5.0 out of 5 stars The Intrepid Dr Ben Strikes Again!
I have nearly gone pop waiting for this to be published! After reading Holiday SOS last summer I couldn't wait to hear about Ben becoming a ships Dr and sailing the 7 seas.

Published on 17 Jun. 2010 by E. Tring

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
I read one of this authors books before so was looking forward to reading about his adventures onboard.however I found this book a bit boring to be honest.I was disappointed to read that the things in the book were part of seperate trips and not one trip as suggested in the book.I read it quickly and wouldnt recommend it either.Boring, sorry !!
Published on 5 Sept. 2010 by nurses1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Intrepid Dr Ben Strikes Again!, 17 Jun. 2010
E. Tring (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews

This was as entertaining as the last one and had some terrific characters with interesting stories (all with names changed for obvious reasons - Ben is a Dr after all) but what I found equally as fascinating is how a cruise ship actually works and what is going below decks.

I don't want to give too many specific examples as I am mindful of giving too much away and spoiling it for some people, but I loved the senior Dr on the ship - Edward Marlborough, what a lovely guy the sounded like :) Also the wonderful Mrs Philip and Mr Baxter who was determined to make it to Singapore - you will have to read the book to find out why of course.

This would be a terrific holiday/beach/airport read (I was supposed to be taking mine on holiday on the 1st July but they published it early and I just couldn't contain myself! I read it in less than 24 hours!)

Oh and Dr Ben, if you happen to read this, maybe it would be worth considering staying out of Egypt?

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely cararaderie at sea!, 12 July 2010
Chris Miller (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just loved this book! really loved the easy, friendly camaraderie between the two doctors and the three nurses. I've worked with a man very like the older doctor, someone who is ready to retire, but who has enjoyed his career so much he is not sure if he really wants to. And it's very clear why this job would be such a hard one to give up. I also loved how the old timers joked with Ben about how quickly he would get hooked on cruise ship life - and how right they were! It was also really nice to read about how different passengers and crew all helped each other and pulled together when required. lots of very heartwarming stories all the way through - but I laughed quite a lot as well. I don't want to give any of the funny stories away - but the italian waiter in particular is hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 20 Aug. 2010
I loved this book.

It chronicles the real life adventures and incidents seen by a cruise ship doctor on a round the world cruise.
The writing syle is very easy and pleaant to read, and incidents are told in such a way as to give enough information without becoming grisly or gruesome. Some parts will make you smile while others may bring a tear to your eye. The narrative flows well and never becomes tedious.

Ben Macfarlanes first book, holiday sos was also hugely enjoyable and I think this one was even better. You get a real feel for the cruise ship life, from the passengers in huge suites through to life in the crew areas below the passenger decks. We meet characters who are hilarious and ridiculous, to others who you wish you could track down in real life and give them a hug - and one or two less pleasant ones also.

This was such an easy to read book as the authors "voice" is so friendly. I read this book cover to cover in one sitting and was dissapointed when I came to the end. I sincerely hope that Ben Macfarlane will continue to write about his medical adventures.

A very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great holiday read, 3 Oct. 2010
I bought this book after reading an interview with Ben MacFarlane in Sabado magazine and loved it. After coming back from a cruise earlier this year I was intrigued by how the crew lived and what went on on the other decks that passengers didn't get to see. This book was a real eye-opener and I loved reading about the different workers, their cabins, their lives and their jobs. There is so much on a big cruise ship that we don't see. Thankfully we didn't end up in a medical centre ourselves - but it's good to know what we might have expected if we had! Loved some of the funny stories of the waiters and so on - loved the fact that the book was a real mix of happy and sad. great read if you travel a lot or are going on a cruise anytime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cruise Ship SOS, 29 Sept. 2010
From the first paragraph to the last this book had me hooked. It is such a roller coaster ride of edge of the seat incidents. Superbly written, I got a really good sense of Dr Ben Macfarlane and his colleagues who just came to life on the page. I have an interest in all things medical and enjoyed trying to second guess some of the conditions and problems the cruise ship passengers and crew presented poor Dr Macfarlane with. But even if you are not a medical person this book is simply an exciting mix of people, travel, faraway places, work, relationships and play. What more can you ask for?
Read it and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Medical matters on a cruise ship, 17 Jan. 2011
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cruise Ship SOS: The Life-Saving Adventures of a Doctor at Sea (Kindle Edition)
Have you ever wondered what happens to passengers on a cruise if they are taken ill for any reason? This book tells the story from the point of view of the medical staff on a cruise liner. Doctor Ben Macfarlane, who has also worked as a doctor accompanying patients home when they are taken ill abroad, describes some of the problems he had to deal with on a round the world cruise. You may enjoy his previous book Holiday SOS

There are incidents both funny and sad as well as heart warming and not everyone survives to the end of the cruise. I was surprised at the variety of ailments which were presented to the medical staff. From DTs to Cirrhosis of the liver and severe sunburn which could have resulted in the patient's death as well as people simply forgetting the medication they normally take. Then there were crew members exaggerating their ailments to get a few days off work and patients simulating claustrophobia in order to get an upgrade to a cabin with a window.

I think one of the incidents which stuck in my mind was the man who had gone on the cruise in order to visit Singapore for the first time since the war and pay his respects to his comrades who didn't make it home. He was terminally ill and the medical staff did their best to keep him alive long enough to do what he wanted. I was also touched by the many friendships which were made on board and how willing many people were to help their fellow passengers.

This is an interesting to read though it may prove to be an expensive purchase for me as I would now like to go on a cruise!

5.0 out of 5 stars a fascinating glimpse behind the scenes, 8 Sept. 2010
This is a great book for anyone interested in what it's like on board a cruise ship. Dr. Ben Macfarlane had me hooked from the first page and I found it fascinating to discover what it's like to be part of the medical team on a round the world trip. A cruise ship is just like "Upstairs, Downstairs" - some of the crew aren't even allowed to see the passengers and live and work entirely below the waterline. One nurse even described that section of the ship as being like an open prison! As you read through this book, you feel sorry for some of the people Dr. Macfarlane meets and treats, whilst others leave you reeling with their utter selfishness and irresponsibility. It isn't a story of what really happened on one voyage but a compilation of Dr. Macfarlane's experiences brought together into one book -but it's none the worse for that. I highly recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 5 Sept. 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 July 2014
Very entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars Behind the scenes, 9 Nov. 2013
This is an interesting book, especially for anyone who has been on a cruise or is thinking about it. I would have liked it to be longer but it's a decent follow up to this author's first offering.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›