5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT YARN SUPERBLY TOLD
I got recommended the author from a friend of mine whose comic/literary views I've usually shared . Having read the book I can thoroughly recommend it to others as both tremendously funny and well written book that deserves critical success.Looking forward to reading one of the authors other published works
Published on 23 Dec 2008 by Anthony Jennison

3.0 out of 5 stars In need of a good editor
Published on 26 Dec 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT YARN SUPERBLY TOLD, 23 Dec 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gas, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Football Crazy (Paperback)
I read this from cover to cover with barely a break for a cup of tea. For anyone who knows or loves football or anyone who wants to know the real goings on around a small town club this book is a must. The author takes real life characters, the kind we all know and love or loathe from our local teams and he heightens their personalities just enough to make them still credible while making them hilarious. From the off the reader can see the world Stanley inhabits and feel for him. The author treats each of his characters with sensitivity even the megalomaniac policeman Screwer. The story trips along at a great pace and the reader finds himself turning pages quickly. In these days of chicken farmers buying premiership teams it is not a stretch to imagine meat pie magnate Price taking over a small town team and doing exactly the same things. In essence this book caricatures perfectly the goings on in a small town and at a small town club - maybe even the goings on at a premiership club. I would highly recommend this to those interested in footie or those who want a good laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barrelful of laughs, 14 Dec 2006
D. Maney (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Football Crazy (Paperback)
I'd already read Terry Ravenscroft's Dear Air 2000 which I found to be hilarious so I was looking forward to reading this. I was not disappointed.

A much better book and far better value than all the England footballers' autobiographies put together. Two of the main characters, Big Donny Donnelly and Superintendant Screwer will surely go down as two of the most laugh-provoking fictional characters in history. A really funny barrelful of laughs book with no padding whatsoever.

3.0 out of 5 stars In need of a good editor, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: Football Crazy: Soccer as you've never known it. (Kindle Edition)
I have read a few books by Terry Ravenscroft, and when I saw this at 99p thought why not. The book does seem to have some good points, problem is though that it is quite 'clunky' to read, not flowing well, I really want to like this and it does seem to have the making of a good comic novel in it, but my main thought reading thorough it was that it seemed as if it was rushed to publication and could have used a good editor/proof reader to tighten up the narrative and content (much like this review actually).

4.0 out of 5 stars Why Sheffield Wednesday?, 19 Mar 2012
Anthony V (Sidmouth Devon) - See all my reviews
Sheffield Wednesday won the FA Cup in 1935, so is this Frogley FC ? who cares?
If you wanted an inspiring read about the rise and fall of a football club, Northampton Town, springs to mind. or the skills and talents of a top player put this book down now.
On the other hand if you are of the generation that grew up with the comics Tiger, Lion, Roy of the Rovers and Shoot.
This is for you. Read a few pages, shut your eyes and imagin this story in the form of pictures. Dogs running away at the word paint,a White horse in a prison cell, fireworks and the same horse. I'm not sure if you would be allowed to draw a picture true to the book though.
In the past you could get war and football stories in this form for a shilling, 5p. This would fit this book a treat.
The only downside for me was some of the language was just for my taste a fraction OTT that it detracted from the story. Surly there are good North country insults that could have replaced the F and W words.
The end or rather the post script to the story is clever and ties every thing together and they all lived happily ever after?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 27 Nov 2011
M. A. Cossins - See all my reviews
A light, comical, shortish read set in a fantasy world of a minor league football team with all the fantacy, aspirations, lunacy, apathy and delusions that invariabley arise. Well told, with good characters and enough humour throughout the book. You could relate this tale to a similar Rugby League or Union club and know, recognise and love the characters. At less than a quid for the Kindle version, you simply can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be on TV !!, 18 Oct 2011
G. Mackey - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
In my opinion this is the funniest book that Terry has written. It is so good that it needs to be turned into a TV show without delay. The owner of the local pie factory buys Frogley Town FC & attempts to regain the team's past glories by converting them into a replica of Frogley's best-ever team. The local Police chief is more concerned with battering supporters for any reason & it all ends in tears!!

There are so many stand-out moments, but the dog's testicles (no further comment needed) had me rolling in laughter for DAYS!

Do youself a favour & read the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - Gentle comedy needing a proofreader, 17 Sep 2011
I like football-based stories, especially the episode of Ripping Yarns that this book so strongly reminded me of. The cover looks well drawn, although it didn't appear on the Kindle. The first page I saw contained strange <HTML> tags at the top, starting some way into the book. I went to the beginning and read the piece about the police crowd control. The story started and after a while, the police page appeared again. The story itself seemed pretty good, if a little weak in characterisation. The jokes were somewhat strained and certain passages, such as the one with the Italian manager, were very laboured. Whilst not exactly littered with mistakes, words such as "overmuch" and "alsations" could do with fixing and question marks were missing almost everywhere they were needed. Some paragraphing went awry and towards the end of the sample, the font became larger, bold and italicised. In short, this book looks as if nobody has ever checked it on the Kindle, which is a shame because behind the slapdash coding, the story might be quite alright.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Local Footie Club Humour, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: Football Crazy (Paperback)
Living in a small town (same town as Terry) I can see a lot of Frogley Town in our local team. Terry obviously draws a lot of the humour from his script writing days as well as being a supporter of our afore mentioned local team. This makes for hilarious reading. This is a must for all small town football supporters as well as any one with the same dry sense of humour as Terry. It was a must read after reading Air Mail also by Terry and was thoroughly enjoyed. What to buy next of Terry's to read, shouldn't be a problem as I expect whatever I get to be as equally rewarding. Well don Raz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Sharpe and Ripping Yarns, 27 Jan 2007
This review is from: Football Crazy (Paperback)
Apart from being very very funny, Football Crazy is unique.

For me it's a marvellous mixture of Tom Sharpe and Ripping Yarns with it's larger-than-life characters that come alive in your head as the story unfolds and the world of football superstars meets the rich tycoon who's going to bring the return of long-awaited success. Except we're talking Frogley Town and a meat-pie millionaire. Oh - and Superintendent Screwer who would see civil unrest in an impatient bus queue.

As is the way with the best caricatures, we've sort of met the main characters before. We know elements of Donny Donnelly, Joe Price and Superintendent Screwer do actually exist in the real world; we can't quite place who and where but we recognise them when we see them.

I really do recommend this book, it's a cracking story and, football fan or not, it will bring a smile to your face. It's crying out to be made into a one-off TV special.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›