Published on 12 April 2011 by K. S. Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Depressing
Warning: This review contain's spoilers.

Published on 2 Aug. 2012 by Adrianna Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Depressing, 2 Aug. 2012
Adrianna Jones (Leicester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
Warning: This review contain's spoilers.

When I think of reading a Sophie Kinsella book, I normally imagine something light-hearted, funny and definitely entertaining. Now I completely understand the concept of branching out and writing different types of books under a pseudonym so I wasn't expecting something like her other books. In that respect, this book definitely met those expectations. Unfortunately however, I was also expecting something good (for lack of a better term) which this definitely was not.

I think it's safe to say that there was not one single likeable character in the entire book, which as you can imagine is quite a feat. They weren't likeable and they most definitely were not happy, which in turn made me feel pretty depressed. The main character, I found completely and utterly moronic. Why on earth would you, knowing your married, accept another man's proposal and then do NOTHING TO OBTAIN A DIVORCE??! The 'ignore a problem and hope it goes away' attitude is quite common with Sophie Kinsella heroines but it is normally carried out in a funny and charming way. Not this time though; I felt like physically shaking some sense into her.

I could rant for significantly longer and dissect each character's many issues (fiancé: whiny brat, sister: pregnant with child of man old enough to be her father, mother: obsessive, father: late-life crisis with work/marriage, actual husband: dead, actual husband's lover: wracked with guilt/grief, actual husband's lover's wife: borderline psychotic). Like I said, not a happy one in the bunch and I could carry on going but frankly I've wasted enough time on this book as it is. Sophie Kinsella: Please stick to your normal books and retire as Madeleine Wickham (who I can safely say I will never read anything else by)!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read but poor publisher lets the author down time and time again, 12 April 2011
K. S. Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, the characterisation and the plot were very good. What really annoys me with anything I have read by Madeleine Wickham is that the books are obviously not proof-read properly. Time and time again there are typos which aren't spelling errors so they aren't being picked up by the spell-checker and someone is obviously not taking the time to proof-read the stories properly. It makes me cross because I think if I am going to pay for a book then it should be proof-read properly, everyone expects the occasional error but Black Swan really don't seem to have got their act together! If Madeleine is reading this then she should ask for a discount on publishing costs!

5.0 out of 5 stars One to read if you're suffering pre-wedding stresses!, 23 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
My fiance bought me this the week leading up to our wedding and I couldn't put it down - I read the whole book in 2.5 hours - then picked it up and read it all over again! In fact I read it 3 times in the 4 days leading up to our wedding! AND I was rushing around!! It's funny, gripping and has an unexpected twist that stopped it being predictable! Can't wait to read the others Ms Wickham has written!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, lots of little twists and a really decent read, 22 May 2000
Balooby (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
Was one of those books that you didn't want to put down from the start. A really easy read and perfect for that true 'escapism' feel. Am definately going to search for more books by Ms Wickham - excellent, thanks very much!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wedding Girl!, 2 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
Sophie Kinsella is my favourite author. I wasn't impressed with The Tennis Party which was the first book I read under her real name. However I thought I would give it another go and this book was really really good. Very Sophie Kinsella! It was funny but heart felt, with a twist or two along the way, great read! If you love Shopoholic you will love this!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ho hum, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Kindle Edition)
I tried to like this book, after another reviewer claimed that Kinsella writing as Wickham was better than her other books, but it's just the usual chick-lit fare, served up in the usual way. Also, why write under another name if the genre and the style is almost (okay, lacking in humour and substance but you get my drift) the same? Just my POV, though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dull as dishwater., 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
I have to be honest I have never read Anything by Sophie Kinsella or Madeline Wickham.
I started reading this over 4 weeks ago and I am still only half way through, its dull, the plot is thin.
I would not seek out any of her books to read in the future.
Go and read a Katie FForde or a Milly Johnson you get your money's worth there.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy, fun read with a twist in every chapter., 14 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
This is a throughly enjoyable read. The characters are both likeable and believable, perhaps more because of their frailties than their strengths, although it is the latter that are discovered as the plot develops. There are no huge surprises, but the story holds several nice twists on the way to a very satisfactory ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 31 May 2009
Rebecca Roberts (North and Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
As an avid fan of Sophie Kinsella, I hoped that the books written as Madeleine Wickham would prove to be,if not as good, then at least a good read.
I read 'A Desirable Residence' and was not disappointed...so went on to buy the rest of the books by this author.I liked the Wedding Girl as it had great, believable characters, something that this author is good at creating.
Madeleine had proved, time and time again that she understands how people 'tick' and can write a great story about the simplest of events.
All her books are well written, she has an enviable talent, and if they do not prove to be 'classics' they certainly do what they set out to do.,they entertain the reader...every time!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many errors., 22 July 2011
This review is from: The Wedding Girl (Paperback)
This book is full of bad punctuation and doesn't seem to have been proof read. This is a real let down as I really like Sophie Kinsella's later work. As for the story, it's unbelievable (the character tries to get married when she's already married and hopes she'll get away with it!), lacks the spark of Kinsella's other books and feels rushed and unfinished. There are parts of the story that are well written and the author has tried to put twists in the book but it just didn't work for me. I prefer the books that are written under 'Sophie Kinsella' as they are full of spark and humour.

The Wedding Girl