5.0 out of 5 stars The female PC David Copperfield
Published on 14 Sep 2007 by British bobby

2.0 out of 5 stars A Trace Too Much
Published on 29 Dec 2008 by M. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars The female PC David Copperfield, 14 Sep 2007
So funny; I sat and giggled the entire time I was reading it (i.e. in the bath, drying my hair, trying to cook - which is not easy with a book in your hand..... My partner, who is not in the police, looked at me like I had gone quite mad. She's got the ridiculousness of the job spot on. And don't think she's kidding about the bureaucratic hoops we have to jump through - she's not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern day policing, 8 April 2011
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line (Kindle Edition)
If you're wondering why the police don't have time to deal with your stolen car or stolen wallet then read this book. By demanding targets and accountability and a paper trail we tie the police up in knots so that they spend too much time covering their backs and filling in forms rather than catching criminals.

Which is better - having the odd thing go wrong without being able to attribute it to an individual and having a higher detection rate and quick response times; or being able to work out what happened when and who was responsible and fewer crimes detected and having to wait a week for the police to respond to your call? I know which I prefer and I would say stop having so many people checking what's going on and more people doing the job they're trained to do.

When you've read the book you will start wondering how we got from the only record being the beat bobby's pocket book to forms in triplicate and about twenty people checking on what one person is doing. There are laugh out loud funny episodes in this book but there are also episodes which will make you tear your hair out in frustration. There are shades of almost any big organisation in this book and I know I found myself nodding my head in recognition over some of the procedures.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what being a police officer in twenty first century Britain is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll on the sequel!, 7 Oct 2007
"I am a woman", Bloggs reminds us self-deprecatingly and with a knowing wink - but this is a book for everyone. Wise, witty, and stingingly accurate.

Employing a recurring cast of police teammates and community misfits, WPC Bloggs anatomizes various elements of the police job. The episodic chapter structure moves between interrelated episodes and settings. For example, the "Missing" features people missing at three progressively more serious levels. "Crap Car" is particularly amusing, dealing with ongoing police enquiries from habitual callers. There's a revelatory chapter on how rape is handled at local police level: "Sex, Lies, and CCTV".

Both subjects and tone darken towards the end of the book, but comedy pervade the pacy narrative. Bloggs's unremitting sarcasm and satire are well served by the naturalistic dialogue. At times I laughed out loud, other times shouted "Oh, no!" in frustration.

Best of all, it provides insight into our postmodern society. Footling paperwork, teethgrinding phone/fax/email contacts and the soulkilling "targets" culture are things which proceed beyond the police on which Bloggs trains her perceptive lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 25 Dec 2010
Anyone interested in the Police will find this a very funny, useful, informative book - certainly hasn't put me off applying for a special role though..

2.0 out of 5 stars A Trace Too Much, 29 Dec 2008
M. Jones (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
Having read the foreward and noted all 11 reviews to date had awarded a 5 star rating, my expectations were high. The first few chapters started well and I found myself chuckling like the other reviewers. However, the more I got into the book, the more repetitive it became. For sure the levels of bureaucracy, procedural madness and political correctness beggar belief, but just how many anecdotes and examples do you need to make the same point. Additionally the irony and sarcasm is laid on so thick it starts to become monotous and tiresome in the extreme. By halfway I didn't really care if Bloggsy would get it on with Will, if the Perils would ever see their day in court or if the weedkiller would ever arrive at Blandmore nick. I stuck with the book 'til the end, hoping it would improve again, but wish I hadn't. To be fair the book delivers what it promises, which may explain the high ratings, but for me all the chapters morphed into one and were completely interchangeable. If the book was half the length, then I'd probably double my rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly embarrassed me on the train..., 22 Nov 2007
L. Baldachin "lalamuh" (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
as I sniggered loudly to myself, causing people to look at me warily from the corners of their eyes.

Whether you're into police-type stories or not, this is a very amusing book and rather a good insight into the way the police force "works". Or so I've been told. I'm not an officer, but I certainly found this enlightening.

I have a healthy respect for people who stay in the Force and battle on, despite all the madness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly funny, 25 Sep 2007
This insightful book has a wry, quintessentially British wit, put to terrific use exploring a subject - modern policing, with all its inanities - that is both topical and fascinating. It works on an episodic style where each chapter contains one or two hilarious and/or troubling anecdotes, tied neatly together with a colourful set of recurring characters and a loose plot.

Like all the best comedy 'On-Call' can reduce you to absurd giggles but never quite forgets the seriousness of the issue at hand. What have we come to when we are training police officers to fight crime then obliging them to spend all their time filling in forms and chasing arbitrary targets? But the sarcastic writing style ensures it never gets too preachy or depressing, and even offers occasional glimpses of sanity and hope. If anyone at the Beeb or elsewhere is listening, this should be your next hit sitcom.

I would recommend this book to anyone who really needs to laugh at the absurdities of modern life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book! Loved it!, 25 Dec 2010
Brilliant!! I loved this book about the real life of a woman Police Officer. I could not put it down and didnt want to finish it. I hope she rights another. She is VERY sarcastic. I laughed the whole way through it. I loved her view on Community Police off...icers (who cant arrest or investigate), saying that "i forsee a glorious age whereby PCSO's gradually learn to do everything done currently by police officers. When they get powers of arrest they will receive a warrant card. They will no longer be called PCSO's but will be given a sparkly new title like 'police officers' ". Loved it. Definately recommend. She speaks a a lot about trying to get detections and having them taken away which is also funny and ridiclous. Highly recommended read!See more

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 7 Dec 2010
I found this a very good book to read. It looks at the frustrations faced daily by our police officers. Some very funny stories to tell too which I wont go into, definately worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 13 Mar 2010
Just finished this book. It totally rings true. no idea if anyone not "in the job" would enjoy it as much. I'll see when I pass it on. Buy it!