5.0 out of 5 stars Razer Nostromo- Excellent for new to PC gamers
Published 23 months ago by memoryman15

A very well built piece of gaming equipment.
The response time is excellent, and the software to program keys is very user-friendly.

After trying this with several games, most notably Skyrim, BF3, BF4 and X3, I decided I was personally better off with a keyboard.
Published 1 month ago by MR DR SINCLAIR

5.0 out of 5 stars Razer Nostromo- Excellent for new to PC gamers, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I love this little device. When I bought my first gaming PC, about 3 months ago now, I was unsure I would adapt from Xbox 360 controls to Keyboard and mouse. I wanted to though because friends had been telling me for years how much of an advantage aiming with a mouse was. and they were right, aiming with a mouse is so much easier, but the keyboard gave me cramp after just a couple hours of play. I came across this, saw the word "ergonomic" and couldn't have clicked "buy now" quicker. It arrived a couple of days later and I was exited, I set it up to play blacklight retribution (I hadn't ordered anything else at the time, I have Dishonored now :D) first time use was... educative, I had tried to use the D-pad for movement and found that it was too stiff for frequent thumb shifting. So I changed movement back to the 3789 keys (equivalent to WASD on the Nostromo). To get the settings right for you you will have to fiddle with the settings allot, but once you know how you like the controls for one game it helps you set it up for another. Like assigning sprint to the upper D-pad and jump to several keys (12 13 14) so you don't forget where it is.

-----------------------------------

The controls I ended up liking for Dishonored-

3 7 8 9- Movement

D-pad up- sprint

2 4- leaning

12 13 14- All jump (note- I tried to use 15 but it is hard to reach in the heat of battle)

11- Block/chock

10- Sneak

D-pad left and right- Elixirs

D-pad down- Zoom

16- Use/Sheathe Weapon [hold] (thumb button)

15- pause (This is the equivalent button to the space bar)

-----------------------------------

I will likely use similar controls for Bioshock Infinite and Assassin's creed 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Piece Of Kit "From An FPS Gamer", 10 Oct 2011
Shifty One "steve" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I bought this a while ago, as I had upgraded to Win 7, and my old Nostromo would no longer work with 7.
It is well made, and the keys are nice base sticks to the desk, and hardly moves.
Keys are very good, as is the rest for the hand.

If I had to moan it would be with the program, as I dont think its, as good as the old NOstromo program.
It was nice to click a key on the old one, and see it come up, but with the new one that does not happen, so
a bit of pain really, as more thought could have gone into it.

Other than that it is a really great piece of kit.
Im a big FPS gamer, and have had two of the older Nostromo's although you can program this for any game
just type the name of the profile then add the keys for that game click accept, and its all saved for you
upto 20 profiles can be saved, so quite a few really.

You wont get used to it straight away it will take about a week, and then you'll wonder why you did'nt get it before.
It does save you stretching your hand all over the keyboard, and by the time you have looked for the key your dead, so my advice get one of
these, and take the pain out of gaming.
Oh yea make sure you download the latest drivers for this from Razer I have had no problems with those at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Razer Nostromo expert keypad, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I did a lot of research on this product as it was for my son who has fairly long fingers. He finds it very comfortable and easy to use. His gameplay is so much quicker with this. Delivered within specified time and good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
very handy and comfortable piece of hardware, very easy to program, and had excellent support off Razer, as i didnt recive the software disk, i downloaded it off the website, which is no problem at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pad, 5 Aug 2011
delivery ok
it takes a bit of time to adapt to the nostromo but you get use to it quite fast. playing on a laptop, it is way better now (:

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of Kit, 7 April 2011
G. R. Farmer "Skuzzlebutt" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I've had this a few weeks now and I'm very impressed with it. It takes a bit of getting used to but if you're a proper MMO gamer then organisation is the difference between success and failure. I was having massive problems using my keyboard with the configuration that was set by DC Universe. In combat in the game you need to block regularly to mitigate damage, however for some reason they assigned the Shift key as the block, and the backslash button (which is adjacent) opens up a non related window. When I was PvPing I was finding that I'd often miss key and hit the backslash key in error which would stop all actions my toon was doing and open up a window relating to nothing in particular which I would have to shut down as quick as I could or find myself dead, which was usually the case.

This Keyboard changed all of that. You can set your interface up exactly as you want. Have macro's done for your instances or PvP. You can have a different set ups for every game you play and it will improve you playing results, if you work it out properly.

It's a well made component, the shape moulds perfectly to your hand and your fingers won't cramp up after an hour or so of playing. The cable is well insulated with gold terminals for better connectivity, with a good sized length to it. All data and updates are downloaded from the manufacturers site. The setup software is simple enough to use. If you're used to gaming then it shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of buttons to program, and macro's to design. This is a very well made, well designed piece of gaming kit. I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT DIGGITY, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
WELL SUCK MY TOES AND CALL ME JAMIE, THIS IS A STURDY BIT OF KIT. I PAID 12574.25 NIGERIAN NAIRA FOR THIS, AND I DON'T LOOK BACK.

6/6 PAPAYAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing great for MMO, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
This is a great product and it is amazing for world of Warcraft . It arrived quickly and it is very good for its price. this is probably the best thing i have ever bought never any problems with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well built and works great, but I decided I prefer keyboards., 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
A very well built piece of gaming equipment.

I found it uncomfortable to use, particularly the large thumb button below the "D-pad". This is more a personal preference though, I know several people who own one of these and swear by them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another unwelcome addition to the Nostromo family., 29 April 2011
This review is from: Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad (Personal Computers)
I have owned all 4 types of this peripheral (n50, n52, n52te and now this Razer Nostromo), I'm a FPS gamer and review it from that standpoint rather than the MMOers above. Simply put, my opinion is : "Don't buy this, beg borrow or steal a Belkin Nostromo n52 instead".

When I first discovered the n50 it was a Godsend - no more cramp in my hand from clawing over the WASD keys...bliss! The n52 added another layer of keys which helped more than I thought it would. The n52te was a huge disappointment; looks-wise it was a step up but there were problems with the D-pad which Belkin never fixed (and indeed the official forums were closed due in large part (IMO) to the negative criticism posted by owners - myself one of them), for a long time it remained an expensive paperweight until I found a work-around.

So, I was hoping that this new incarnation would be better; it has upgraded software eliminating the previous problems which plagued the n52te we are told. Don't believe it, the problems remain. I use the directional thumb pad for movement leaving the rest of my fingers free to change weapon/throw a nade/lean/prone/etc. However, the D-Pad diagonals still have to be disabled in order for it to be used for movement (something the n50 and n52 never suffered from), the Razer Configurator (as an aside: seriously, how awful is that name?) software isn't as easy to use as it first seems - the amount of times I've clicked 'OK' to OK a profile change and then realised that in Razer-ish 'OK' actually means 'exit the programme'...*sigh*, and there are issues (as stated in previous reviews) with macros 'freezing' the unit. Personally, I've used it in Black Ops recently and have the constant issue of throwing a smoke nade stopping the D-pad functioning, amazingly annoying as a game like BlOps requires constant movement and yet a simple action (the pressing of the '4' key) causes the D-pad to stop working.

Pros: It looks great, build quality is excellent, braided cord is an improvement, button above the D-pad is now easy to use.
Cons: D-Pad diagonals issue, macros 'freeze' the unit until they're not activated anymore, button conflicts.

Overall, £45 of my hard-earned cash wasted. I should have eBayed for a n52 instead.

Razer Nostromo Expert Keypad