5.0 out of 5 stars Classic song to enjoy with your kids
My Mum bought this for me when I was little and I loved the song. I forgot all about it until recently when I bought a Pete Seeger CD - 'Birds, Beasts, Bugs and Fishes (Little and Big)' - and it has this slightly dark but funny song on it. So I searched on Amazon and found the book I had when I was little. It's got holes in it so you can peek into the old lady's tummy...
Published on 14 Mar 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Small!!
I remember this book from my childhood and have seen it in shops, so i thought i would buy it for my little boy. When it arrived i was disappointed because it is so small. I was expecting a big A4 size book but it is only marginally bigger than a Cd case...........i guess you would call it pocket sized!
The story is as fabulous as ever, but because it is small the...
Published on 26 Jan 2005 by Cathy Sweeting

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Never be bored, 21 Mar 2006
By A Customer
Both mums and kids can have a fab time when reading this book, i found tickeling the kids when telling them about the spider adds fun to it.
Both my 1 and 3 yr old love this book and want it read to them over and over again

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic with good reason, 11 April 2005
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The majority of people know probably know this rhyme but having this book as a prompt is fun. The pictures are lovely and bold, and it is great to see the illustrations as I remember them from my own childhood - the way each animal is fitted into the previous one is a masterstroke. Plus with this edition there's the added bonus of being in a good sturdy format. This book has stood the test of time with good reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars There was an old lady who swallowed a fly, 16 July 2006
Mrs. F. Hall (Kent. Uk) - See all my reviews
Brought back happy memories of my father singing me this as a child and I now take great delight in singing along with my little boy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 Sep 2004
By A Customer
I always loved this song and could never remember which order the animals came in - my children love this book and I love singing it to them, it's very cleverly done.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book as a child!, 12 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I remeber every word of this book from when I was a child. I decided to buy it for my son. Any book in my view, that can span two and a half decades and still be remembered is definetly worth buying! The holes cut into the pages are excellent for keeping your childs interest in the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prophetic, 2 Dec 2011
It's 36 years old, but nobody could predict the sheer prophetic genius it would turn out to be. A huge indictment of our growing obesity crises and our seeming desire to rid the planet of all it's natural food resources. The old lady is a glutton, depressed, lonely and a victim of a society obsessed with instant gratification and rampant individualisation, she seeks solace and comfort in consumption. But where will it end?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Valued Classic, 31 Aug 2007
It's lovely to see the book and story just as I remember it from 30 years ago. The repetition is what makes it, especially for children. My 2 year old can't get enough!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Sep 2007
Found this to be a disappointing version & the one with the cd is a HUGE let down as it's sung sooooo quickly it's impossible to keep up with! Really wanted to use it with my class of 5 year olds.
No worries about the "death" issues - hey, if you eat a whole horse what do you expect?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awful my 'orse!, 24 May 2006
J. Huckerby "LIB" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Try swallowing a horse and see how well you do. Maybe we should censor the death from Shakespeare?

Thankfully this stays true to the original in a pc world which tries to hide the truth. Of course this is a childrens book. And I doubt there was ever a message here other than remembering various creatures and their relative size. But it gives the opportunity to raise the subject of death in a child friendly manner should you so wish.

2.0 out of 5 stars poor format for this book, buy another format, 8 Mar 2013
I remember the large old version of this book which i think may still be available. This format does it no justice. Its so small - like a CD case. Yes it has lovely illustrations - very old school but it is let down by the fornat which means you can hardly read it, have to keep scrolling to the back of the book. What a let down, would not reccommend for this reason. A real shame as i had high hopes for it. If they still do the larger book then get that one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›