4.0 out of 5 stars Slow paced but comes to a great crescendo
Based on the novel "A Very Private Gentleman" by Martin Booth, The American follows the story of Jack (George Clooney - Up In The Air) an assassin and weapon smith. After his cover is blown in Sweden, Jack flees to Italy and is sent to lie-low in the picturesque hill-top town of Castel Vecchio. Jack's paranoia means he is distrusting of his handler and relocates to the...
Published on 19 Dec 2010 by J. Morris

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to expectations
We all kept waiting for something to happen. Slow wasn't the word - half the family fell asleep. Boy did I get some stick for picking this one.
Published 1 month ago by M. R. Weatherhead

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull 60s/70s throwback, 24 Jun 2011
Clever, albeit slow.

Nope, it really, really isn't.

Dull, yep... but it's worse than dull: it's derivative, throwback tosh. EVERYTHING that you need to know about this film can be surmised from its packaging.

There are beautiful and expensive locations and women, guns and - of course - George Clooney. All thrown together in a DVD whose cover design strongly resembles a 60s/70s thriller from Michael Caine's back catalogue (circa 'Get Carter'). I guessed how this film would end based on the design of its jacket, THAT'S how formulaic and derivative this production is. It's also hugely misogynistic - and not even in a mildly entertaining way (that 60s/70s favourite - the hooker of salvation - is present!) - and dwells on an underdeveloped relationship between a hitman/weapons expert (Clooney's role is muddled here) and a priest. Thrown in with this derivative garbage there's also a female hitter and some mild 'Prizzi's Honor' tension.

Within a fairly short space of time, I not only found myself thinking of Michael Caine, but with the introduction of the priest... the dire Dirk Bogarde/John Mills venture 'The Singer Not the Song' and once the hooker, Clara, was also thrown in... Sergio Leone's 'Once Upon a Time in the West' - Clara is a pretty direct descendant of Claudia Cardinale's character. My suspicions regarding the film's ambitions were confirmed during a scene when Clooney sits in a bar where the owner is watching Henry Fonda in 'Once Upon a Time in the West' on the bar TV... AND draws attention to this. Bah!

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of Time, 27 Nov 2010
Jonathan (Hünstetten, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The American [DVD] (DVD)
What an apallingly dull, uninteresing film, without plot or story line. Unfortunately like all of Clooney's films, it fails to please or impress. He should have stuck to ER and left the acting career at that.

If you liked Jackie Brown or No Country for Old men, then this is probably a film for you, but definitely not for me and most normal film viewers.

Clooney you have had your lasr chance with me. Thanks for ruining my Saturday night at the movies

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn! Time for bed., 16 July 2011
This review is from: The American [DVD] (DVD)
If only I could give it no stars. I didn't want to watch this movie and I was forced to by my sister. From the very moment this dire movie began I knew it was going to be an overrated movie by an overrated actor. As usual I was right. The story was too long and it had no thrill or chill, I don't even know what category to put it in to. I said to myself while watching it 'there must be something, there has to be something' but there was nothing. Even my sister who really wanted to watch it fell asleep. I say I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to waste 2 hours of their life or someone who wants to be put to sleep, its guaranteed to work.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Trailer Is Better Than The Film, 27 Feb 2011
Mr. Michele Neylon (Carlow, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The American [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I've enjoyed a lot of George Clooney films. He has a certain presence about him.
Unfortunately with The American you get to see how even he can't save a poor script.

Best avoided.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: The American [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This movie took 3 hours of my life i'll never get back. I saw it in the cinema. It was one of those times I went to the cinema without finding out what it was about HUGE MISTAKE!!

1.0 out of 5 stars DEADLY SLOW, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: The American [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A NIGHT IN A BOTTLE OF GOOD WINE AND A GOOD FILM....HOW LET DOWN WERE MY FRIENDS AND I. THE FILM HAS A PROMISING START BUT DIES A DEATH AFTER THE FIRST SCENE.WE KEEP WATCHING THINKING SOMETHING GOOD WOULD HAPPEN BUT IT FAILS MISERABLY IN ALL AREAS OF SUSPENSE/INTEREST.MY ADVICE ....GIVE THIS A MISS.

The American [Blu-ray]
The American [Blu-ray] by Anton Corbijn (Blu-ray - 2011)