TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 December 2015
In this third Naughtiest Girl book Elizabeth Allen is starting the school year as a monitor - elected by her classmates and expected to be responsible and mature. Well, yes, good luck with that. This time around we learn about responsibility, false and careless accusations, and how to make, lose, and remake friends and enemies. It's a pure dose of naughty girl, with a side of good intentions.

I've come around on the appeal of these "Naughtiest Girl" books, and here's why. My first reaction was sort of negative. Naughty Elizabeth is a bit over the top, the situations she gets into seem too antic and manufactured, and the resolutions are rather pat. There are lots of kids characters and they are quicksilver in their "like you - hate you - we're best friends - we're enemies" snap judgments. There's a lot of "I like the cut of your jib" and "she's O.K. 'cause she's made of the right stuff" judging going on. It all seems rather brisk and snappish and rather shallow.

But, when weighing all of this I began to see the appeal of the Naughtiest Girl and of other more old fashioned girl heroine books. (Pollyhanna, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Heidi, and any girl from any size House on thePrairie would eat these modern girls up and spit them out.) In the Naughtiest Girl books Elizabeth makes mistakes and howlingly bad decisions. She then recognizes her errors or has them pointed out to her by supportive friends or patient, understanding adults. She tries to do better - as a friend, as a classmate, and as a person. She does actually have the "right stuff" and she soldiers on determined to be a worthy friend and person. It may be a little pat and there is a lot of judging going on, but there is gentle instruction and guidance on offer here along with the school daze silliness.

So, I don't think I'd read all ten Naughtiest Girl books in a row, but I'm not a nine or ten year old girl dying to find out what kind of scrape Elizabeth will get into next. Many of these books came out in weekly serial form, and that explains the ebb and flow of the chapters, and the ups and downs of the plots once they were turned into books. There is energy here, and good humor, and common sense, and a lot more girrrlll power than their 1940's origins would suggest. I'm a convert.
on 14 November 2010
Elizabeth Allen is a lovly girl with a very hot temper. In her last term she became a moniter and is very exited. But Elizabeth's term dosn't go as planned with new Arrabella in he form and Martin stiring up trouble anything could go wrong. This is a fantastic book with an exelent plot. People would most enjoy this book at 6-10.
on 15 September 2013
Elizabeth is made a monitor but will she stay as a monitor for a whole term. Although last term Elizabeth learnt that making friends is much better than making enemies she ends up with a bunch load of enemies. Elizabeth turns out to be a life saver and for one thinks of others as well as herself. There is a thief in the first form who is it. All ends well in another fabulous Enid Boynton book. They are similar to malory towers in a way All the same names keep popping up and some of the characters life's are the same pleasantly enjoyable. Hope you like this comment and it was helpful
From a book lover
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2011
This is what my 10 yr old grandson asked for for Xmas, he commented "wicked" ! so I guess he really liked it ! so glad that he is READING ! especially Enid Blyton.as I did 69 yrs ago !
on 24 April 2015
The book is great, obviously, as it's an Enid Blyton. However, someone decided to update the book by making some changes - shillings have been substituted by pence, and the two shillings a week the children got as allowance have been upgraded to 2 pounds a week. My 7 year old nephew pointed this out, as we had read the first two books in the series in their original print edition. This is clearly to cater to a new generation brought up on the metric system, and i really don't see why.
When I read the books UK had already switched over to the new monetary system, and I had to find out what a half crown and a guinea was. It really wasn't that big a deal. Why change the text?
Also, pounds are mentioned as being in coin form only. What's next, get rid of politically incorrect (in 21st century terms) dialogue or writing, which was considered quite acceptable 60 years ago? I'm not sure if anything else in the text has been changed, but surely some kind of disclaimer or warning should be given?
on 17 December 2011
These Enid Blyton books are just wonderful. They are so perfect for a girl, or even a boy aged about 6 upwards who is an early reader. They capture the imagination of a child (adult too) and the words, although simple they are exciting and really bring the characters to life. I can recommend any of these books as an ideal present (I bought two sets of 4 for my two grandaughters aged 6 & 7). They are just the right length, although some maybe a bit short - you just want the stories to go on and on.
As the title suggests 'Naughtiest Girl' doesn't everyone know her? I thought it was my sister that Enid was writing about (She is 60 in January).
on 17 May 2012
This book was entertaining, I have to admit and I was reading it as I love Enid Blytons school stories.
But I have to say I was rather disappointed that the plot line was EXACTLY the same as The naughtiest girl again except with different characters etc. Although it was enjoyable it seems like Blyton is scraping the bowl for more money by using the same story line. Wouldn't purchase.
on 18 June 2013
I would recommend this book to my sister because everyone in it has their ups and their downs. I like this book because it is funny and there are people who are good well behaved people people who are not so good and not so well behaved people and last of all people who play jokes and work hard at the same time. And some people change so that all so makes it a very good book.
on 19 October 2013
This book is written by my favourite author and is a very interesting book. It has good twists to it and makes me want to read it all over again. I think that it is very good when she saves the little boy Michael. He nearly drowns and she saves his life . I think that this book is for ages 8+.
on 13 February 2013
The naughtiest girl in school is fantastic because she was a monitor and she was not a monitor because she lied about Julian stealing some biscuit`s when he didn't. So she was not a monitor any more until Elizabeth proved that she should be a monitor again.