4.0 out of 5 stars Utility book?
As many have said, you either like Austin Healey. Or you don't. That appears to be not only the case with the rugby watching public, but those within the game as well.

Published on 19 Nov. 2012 by Mr. Peter Franklin

This book is badly titled - it should be 'me and my ego' !
Published 1 month ago by Scott_1951

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Utility book?, 19 Nov. 2012
Mr. Peter Franklin "Pedro" (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)

In this autobiography, we really get into his character. He tells of his rugby career, warts and all. We shake our heads as he alienates coaches and this evidently costs him game time at club and international level. You find out that he judges people as black or white until pretty late into his playing career, when a bit of diplomacy does belatedly appear. We find he has a genuine love of the game though, but a deeper love of playing it. He is understandingly mightily gutted (to use a sporting term) when his England career comes to an end pretty much on the eve of the 2003 World Cup, which of course, England won.

One thing that non-players perhaps don't realise is the injuries that people playing sport at these high levels endure and perform with. Often the treatments are as painful as the injuries and it certainly takes courage. It says a lot that people continue playing and Healey was no exception here. Reading about his problems, while he still plays matches is really eye-opening.

We get the Justin Harrison story here too, which in some ways is a microcosm of his career and character. To be fair, Healey does recognise his character flaws and tells us about them and he tries to rectify them, with some success.

In the end, he's an interesting feller, who provided not some little enjoyment to rugby fans, me included. This book carries on that theme, it is enjoyable and well written (not something you could say about all sporting autobiographies). I read it pretty quickly and that's always a good indicator of how much I enjoy a book.

So there you go. Good book, Austin, and thanks for the pleasure you gave to me watching you play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healey simply tells you as it is, but you would not expect anything else!, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
Well I expected nothing less from this fascinating character. Austin is a typical northerner in being black and white and telling his audience in whatever domain, exactly how it is. Missing out on the world cup in 2003 was without a tragedy for Healey as this would have signed off a glorious career that took him from Merseyside to the white hot heat of Welford Rd and he many international stages he graced. English Rugby fans like to see heroes and for me with all the work that Austin did in the years leading up to Australia in 2003, he diserved to stand with the victorious squad on their return from their world cup victory. He had been a key part of the squad in getting the team and the whole of english rugby for that matter, ready for an achievement, that will forever be written in british sporting history. This is great and easy ready from a remarkable man who served his sport selflessly. Thanks for the memories Aus.

3.0 out of 5 stars He comes over as self-delusional and bitter and I found myself constantly thinking - 'get over it and move on' - as clearly Aust, 21 April 2015
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
This book is badly titled - it should be 'me and my ego' !
I used to think Austin Healey was being amusing with his comments and put-downs but realize, after reading this book, that he really is as shallow as he appears. He comes over as self-delusional and bitter and I found myself constantly thinking - 'get over it and move on' - as clearly Austin Healey believes the every Leicester & England coach failed to appreciate his potential - but if every coach had a poor opinion of him - surely there was a reason.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked the book not the man, 18 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
I have read a number of bios from this generation of rugby player and this one is one of the better ones. We get a proper picture of what he went through in his failure to be fit for what ended up as England's greatest rugby triumph.

The only real disappointment in the book (and those of other Tigers players) is the picture that was painted of heavy drinking and bullying in the Tigers squad left a number of individuals (including the authors) with much less of my respect than before I read them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
Austin's story is a good read. The insights into training sessions, high jinks with the likes of Will Greenwood and Leon Lloyd and tales of in-fighting (plentiful and of the fist variety) are great. Austin has a propensity to moan a fair bit, but then should I be surprised? The drinking stories are funny but there are so many they become slightly tedious. But only slightly. Overall a worthwhile purchase for all rugby fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugger man, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
I haven't finished this book yet, but I already know it is a 5-star book insofar as I'm concerned because I struggle to put it down. Austin Healey reminds me of Cassius Clay AKA Mohammad Ali - in his own mind he is the greatest rugby player ever and the strongest and toughest as well which I for one, struggle to agree with, but nevertheless this is a great read if rugby is your sport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Me and my mouth Austin Healey, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
As a fan of Scottish Rugby, i was apprehensive to read a book about The Auld Enemy, and in particular about a player who broke our hearts on more than one occaision. A fanastaic read, a very honest, frank and great autobiography. Its a pity Austin was let down by injury, the rugby world misses him. Read this book, its worth the suprises, he is right about his mouth!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read!!!, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
Playing rugby myself since I was 5, I always had the dream of playing at the level Austin did. His story really shows the highs and lows the professional game has brought to rugby, both on your mental state and physical well being. Great read from a professional gobby half back!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
Compelling read about one of the game's misunderstood players. His one liners were and are genius.
My only wish is that this autobiography had have been written later in his life to find to find out more about life after rugby.

4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all!, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Me and My Mouth: The Austin Healey Story (Kindle Edition)
Healey has never been afraid to speak his mind and this book is no exception. There is an unseemly side to his character which needs curbing and the anecdotes of his rugby days show immaturity. Nevertheless I did enjoy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›