5.0 out of 5 stars Towards Eternity
This is an extraordinarily haunting work - droning strings, Tibetan temple bowl, the usual lack of development that we come to associate with Sir John. But most of it is very still - only the first 5 minutes have much business in them - the rest of it slowly fades away; programme music, if you like, for Eastern (especially Hindu) death beliefs.

It's not quite a...
Published on 24 Mar 2011 by Paracelsus1966

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, an unusual gift - see other review
Published on 5 Feb 2011 by knocked out 73 just woke up

5.0 out of 5 stars Towards Eternity, 24 Mar 2011
Paracelsus1966 (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews

It's not quite a string quartet in the conventional sense, being scored for 4 quartets (as it were), and therfore feels markedly different - far more tranquil and unearthly (especially towards the end, which sounds like it was recorded by NASA) - from his earlier string quartets (Last Sleep of the Virgin, Hidden Treasure, The World etc), but if you do like those works, you'll love this.

My only gripes are that the CD is banded as one track (the piece is in 4 movements) and there are no accompanying works; the CD is only 33 minutes long. Mind you, it's good for the price, and also maybe with something like this, you really don't need any other pieces on the CD. As Tavener notes in the booklet, this is a CD for meditation, so put it on repeat and listen to that amazing temple bowl, the sound of eternity...

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting work, 21 Dec 2010
Stephen Barber "falconer" (Oxfordshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A haunting work, beautifully performed by the four string quartets for whom it was written. It is one of those works which is intended to induce a trance-like state in the listener, and this it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars enduring above and below consciousness...., 29 May 2011
Having now heard this 'in the flesh' in Salisbury Cathedral, last night, with the composer present, with the 4 quartets placed around the large space, Taverner's extraordinary, transcendent achievement is captured in this recording.
The spaciousness which is part of an inner and outer consciousness is utterly consistent, conveyed in the sequence of plucked and played strings, with a throbbing, vivid, undercurrent from the resonances of the Tibetan bowl.
Rather than being trance-inducing, perhaps, this music is able to engage most directly with spirit and soul: the coincidence of different religious faiths being absolutely enlarging. As an aid to meditation, perhaps it could be helpful - but it is in its own right, as something liminal, beautiful, and intelligible beyond all boundaries, that it should be listened to with every sense alert - inside a still body.

5.0 out of 5 stars towards silence, 28 Mar 2011
I can not find the words to describe this wonderful music of peace and hope by Sir John Tavener. An excellent recording. What a good idea to give just the one item of 33 mins at half price. What could follow this music other than the silence towards which it went.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tavener: Towards Silence [World Premiere Recording], 21 Feb 2013
I. P. Cheneour "paul cheneour" (Dover UK) - See all my reviews
This work, album, piece, painting in sound,- what can I call it? - is stunningly profound from conception to performance. I had hoped to be at the permier performance, but am pleased to say that this CD has captured the moment magnificently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 19 April 2014
Dr. R. S. Culbard (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
The music, new to me, was most listenable and excellent value. The CD was sealed, as expected, and was delivered on time. Appreciated.

4.0 out of 5 stars First hire the cathedral..., 23 Aug 2011
This is my first encounter with Tavener, often spoken of alongside Arvo Part. Intriguing in concept with each part lengthening and slowing, this must be really impressive in a cathedral setting with the 4 quartets placed around the huge space giving an ethereal quality one would imagine. The surround sound, while fine, does not really approach this for me - it is almost not distant enough. While it does slow and quieten it does not evoke the sense of one's existence and mortality like for example Mahler's ninth where in the Chailly surround sound version you end up listening to the sound of your own body so imperceptibly does it end.
Other enthusiastic reviews here are not wrong in their praise, however.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, an unusual gift - see other review, 5 Feb 2011
Like Mr Harrison I purchased this for a friend, but unfortunately have not had a chance to catch up with him and ask him how he has found it. I was intrigued by the review by Mr Harrison that another friend of mine had heard about from a relative, and thought it was worth a spin. Sadly I have not had a chance to read Mr Harrisons review but I am sure, as my friend had heard, that it is a good review. Very helpful. More reviews like that would really help Mr sly silvery fox.

I bet about 3 of 13 will find this review useful : a personal best for me. Hurrah !

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!, 17 Nov 2012
Having loved song for Athene and after reading other reviews I thought I would buy this. This has got to be the worst piece of music I have ever bought. Wish I could get a refund!! Maybe it's just me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A most unusual gift, 22 Jan 2011
D. Harrison "slyoldsilverfoxyz" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a Christmas present for a young musician friend. Whilst I haven't heard it, he tells me it's excellent.

Towards Silence
Towards Silence by Finzi Quartet, Cavaleri Quartet, Fifth Quadrant Medici Quartet
Buy MP3 Album2.99