5.0 out of 5 stars Razer Nostromo- Excellent for new to PC gamers
Published on 7 Nov. 2012 by memoryman15

2.0 out of 5 stars Whoever designed this had lobster claws for hands
Having never used the old Belkin devices, this is the first Nostromo I have played with and I can not recommend the experience. My overriding feeling is this is a gamepad that does not live up to the promise.

Published 23 months ago by J

5.0 out of 5 stars Razer Nostromo- Excellent for new to PC gamers, 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I love this little device. When I bought my first gaming PC, about 3 months ago now, I was unsure I would adapt from Xbox 360 controls to Keyboard and mouse. I wanted to though because friends had been telling me for years how much of an advantage aiming with a mouse was. and they were right, aiming with a mouse is so much easier, but the keyboard gave me cramp after just a couple hours of play. I came across this, saw the word "ergonomic" and couldn't have clicked "buy now" quicker. It arrived a couple of days later and I was exited, I set it up to play blacklight retribution (I hadn't ordered anything else at the time, I have Dishonored now :D) first time use was... educative, I had tried to use the D-pad for movement and found that it was too stiff for frequent thumb shifting. So I changed movement back to the 3789 keys (equivalent to WASD on the Nostromo). To get the settings right for you you will have to fiddle with the settings allot, but once you know how you like the controls for one game it helps you set it up for another. Like assigning sprint to the upper D-pad and jump to several keys (12 13 14) so you don't forget where it is.

-----------------------------------

The controls I ended up liking for Dishonored-

3 7 8 9- Movement

D-pad up- sprint

2 4- leaning

12 13 14- All jump (note- I tried to use 15 but it is hard to reach in the heat of battle)

11- Block/chock

10- Sneak

D-pad left and right- Elixirs

D-pad down- Zoom

16- Use/Sheathe Weapon [hold] (thumb button)

15- pause (This is the equivalent button to the space bar)

-----------------------------------

I will likely use similar controls for Bioshock Infinite and Assassin's creed 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Piece Of Kit "From An FPS Gamer", 10 Oct. 2011
Shifty One "steve" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I bought this a while ago, as I had upgraded to Win 7, and my old Nostromo would no longer work with 7.
It is well made, and the keys are nice base sticks to the desk, and hardly moves.
Keys are very good, as is the rest for the hand.

If I had to moan it would be with the program, as I dont think its, as good as the old NOstromo program.
It was nice to click a key on the old one, and see it come up, but with the new one that does not happen, so
a bit of pain really, as more thought could have gone into it.

Other than that it is a really great piece of kit.
Im a big FPS gamer, and have had two of the older Nostromo's although you can program this for any game
just type the name of the profile then add the keys for that game click accept, and its all saved for you
upto 20 profiles can be saved, so quite a few really.

You wont get used to it straight away it will take about a week, and then you'll wonder why you did'nt get it before.
It does save you stretching your hand all over the keyboard, and by the time you have looked for the key your dead, so my advice get one of
these, and take the pain out of gaming.
Oh yea make sure you download the latest drivers for this from Razer I have had no problems with those at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pad, 5 Aug. 2011
delivery ok
it takes a bit of time to adapt to the nostromo but you get use to it quite fast. playing on a laptop, it is way better now (:

4.0 out of 5 stars Razer Nostromo expert keypad, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I did a lot of research on this product as it was for my son who has fairly long fingers. He finds it very comfortable and easy to use. His gameplay is so much quicker with this. Delivered within specified time and good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 10 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
very handy and comfortable piece of hardware, very easy to program, and had excellent support off Razer, as i didnt recive the software disk, i downloaded it off the website, which is no problem at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of Kit, 7 April 2011
G. R. Farmer "Skuzzlebutt" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I've had this a few weeks now and I'm very impressed with it. It takes a bit of getting used to but if you're a proper MMO gamer then organisation is the difference between success and failure. I was having massive problems using my keyboard with the configuration that was set by DC Universe. In combat in the game you need to block regularly to mitigate damage, however for some reason they assigned the Shift key as the block, and the backslash button (which is adjacent) opens up a non related window. When I was PvPing I was finding that I'd often miss key and hit the backslash key in error which would stop all actions my toon was doing and open up a window relating to nothing in particular which I would have to shut down as quick as I could or find myself dead, which was usually the case.

This Keyboard changed all of that. You can set your interface up exactly as you want. Have macro's done for your instances or PvP. You can have a different set ups for every game you play and it will improve you playing results, if you work it out properly.

It's a well made component, the shape moulds perfectly to your hand and your fingers won't cramp up after an hour or so of playing. The cable is well insulated with gold terminals for better connectivity, with a good sized length to it. All data and updates are downloaded from the manufacturers site. The setup software is simple enough to use. If you're used to gaming then it shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of buttons to program, and macro's to design. This is a very well made, well designed piece of gaming kit. I thoroughly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Whoever designed this had lobster claws for hands, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)

The software and drivers from the razer website are great. The keypad works exactly as intended, every button is mappable, macros work excellently. No problems there at all.

My problems are of a purely ergonomic nature. Bare in mind I have used it for FPS gaming, therefore WASD, as primary. Whilst it may look perfectly designed for a human hand in pictures, this is misleading - trust me, it isn't. I have average sized hands with fairly long fingers and the Nostromo is a very uncomfortable place for my left hand to be.

Your wrist feels more strained than on a regular keyboard which is clearly a design flaw, the palm rest has two settings, neither of which are comfortable, in fact it feels better to remove it altogether. The biggest ergonomics problem is where to put your thumb, the only button it rests comfortably on (with your fingers defaulting on WASD) is the worst button on the entire pad, that small, pathetic little tappy button above the d-pad and you won't want to use it at all. You must stretch your thumb to use the d-pad itself, again, uncomfortable and a design flaw. Frankly if the small button and the d-pad were in opposite places, I would happily recommend this as a decent keypad. But I can not.

The button intended for the space bar is the biggest complaint I have for this device, you need to stretch your thumb to an incredibly silly angle merely to use it, thus making it completely useless as a primary input. I ended up mapping it to ALT-TAB. The scroll wheel is again difficult to reach, the only option being your index finger and you must again stretch, not worth using.

My final criticism is a small one but also the most irritating. The key mapped to W, the 'forward' key, is too shallow. Any designer worth their salt should have immediately realised that it needs to be raised slightly or curved towards your finger, or both (the same way that the bottom left button designed for your little finger is lowered and the bottom row curves inward). This small but significant issue translates into constant problems with not being able to keep enough pressure on the button for running, you'll find yourself stop-starting over and over again.

That ends my rant. Long story short, this 20 button gamepad with scroll wheel is really a 14 button (plus something you will never want to press) gamepad with no scroll wheel. Not worth £50, not even worth £20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of equipment, 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I bought the nostromo one month ago and i was very impressed with the delivery time, it came two days before it was supposed to which i was delighted with. I am a young gamer (a bit of a noob) but my laptop keyboard is very uncomfortable to play games with so i decided to buy this little piece of equipment.
Out of the box the first thing you notice is that it is a lot lighter than you would expect and slightly larger and wider than would expect but extremely comfortable. My ps3 recently broke so i started to play games on pc and this has improved my game an awful lot. Your hand does not cramp or feel uncomfortable even after an intense gaming session.
The piece itself is very nice looking with adjustable lighting and a long braided cable.The software however,is mindblowing. It is kindof hard to find the right download on the razer website but when you eventually get the right one it is great. With twenty different profiles with eight keymaps in each, you can have up 160 configurations. Macros can be set to unlimited length which comes in very handy when coding as you can set a html tag for each button for example instead of typing out <a href=" every time you need a link, you record this in a macro and then when you press the assigned button, it will write up the code. I would definitely recommend the nostromo and it is a worthwhile purchase, not only for gamers though.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT DIGGITY, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
WELL SUCK MY TOES AND CALL ME JAMIE, THIS IS A STURDY BIT OF KIT. I PAID 12574.25 NIGERIAN NAIRA FOR THIS, AND I DON'T LOOK BACK.

6/6 PAPAYAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing great for MMO, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
This is a great product and it is amazing for world of Warcraft . It arrived quickly and it is very good for its price. this is probably the best thing i have ever bought never any problems with it.

Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad