5.0 out of 5 stars So good...
One of those books you can't put down. Each chapter, of about 5-15 pages is a little story in itself - funny, sad, all moving in some way. I found myself trying to limit the amount I read I enjoyed it so much! A wonderful, simple, uncomplicated and fun book.
Published on 5 Jun 2008 by WH

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm!!
Not as funny as I had hoped for , but did have its moments, I didn't give up and read it to the end but was glad when I finished.
Published 21 months ago by AW

5.0 out of 5 stars So good..., 5 Jun 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars A crazy journey, 3 Nov 2008
A must have for anybody who has ambitions in the guiding industry or simply a love of wildlife. Full of campfire stories written so you never want to put the book down. This book makes you want to rush out and buy a plane ticket to Africa immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of fun, 5 Dec 2008
Judith Evans (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - the author has a good sense of humour and is not afraid to admit when he's done something different or just plain stupid. He seems to have a good feeling for Africa and its wild life.

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing collection of safari guide anecdotes, 23 Mar 2011
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Peter Allison was a 19 year old Australian backpacker when he ended up working in the bar at a safari park in South Africa. After a couple of years he progressed to safari guide and moved to a camp in Botswana. This is a collection of anecdotes over the stream of his career. The kind of stories he might tell sitting around the bush fire at night: The time I almost got eaten by a crocodile. Rude tourists that I have encountered. The time I outfoxed the monkeys who were keeping me awake. The time I stranded my tourist group in a hippo pool. The time we got lost in the Okovanga Delta. And so on. Many of the stories are extremely self-deprecating and I can't help suspect that there's been some embellishment along the way, but that only adds to the entertainment factor.

My initial impression when I started reading was that Allison was rather annoying, but he won me over by the sheer entertainment value of his stories. This is not the best book if you're wanting a serious read about animals and their behaviour, but it will definitely create the urge to head off on safari. A very engaging and amusing collection of stories. Recommended.

While there are some photographs included, I wish there were more - specifically it would be good to include a honey badger and a genet.

If this whets your appetite for similar reads, I recommend Backseat Safari, which is written by a nature photographer working in Southern Africa.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dont Run Whatever you do, 7 Aug 2009
Mr. R. Weaver (Chatham) - See all my reviews
A humerous and delightful and insightful book on the Okavango Swamps.
Good to read if you intend visiting these swamps or need to know about Ranger / tourist life in the swamps. The author is Australian and how he has adjusted to Wild Life and African expierences. Mossies - mice - lions - elephants and drowning Land Rovers .. German tourists and bird watchers.. all make up the fun of the book

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING, 10 Jan 2010
Brilliant book, but please be aware that it is the same as the UK version 'Dont Run, whatever you do'.
Unfortunately, having bought both books for a present, I was unaware of this until I went on to Peter Allison's website. Amazon treats these books as different too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 1 Oct 2009
J. A. Waller (Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this just after a safari in Botswana. It is laid out as a series of short stories. Very amusing and informative and very true to life on safari in Botswana. Good for either preparation or reminiscing for a safari or just a good general read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive read, 14 Sep 2012
Alison Aitken "Ali" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Run, Whatever You Do: My Adventures as a Safari Guide (Kindle Edition)
Bought this book when it was on offer and enjoyed it so much bought the next in the series at full price. A great mix of serious, funny and thought provoking. The chapters each tell their own short story and you can't help but read just one more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious account of a man's life as a safari guide in Africa, 4 Aug 2009
This book is Peter Allison's hilarious account of his life in Africa as a safari guide. Its a light hearted account of his life, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants some light reading.

I honestly struggled to put this down, wanting all the time to know what would happen next. I also loved the fact that there were photographs in the middle of the book, which helped me as a reader picture myself in the situations of the author.

Buy this book, its an excellent read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful..., 3 April 2010
I was looking online for books about Africa when I stumbled across this book. Ok, it as a picture of a big elephant on the front of it, I thought...why should I buy this book? Gut instinct is my only reason and a love of nature. I read other peoples reviews on it and took into account the book as been writen by Peter Allison himself - first hand accounts - pure and simple. It is always good to take a chance on something new, you never know what you might learn! The book is beautifully written and page after page you feel part of a whole new world of discovery.

Peter Allison's book in my opinion is something that should not be taken granted and we are privileged he chose to share his adveture with us so we might start our own...and maybe we can all learn a little more about wildlife and conservation...just a wonderful read!

DON'T RUN, Whatever You Do: My Adventures as a Safari Guide