5.0 out of 5 stars King of Cases?
Published on 18 Mar 2011 by marcoscu

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality lets down a great idea
I purchased this case for my iPhone 4s in June 2012.

Firstly I need to clear something up, this DOES fit the iPhone 4s perfectly despite what other reviews have said. If yours doesn't then check the device with Mophie to ensure you have a genuine product as there have been fakes sold on the internet in the past.

Having seen a friend's charger case on...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by UK Lad

5.0 out of 5 stars King of Cases?, 18 Mar 2011
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mophie Juice Pack Plus Case 2000 mAh and Rechargable Battery for iPhone 4/4S - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A continued problem with the iPhone is that of poor battery life. I often go for country walks using the iphone for navigation, photography, uploading photos and data, and listening to music. I have found I can only get between three and fours hours of use between charges even with wifi and bluetooth turned off. So I have always had to rely on external batteries to keep me going when using my iPhone 4 intensively in this way.

I have used other external battery units and whilst all have worked well to a greater or lesser degree none have entirely answered my needs. Some have lacked the necessary amount of power, others have been poorly designed, others have been too flimsy and not offered enough protection.

This top of the range solution from Morphie seems like the answer in many ways. The build quality is very good and the case has a reassuring professional finish with a non slip rubberised feel to it. The battery power is greater than that of the iPhone's own battery and so should at least double the life of the phone between charges. There is an unobtrusive row of LED's to indicate the charging status and battery remaining for the Juicepack. You can charge both the JuicePack and iPhone battery as well as sync the iPhone without needing to remove it from the case. Full and easy access is available to the iPhone buttons and cameras. The case is constructed in such a way that it boosts the sound from the tiny iPhone speakers and this does in fact work - the sound is louder and fuller when the case is fitted.

When the case is fitted the user can select if the iPhone takes power from the Juicepack or from the internal battery. When the Juicepack power is turned on (by means of a tiny switch in the casing) the iPhone thinks it is plugged into an external power supply and charges the internal battery from it. The iPhone keeps the internal battery topped up from the Juicepack until both are exhausted. A standard USB to mini-USB cable is supllied for charging, no need to use an Apple cable.

The iPhone with the Juicepack fitted is smaller than you might suppose and feels like a new albeit larger phone rather than an existing phone with added battery. It feels smooth and elegant in the hand and looks upmarket in the way the iPhone itself does. However, the phone is now about twice as thick as it was and this may put casual users off. This is a battery first and a case second. The phone is still exposed on the front face and it is a pity no screen protector was supplied. When I fitted the Juicepack my original screen protector came off and until I fit a new one the phone feels exposed and vulnerable to damage at the front.

This case is by no means inexpensive and there are several competitors on the market which are far cheaper. However, I do look on this one as being, well, the iPhone 4 of iPhone 4 battery/cases.

The Good
Good build quality
At least doubles effective battery life
Good documentation and packaging
Uses standard USB to mini-USB cable
Does not add substantially to the weight or bulk of the iPhone
Case construction boosts both volume and sound quality of internal speakers
Discreet LED's indicate battery condition
Full access to Iphone buttons and cameras.

The Bad
Adds somewhat to the size and weight of the iPhone
No screen protector supplied
Expensive compared to rivals
Recessed headphone socket prevents use of some angled jackplugs

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality lets down a great idea, 11 Jun 2012
I purchased this case for my iPhone 4s in June 2012.

Having seen a friend's charger case on their iPhone I realised what a great addition they were to smart phones. You could enjoy protection for your phone while also enjoying extra battery life. If you're someone like me who uses their phone for photos, GPS, the odd bit of gaming and general web browsing then a battery pack is a must to avoid being left without a phone for parts of the day while away from home. So in theory this product should have been perfect for me. Sadly the build quality of the Mophie let it down...

Protection:
This case will offer some form of protection for your phone, but remember it's also a battery charging device and as such normal protective cases will offer more protection for your money - obviously as the cost of no battery charging. So with this in mind consider that this will offer less protection than more solid built cases.
It's also worth noting that this does nothing for protecting your screen, you will need a screen protector separately if you purchase one of these cases.

Battery Life:
The all important part of the case. You're looking at a larger charge case which means it's slightly bulkier than the lower capacity models. So with that in mind you want a lot more 'juice' for your cash. I found that this case gave me an extra 2 hours usage on my iPhone and didn't quite manage to fully charge the phone when it was warning me it's battery level was nearly empty. It was only a slight charge under a full battery, but don't expect a full charge from this case.
Another down side is that the case takes a long time to fully charge. The case's charge is measured in 4 lights at the bottom of it. To get all 4 fully lit I've had to leave it on charge for around 6 to 7 hours! Working out that I get around 2 hours extra use from my iPhone 4s for that charge makes it look less than economical...

Build Quality:
This is where the case lets itself down sadly.
Within just TWO days of ownership I had two wear mark on the case. This usage was simply placing the phone, within the case, in to my pocket in my jeans and generally walking. Within these two days the nice feeling rubber coating from the back of the case had worn completely through to the bare shiny plastic underneath. The wear marks were in the same spots on either side and around 5-6mms each. Very noticeable and while they don't stop the case from working they do ruin the appearance of it and also cause you to question just how much protection this case will give your phone.
Further to the above, around ONE week later the front of the case has also started to loose it's rubber coating in several areas, revealing the plastic underneath. Again this is just from being left in my pocket while walking. I have not dropped the phone and it's not come in to any rough use.
Another more major problem is that the micro USB charging port on the case is also faulty after ONE weeks use! At first this was fine, no issues, but the last few days I've noticed the case won't charge. You have to fiddle with the USB lead, moving it back and forth several times, to get a connection with the micro USB port suggesting to me that it's loose inside.
Such issues after only 1 weeks use cause me serious concerns about the long life aspect of this product and I'm currently in the process of asking the seller for a replacement, hoping my case was just a one off defected model - I'll update this review accordingly when this is resolved to let you all know what happened and if it's all resolved.

All in all this should have been a great case and had it worked how I hoped I'd be giving it top marks. Sadly the poor build quality and other issues above mean it's a good idea built bad. It's a shame because my friend's case, from another brand, works flawlessly and is also smaller in form too. I don't feel I can recommend this product based on my experiences so far sadly...

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit Item! AVOID!, 2 Feb 2013
Chris Smith (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After receiving this product I thought it was quite badly made and not up to the standard of Mophies usual products so was quite disapointed. After probably only a couple of months use the case started to fall apart so I contacted Mophie for a replacement under warranty. Mophie asked for a picture of the serial number on the product and my receipt and have confirmed that it is counterfeit. Still awaiting a response from the seller to resolve this and get my money back - no response yet so will shortly be in touch with the police to get it sorted!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a snug fit for the iPhone4S, 17 Nov 2011
Great item loved it on my old iPhone As I have just upgraded to iPhone 4s had to buy a new one however the slot on the side doesn't match up with sound switch

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, 25 July 2011
Intrakota "Twa.t Magnet" (Coventry, West Mids, UK & Bangkok Th) - See all my reviews
All potential customers of "Iseekgadgets" should be aware that they are selling counterfeit Mophie Juice Pack Plus Batteries.

I had 2 from them for the iPhone4, one had to be returned and was exchanged eventually, I had registered them on the Mophie.com website and all appeared to be OK.
When one of them started playing up again I contacted Mophie in the USA, they asked me to provide the serial number of the faulty unit, so I sent both serial numbers, I then got a reply from them asking me to photograph the two units together again showing the serial numbers.

Imagine my surprise when David Hertz, Customer Advocate at Mophie.com wrote back telling me that my two batteries were "COUNTERFEIT" Amazon have since refunded me but not before I had to return the batteries to ISEEKGADGETS, a trip to trading standards would have meant no refund.

I have asked Amazon to investigate the matter but I get the impression they couldn't care less - business as usual then.

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit product, 30 April 2014
Short story: Counterfeit

Long story: My wife bought a morphie juicepack from a high-street store of one of the biggest UK mobile phone providers about two years ago. When it twice damaged/ failed, within its warranty period, we contacted morphie USA and sent pictures of the serial number. We were promptly sent replacement units, no questions asked. Outstanding service and completely hassle free. The unit was good and boosted battery life such that it could go a whole day without an additional charge.

When the original unit came to the end of its life outside of its warranty period, we bought another unit from a seller on Amazon UK. We had noted numerous previous comments that the units were fake and hence would not be covered by warranty. The first thing my wife said on receiving the new juicepack was that it did not feel as well put together as the first one. It didn't fit over the iphone as snugly either. Even the stencilled serial number was different, it was printed instead. Without using the unit, we took a picture of the serial number and asked for confirmation, from morphie dot com, whether it was genuine. They confirmed it was a fake unit.

We contacted the company we bought it from, telling them of what we had found and asked for a refund. Our e-mail was neither aggressive nor carried the tone of anger.
"Good Evening, The above product that I have received today is slightly different to the one that I am replacing. I have taken pictures of the phone and serial numbers and emailed them to customer [e-mail address removed] ([e-mail address removed]) and they have confirmed the above product is a counterfiet mophie product. How do i go about return the product and getting a refund please. Thank you"

Their reply was................... I will include a short extract from their reply which was, in my view, over-the-top, unnecessary and off-putting.
"Let us assure you that the product is not c ounterfiet. We have sold hundreds of these and every mophie juice pack is different. If we send you the french or German mophie it would have different serial make and packaging. Before we take matter further for false accusation and defaming us, we will take the matter to the court, as we take these matters seriously. If the product was faulty or anything then their is an excuse. We get from authorize distributor in UK. "
We were sent a self-addressed envelope where we posted the counterfeit juicepack back by recorded mail so we could have evidence that the item was received on the other end. Amazon has this morning confirmed the refund.

I thought this review was important to warn other interested parties.

I also think that Amazon has a duty of care towards its customers to investigate these incidences. I have asked them what they are doing about this.

The genuine juicepack is good. We have since bought a juicepack from the official website and it feels much better in terms of quality with the added safety of a 1 year warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Dec 2012
Mrs. Gerry McDougall "Gerry" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Within days the matt coating started to come off and continued to come off and it now looks very tatty. I will be returning it and asking for a replacement of a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE COUNTERFEIT PRODUCT, 5 Sep 2012
I ordered this mophie juice pack plus case end of May. It arrived and all seemed to be in order. I was pleased with it but anything that extends the battery on an iphone is good. Then on 1 August it just stopped working completely. Dead to everything. I contacted Mophie as I was outside of the returns period with Amazon. They said take a photo of the serial number and it turns out it's a counterfeit and Mophie can't assist. So BEWARE Of buying from gizmodosquare pte ltd as they have sold counterfeit goods. Maybe inadvertently but check google . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent if you need more power attached to your iPhone, 9 Mar 2011
Adam Bartleby "Bartleby2009" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After the initial `wow!' factor, the first thing I noticed about my iPhone was the big drop in battery life compared to my old, simple, text'n'phone mobile. If I use my phone a lot through the day for music, maps and internet, I find the power indicator is getting a bit low by the evening and, if I forget to charge it overnight, I run out of charge the next day.

Carrying a spare battery isn't an option as, unlike the rival HTC Desire or Desire HD, the iPhone's battery cannot be easily changed by the user.

The `horsepower' of mobile batteries is measured in mAh - the higher the number, the greater the capacity of the battery. The iPhone 4's internal battery has a 1420 mAh capacity and this battery pack case adds another 2000 mAh to this - i.e. well over another full charge worth before needing to plug-in. The pack is well built and mine came in a matt black rubberised material that is comfortable to hold and works pretty well as a protective case. However, the battery pack case inevitably adds more weight and bulk than a simple case.

If you need more power neatly attached to your iPhone, and don't mind adding a bit of weight and bulk, then I'd strongly recommend this product. However, if it is just more power that you are after (for example for a holiday without reliable access to plugs) then you might want to consider the TeckNet Universal USB Battery Pack, which contains a wopping 5000 mAh of juice and can be used with almost any portable device, although at the price of carrying an extra device and cable in your luggage.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT suitable for iPhone 4S, 1 Jan 2012
I had this thing refunded as it didn't fit the iPhone 4S - as the seller admitted to me.

Used with the iPhone 4S, the case doesn't close properly, and the slightest press on the top activates the sleep/wake button, rendering the thing unusable.

It was one of those nightmares of looking forward to it, getting it, finding it was no good for my iPhone, sending it back, getting a refund, etc., etc.

Surprised to see that it's still being advertised as suitable for the iPhone 4S. Doesn't that contravene the Trades Descriptions Act?