are marked with arrows, and enable you to navigate within a book.

The display of books is fairly good, but has some strange effects sometimes. If at all possible you should try to post your book files with plain quotes, not smart ones. The latter are sometimes wrongly displayed, especially in the PDB mode, where apostrophes appear as Chinese pictograms instead of the usual symbol. Personally I prefer to read my books as FB2 files, because they are extremely easy to make, and they display any illustrations well. FB2 is also probably the best way to read a book on this device, but they are normally read as compressed files on most other devices. Not on this one though. It is a bit dodgy with its epubs. The normal way to make an epub is to use Sigil to process an html file of the book. The epubs thus made display very well on Ipods, but not at all on this device. There are some ways of processing fb2 files to make epubs, but they tend to lose the cover image and the Table of Contents.

I have not been able to get the device to display a Table of Contents, for the purpose of navigating about from chapter to chapter in a book, as you can with an Ipod, for instance, but surely this will be corrected on the next issue of firmware.

The device will also display books as HTML, MOBI, PDB, PDF, RTF and TXT files. If you have a PRC file, just change its extension to MOBI, and it will display.

One of the best ways to display a book is to make a PDF from its page-scans. Obviously this only applies to out-of-copyright books. What you will see displayed is the book with its pages looking exactly the same as those in the original book, except that they may be a bit better than the original, if the book was in a faded or poor condition. The other sort of PDF of a book is made out of the actual text, and this displays well, if it has been carefully made. This is not the place to go into details of how to make these various kinds of book-files.

You can display the plain text files you can get from Project Gutenberg. There are nearly 40,000 free books available there. These text files come with each line less than 72 characters in length, and you will get a better display if you know how to merge these lines so that the book consists of paragraphs instead of collections of short lines. One advantage you have with a TXT file is that you can get it read aloud to you: just hit the pause/continue button. To change the voice characteristics (speed, tone, effects, etc), hit M, and then '0' (which does not have any label), and there you are. There are some Chinese voices, and one labelled "Catherine", which is the one to use. The Chinese ones appear to be able to read English words, but in a tinny high-pitched voice. Stick with Catherine.

There is a serious fault with the text-to-speech feature, and that is that it does not give an extra pause for the end of a paragraph. Many other devices and programs have this fault, even though it renders the text-to-speech quite useless. That is why it is better to make your own audiobooks using TextAloud, or Fonix ISpeak. If you use TextAloud I recommend that you use Acapela Peter as the "voice". I am researching to see if there is a way of inducing a pause between paragraphs, but no luck so far.

For each text file that you read this device maintains a corresponding file with information about the page you are reading, the orientation, the font size, etc, so that when you switch off and then come back later, you will find things exactly as you left them. But do remember that the storage space for files is allocated in big lumps called clusters, normally 65,024 bytes. Thus the gigabytes on the micro-SD card you store your books on can get used up rather faster than you expected.

If at all possible it would be best if you keep the charger attached to the device while using it. Also, darken, or switch off the display, to conserve battery power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mebook, 15 Jan. 2012
Bought for myself after bying a much more expensive ereader for my wife, on comparison the Mebook ereader is, in my mind a much better value for money reader than more expensive ones. It was easy to set up and use, with every gadget I will need and more!! All in all I would strongly reccomend this item to any one thinking of buying an ereader, first class.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a few weeks then failed to tuen on, 18 Aug. 2012
Worked fine for a few weeks now refuses to turn on - do not buy this product save your money and buy a better product