5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Sharp, Witty and Very, Very Funny
Published on 4 Oct 2011 by M. G. Chisholm

3.0 out of 5 stars good start poor by the end
Started well and described real characters frequently seen on golf courses throughout the world, however it then went downhill and became just plain silly, by the end it just wasn't funny anymore
Published 6 months ago by Chivers

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Sharp, Witty and Very, Very Funny, 4 Oct 2011
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Captain's Day: A Golf Causerie (Kindle Edition)
Having just read Stairlift to Heaven I was keen on more of Mr. Ravenscroft's output so I bought this little gem. It has a vague hint of Tom Sharpe about it, but much more accessible and I have to say probably much funnier. The whole book is based upon one day - the Captains Day at the golf course and has a cast of characters that many will know even non golfers which I am. There is a multi-layered build up to a truly hilarious farcical end which is proper British humour as is used to be before the trendy PC brigade got hold of it and knackered it. If you remember the golden days of Dave Allen, Les Dawson, the Two Ronnies (people who could actually make you laugh) etc. then this is the book for you. It's a bit ruder than the aforesaid gentlemen s output but used with such aplomb it can't help but work wonderfully.

Honestly I can't believe what a find Terry Ravenscroft is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who said golf was boring?, 23 Jan 2011
This review is from: Captain's Day: A Golf Causerie (Kindle Edition)
This is a very funny book. It will be enjoyed by golfers and non golfers alike. In fact if Captains day was like this in real life, lots more would take up the game. Refreshingly non pc with events that only the author could ever think of. Great fun and I doubt you have ever read anything like it before.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!, 18 Feb 2011
This review is from: Captain's Day (Paperback)
Having read several books by Terry Ravenscroft, I was expecting it to be funny. In fact it was hilarious! Much of it was read whilst waiting in queues and for hospital appointments and I struggled not to laugh out loud in front of people!!

I can highly recommend this book, go and buy it, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, easy read, 28 April 2012
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Captain's Day: A Golf Causerie (Kindle Edition)
I am really not a golfer or fan of golfing at all, I don't know the difference between a putter or an iron - in fact my mother summed it up when Chris de Burgh was being "done" on This Is Your Life, and he was asked to sing a song he had composed about golf. My mother immediately switched sides saying "I don't know what is more boring, golf or listening to Chris de Burgh singing about golf". Anyway, I decided to read this because I do enjoy Terry Ravenscroft's books - I love the characters he creates, as well as his sense of humour - and I wasn't disappointed with this. At times it was almost like a "Carry on to the 18th Hole" type of read, very funny and definitely not PC or for the easily shocked. Once again, some excellent characters and brilliant comic writing. The story starts quite gently at first but builds up to a totally farcical climax, in more ways than one. In fact I was half expecting Benny Hill and his bevy of bikini clad women to run round the course at the end! Highly amusing and nice and easy to ready.

My only whinge is that there were an awful lot of characters to keep track of, more and more being introduced all the time as a different set of three golfers took to the first tee, but on the whole it was a very good read and I look forward to reading more of Terry's books which I have already downloaded to the Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like a typical golf club, 3 Jan 2011
James - See all my reviews
Well kind of :-)

Throughout the books i was constantly reminded of the characters as if it was my very own golf club, and i would guess anyone who is or knows of golf club members!!

This is the first book i have read within a week for a long time, usual speed is 4 weeks plus!!!! it is well worth putting on anyones to read list whether you play golf or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Read - Perfect gift for a golfer!, 10 Dec 2010
M. Fairbrother (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain's Day (Paperback)
I loved reading this book from start to finish. As a casual golfer myself it was refreshing and somewhat bizarre some of the situations expressed but I could somehow relate. Brilliantly witty and fantastically funny.
A must have for a golfer.
Tom Fairbrother

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest thing ever, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Captain's Day (Paperback)
Funniest thing I have read for a long time. Absolutely hilarious a thoroughly good read. Has there ever been a funnier, more insensitive DJ than Daddy Rhythm?? Or indeed a coarser rock group than Lord Nose and the Bogies?????????????? Not just for golfers

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine weather for the Apocalypse, 17 Mar 2010
D. Zobel - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain's Day (Paperback)
If golf is, as Mark Twain said, "a good walk spoiled," then Captain's Day is "the Apocalypse on well-manicured turf." Only the sharply twisted wit of award-winning BBC comedy writer Terry Ravenscroft could come up with so many outrageous, hilarious, mind's-eye-bending, and just plain bizarre happenings, all in the course of one day, on the course of one golf club. Cops, copses, and copulation; grounds-sweeping helicopters and wayward fire engines; golfers playing the lie from deep within a ten-foot-high manure pile; and a rather compromising tableau featuring the Lady Captain and some chums . . . these are just a few of the indelible images Mr. Captain will be forever struggling to del.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny! A laugh a page!, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Captain's Day (Paperback)
This is the funniest book I have read about golfing. As a golfer I feel i know each of the characters in this hilarious book! Anyone who has ever picked up a club will recognise the situations in this page turner. With Mr Ravenscrofts pedigree as "Morecombe and Wise" scriptwriter amongst others it is hardly surprising that this is such a compelling read. Tom Sharpe like at his very best! A must read!

3.0 out of 5 stars good start poor by the end, 15 May 2014