First of all, I have to say that I was disappointed at the "Christian" twist within this book. I consider myself a spiritual person, but do not read fiction in order to have that stuff foisted on me unannounced. This Christian theme, whilst not overpowering (at first) does build up as the book progresses (I almost said "plot" but there is precious little of that)...
As for the plot, where was it? Nothing really happens in this book until the last 20 or so pages.... Yes, the main characters daughter runs away from home, and a local bigwig is trying to force people to sell land because of his water rights... If you're expecting an undulating and twisting plot, just forget it...
The book is quite well written, although does "lope" along at times (requiring quite a forgiving reader). For example; the bad guy in the book is forever saying something corny along the lines of "if it wasn't for you & your fathers meddling ways"... The main character's dead father's memoires are very well written, and also come across as fairly moving and poignant. One of these memoires (at the books' opening) was pretty much what prevented me finishing at around page 20.
The characters closest to the main character (Muri) were generally well painted and likeable... Although try as I might, I couldn't really build a minds eye picture of any of the characters (excepting... perhaps... Muri's aunt & uncle). A thin plot can often be saved by colourful writing... This, I believe, is not the case as concerns this book
Not a bad effort, although I really have to say that I have had to exert all of my self control not to criticise it more (could I do better? Probably not.).
Unsatisfying, and despite being a free download represents (on reflection) a waste of my personal reading time... Others might have a different opinion....
on 24 May 2012
Honestly, it did take me a while to get into this book but was worth sticking at it, the story was interwoven with Christianity and Indian-American references which made for interesting and enjoyable reading.
on 8 March 2012
Thoroughly enjoyable read, once I started it I could not put it down. Very different, loved the characters. Definitely a writer to watch out for.
on 3 May 2015