on 25 April 2014
Our cat used it correctly for a couple of days, and then discovered that he could get his head in the top, and eat from there. He uses one of the large holes on the top level to stand on with his front paws, which gives him the height to get his head into the opening in the lid. So now he just stands there and eats from the top. Any biscuits that fall down to the lower levels whilst he’s got his head in the top tend to sit there for a while before he goes back and uses the maze correctly. The flaw could be easily solved with a smaller hole in the lid.

Another observation is that the unit needs quite a bit of space as the cat needs access to all sides to be able to get all biscuits out. It’s not something you can just sit in a corner, as your cat won’t be able to access all biscuits.
review image
on 21 May 2011
My two Tonkinese cats have always had a bit of a weight problem, made worse by the fact that I would feed on-demand just to shut them up. The vet suggested getting them something that would make eating a little more challenging. So I had a look round and found this fantastic cat-tormenting device.

It's early days, but so far it's brilliant. They both learned how to use it in a day (it was either that or starve). It's incredible how much less they are both eating once the tiniest bit of effort is involved. It fully leverages a cat's natural inclination to do sod-all: after a couple of biscuits they're all like 'I can't be arsed with this' and it's off for a lie down to recover.

There has still been a bit of hurt and wounded yowling for food but whereas before I felt the need to jump and respond at once (bringing a whole new meaning to the term 'pussy whipped' in the process), now I can just go 'cat, feed thyself'. After all, food has still been provided - just under new Ts and Cs.

1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2012
We bought the maze after noticing that our cat seemed a bit bored with his food, also to provide some entertainment for him and slow down his eating to help him lose some weight.

Initially he just sniffed it a bit and walked off so I put some treats inside it and he got started. It didn't take him long to figure it out although he mainly tried to cheat by pulling the food out by the holes on the sides. Then he discovered that he could eat more efficiently through the big hole from the top. Consequently, we had to put the play circuit around the maze to keep it from falling over and some cardboard at the top to keep him from cheating. By now he seem to have figured out how to get it out through the maze and seem to really enjoy it as he never leaves a single bite! He'll try to get us to give him "easier" food but once he realises he's not getting any he spends a long time at it getting the food out.

I would recommend the food maze as it keeps them mentally and physically entertained, it slows down their eating and it's rather entertaining to watch! The product is of good quality and the rubber mat keeps it in place. The only downside is the big hole at the top where a lid would be useful.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2012
I have two indoor cats, one only eats enough to live but the other lives to eat. Some time ago, I bought a dish where the cat has to press a pad to open the lid and tried to teach my male cat to open it, thinking he could just help himself whenever he felt the need, without my female cat eating her food and then his. I gave up after a couple of weeks because it was too much trouble to him, 'just for food'. My female cat, however, had it open in two seconds flat, even though I hadn't shown her how to use it. I resorted to putting my male cat's food on top of the utility room sink unit because he could jump up but she was too lazy (or to heavy) to but it's amazing how quickly she'll change the habits of a lifetime when food is the incentive.

I now use the food maze for her cat biscuits and it is ideal. It won't stop my greedy cat eating too much, if I over filled it, but it slows down how many biscuits she gets at a time. She has to actually find biscuits and manoeuvre them from the top to the middle and then the bottom shelves before they comes out into the food dish at the bottom. The difficulty level can be altered too to make it harder or easier depending on cat's ability.

I should say though that it probably wouldn't work for every cat as my male cat isn't at all interested in 'working' for his food. He'd rather starve.
on 23 April 2011
I love this, but more importantly so does my cat. A real challenge that he really seems to enjoy, with the added bonus of his favourite treat at the end. I was very impressed it held his attention for so long!

Very stable (it fell over once but that was my fault for not attaching the base properly) and remarkable well thought through. You can even vary the difficulty as your cat works it out.

Excellent idea if your out all day and that bowl of dried food left on the floor is seeming too boring for your cat to even bother with.

The whole range of CatIt products is excellent and so refreshing. There are so many toys like this aimed at dogs that are impractical for little paws so find a range like this that isn't just brightly coloured things on strings is great.
on 5 February 2012
I bought this because I was worried that my newly adopted indoor cat would get bored, and she was getting through her food really fast. Not only has it worked on both counts, it's also freaking adorable to watch.

It took her a while to figure out - for the first couple of weeks she was hooking food out of the holes in the sides, which worked ok but was slow. I also had to move it after she worked out she could stand on the coffee table and eat straight out the top! She's had it a few weeks now though and has got pretty good at it - but because she eats every biscuit as soon as it falls into the bottom tray it's still slowing down her eating. She's never exactly thrilled to get food in the maze instead of a bowl, but she puts up with it.

Build quality seems fine, I'm a bit concerned that the pegs on the base won't stand up to repeated washing and reassembly but it's been ok so far.
on 1 January 2012
Bought this for my two indoor cats but not only do they knock it over to get the treats out but Ziggy takes them from the top. Maybe it's just my cats that are either a bit dim or far too cunning? Anyway they lost interest in about 2 days not a good buy.
on 24 March 2011
This is great fun! I am spending happy hours watching my elderly cat at work.

When I first introduced her to it she thought she could just sit and mew and I would do it for her, like everything else difficult in this life. She soon sussed that this wasn't happening, and she was going to have to take matters into her own paws. She isn't the brightest of cats, but has worked it out enough to be getting the treats out. Not always by the route the manufacturers envisaged, but she is getting them.

The item is solid, and she has not managed to knock it over. The rubber ring that holds it in place works well, the toy does not slide on laminate floor, so this would be fine on a table or a kitchen floor.

I would recommend this for keeping a bored, elderly, idle cat occupied. She would not be willing to chase toys anymore, but is she is willing to keep working at this, and she is getting a fair amount of exercise walking round in circles trying to work out how to get the next treat.
on 19 December 2012
After reading other reviews I decided on this to help keep my cat Marley, amused while I was out at work. You do need to put a dish on the top as other reviewers have mentioned otherwise he just eats the biscuits from the top. Have also found he doesn't eat as many biscuits so helps with weight control too. Excellent product, sturdy and easy to clean.
on 23 July 2012
I have 2 cats , a 4 year old and a 13 year old. We live in an apartment unfortunately without garden access but there is a large window with secure netting looking out at trees, birds and a courtyard.
The 4 year old is a British Shorthair Blue and most of the time wired to the moon :-) He needs to be physically active several hours a day otherwise he gets too boisterous with the older cat and it can lead to fights.
It became obvious that i needed to provide them with more activities so that they are busy while im at work.
I did my research with what Amazon had to offer as well as reading the reviews.
I was very excited reading the reviews for the "Catit" and "Trixie" activities and i purchased the Catit Senses Food Maze.
As my cats love the yummy treats i give them i place the small pieces into the hole and sit back and be entertained :-) I have to place a heavy book on the top of the open hole as my younger cat discovered the easiest way to access the food was to climb on top and put his head into the hole :-)
Highly recommended.