4.0 out of 5 stars A good beard trimmer, but not without it's flaws
Being beardy, but never having used a beard trimmer before (up until now I've just used a hair razor to trim the old facial features) I was interested in giving this bit of kit a try.

First Impressions:

Published on 26 Jan 2011 by Mr. J. D. Rose

Published on 20 Oct 2011 by Mr. A. D. H. Lowe

4.0 out of 5 stars A good beard trimmer, but not without it's flaws, 26 Jan 2011
Mr. J. D. Rose "stunteddwarf" (Trelewis, South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews

First Impressions:

Opening the box revealed that this is a well packaged item, without there being an excess of packaging to have to deal with. A good start. The trimmer itself is just the right size to hold and grip and, for it's size, has a good weight and heft to it, always a sign that a good quality motor has been installed, and to be expected from the Remington brand. The cord that comes with it is a decent enough length, although it could have been a bit more generous, and all the detachable parts, including the heads, appear to be well made and sturdy, another good sign pointing to the longevity of this item's usefulness.

Charging:

Charging or using from the mains was simple enough. I'm not so sure about charging this from a USB socket though. Through a desktop PC wouldn't be a problem, but in that case you might as well use the mains, assuming you're not in a foreign country. I'm certainly not planning on charging this through a laptop though.

Use:

Both the trimmer and the micro-setting comb worked extremely well, and I can't fault the result. The shaving head, at least on my face, wasn't quite as good, requiring several goes over the same area to produce a decent result. But the biggest problem lies in the size of the heads, which are too wide to shave or trim in the space between the outer edge of a goatee and the inner strip of hair running under the lip to the point of the chin. Remington could have done with providing a much smaller shaving head, in addition to the other, to allow for that level of precision.

Overall:

A very good strimmer for the facial topiary, but be aware that you may need to go back afterwards with a wet razor to get to the parts that the beard-trimmer can't reach.

3.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, powerful beard trimmer with only one practical drawback, 20 Oct 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wear electric razors out faster than I get through toothbrushes. I have quite thick facial hair which, like my afro hair, grows pretty quickly. So I'm always looking for something that lasts. The Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit works on a number of levels. You can adjust the blades to allow for 0.4mm to 5.5mm of stubble, and the titanium-coated blades are sharp enough that the razor glides with minimal friction during a dry shave. I've yet to see if it goes the distance, but so far so good. The last trimmer I had, the comb fittings were too flimsy (cheap plastic), and as a result they kept snapping. But the plastic used in this Remington trimmer's comb is much thicker than the last Remington blade I had, and so it's unlikely to have the same problem.

The only drawback, as others have mentioned, is the USB charge. Not that the option to charge via a USB slot isn't welcome (it is!), but the trimmer requires its own special USB charger, rather than a standard USB cable. Furthermore, the charge time via USB is pretty ridiculous, and because the trimmer won't operate whilst connected to the USB slot, you have to wait for the trimmer to charge a while before you can use it. That is a pain.

If it weren't for the USB problems, though--and let's be clear, it's a very useful feature which a lot of trimmers don't offer at all--this would score four stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stubble trimmer, does what it is supposed to., 16 May 2011
This review is from: Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit (Personal Care)
I got this after my previous trimmer stopped holding it's charge, from looking at reveiws of the same product I used to use on here, I wish I had avoided it and got this Remington MB4110 stubble trimmer in the first place, the charge on this product seems to last for ages and is a good solid design with easy to control levels of trimming available to light stubble length upwards, I am more than happy with the length it trims to, I like a light stubble look and the Remington is the perfect tool for the job. Ladies, if you are looking for a stubble or beard trimmer for your man, look no further.

If I had any gripes about it it would be that it didn't come with a blade cleaning brush or kit at all, and the dial you use to set the blade length isn't as clear as it should be to show you exactly what length you are setting it to in millimeters at each setting mark which has cost them a star, other than that you will not go wrong with this trimmer if you want an easily to control trimmer with a long battery life this is the one for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars stubble trimmer, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit (Personal Care)
I'm hardly desperate dan but this trimmer locks up on stubble even when fully charged. would not recommend sorry to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but tugs a bit on a longer beard, 28 Jan 2011
J. Walsh "joannejo90" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
May I just say that as a girlie this product was not for me but for my son in law, this is what he has to say

This is a great bit of kit but as I had let my beard grow a little more than normal, it did seem to struggle and tug a bit to start with. However, now I am at the right length for my stubble I find it an excelent shaver which trims to just how I want it and a very comfortable shave it is as well.

One of the things I really do like about this is that you can charge it via a USB port which is a great idea.

I love this item, I dont know how I did without it ....the design is modern and sleak.

All in all I am really pleased with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice, 23 Jan 2011
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Remington has a good reputation for care products and this item does not disappoint. The clippers themselves are lightweight and slim and feel great to hold, ergonomically designed in a nice shade of midnight blue. The clippers come complete with a nice quality canvass zip case, a USB cable and charger plus interchangeable heads for shaving. A very versitile shaver, nicely presented and excellant quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit (Personal Care)
this is without doubt the best beard trimmer on the market. I have tried many from different manufacturers but this is deffo the best out there. It is just like a small hair trimmer (can also be used for this if needed say when on holiday) and it has a great "razor" head for that super close shave.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Remington Beard Trimmer Massacre, 29 May 2012
Mr. W. J. Parks "wjp" (weymouth, dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit (Personal Care)
I bought this trimmer to maintain my short stubble (about 2mm max.) After having many trimmers in my time I picked this one because it was a reliable brand, had good reviews and, well, couldn't be any worse than the Babyliss I just came from. Unfortunately, the result is a mixed bag, really...

WHAT'S GOOD? It gives a very nice, precise shave, and doesn't take constant mowing of the same area just to get it to the right length. The battery life is awesome - it charges quickly and lasts forever. It has other features of course, but I only use it for short stubble and that's it. So yes, it performs well and gets the task done. It comes fitted with an easy to use manual dial system to select the length of beard wanted. Plus it comes in a nice bag too.

WHAT'S BAD? And so we approach the reason it's only got two stars... it's seriously painful to use! My stubble gets caught in the teeth constantly (an I mean constantly!) and it stings like hell to untangle it. I have tried all sorts of techniques to reduce this from happening but nothing works. I am a bit of a stubble monster, but I've never had this problem with the previous shavers I have used. (Ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive.) This really is a problem and lets the entire product down.

So, if you're a masochist looking for a nice neat quick shave this is the one for you! If your pain threshold isn't up to scratch you may need to look elsewhere. Or, you know, grow a beard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good For the Money, 7 Dec 2011
Brian Martin "lucky laddie" (Erskine Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For what you are paying this trimmer kit is worth the money.

It takes a bit of getting used too, kept on catching skin especially around the lip area with the guides. The machine does pull until you get used to it, and the shaver attachment is best left in the box as its not very good.

All in worth the money and maybe a good one to take on holiday and keep your best one at home.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for a thick beard, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit (Personal Care)
Neat and slim trimmer, easy to adjust and great design. However, it is not properly suited for men with thick beards! It is just to weak with very short and tight blades, and it takes ages to go over it all. I do think it would work better on men with less heavy growth of beard.

Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit