4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased..
I've had this camera a couple of weeks now and used it for portrait work, landscapes and down a tin mine. It's done virtually all Fuji promises, and is a remarkably versatile outfit in a very compact and lightweight package. The zoom is amazing, and the image stabilisation sensational - 30x/720mm hand held with crisp results. As with most modern cameras, it's over...
Published on 9 May 2011 by Cold War Warrior

3.0 out of 5 stars HS20EXR is not for beginers.
Having previousy owned a Fuji S9500 I wasn't expecting a point and shoot camera and I certainly didn't get one.I've read several reviews from HS20 owners worldwide and what the vast majority said was quite true, it doesn't work out of the box, the default settings need to be adjusted, the firmware usually needs to be updated(even this is beyond the average user),so if you...
Published on 10 Sep 2011 by jabba cheadle

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My Finepix HS20 Manual mode, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR Digital Camera - (16MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD (Electronics)
Now in my sixties and a full time carer,I don't get out that much and tend to spend a lot of time in my garden.
I started to watch the wildlife,more and more,over the last year, and the more I watched them, the more I was fascinated by them.
I thought If I get a nice camera, then I could capture some of their antics,and give myself a hobby at the same time.
I've had a random mixture of point and shoots in the past, but wanted something a little better,this time something I could learn with and not just press a button and hope for the best.
When I saw the HS20, the idea of the manual 30x zoom , the 11/fps and 16mp tempted me,and ticked all the boxes. So ignoring all the negative reviews on the forums, I bought one in July.

I've had my HS20 for about 4 months now and I have to say 'at first' I was not over impressed with it,but after trying all the various settings, and ready to accept it as just average ,I discovered the manual mode,and it was 'wow!!' one of those 'eureka moments'. now I could get the camera to see what I see, and not just some 'exposure compromise', like the camera sees when left in auto mode.
Ever since then I love this camera.luckily I've had none of the problems with overheating that some have had, and the focusing is just fine to me (wish it was quicker sometimes,but what can you do).
I think the 30x barrel zoom is just so powerful and versatile, and I've had some great images even at full zoom.
Take a look at my Flickr page -

[...]

If you have this camera or are thinking about buying one,believe me, take your time to get to know all the settings,(It's not a point and shoot it's a bridge camera)
And If possible learn manual mode,it's so worth the effort,then you like me will be overjoyed with this camera.

Tonysturn

5.0 out of 5 stars Living up to expectations, 3 Oct 2011
P. Wines (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been using a Finepix S5800 for a few yerars now, for photographing wildlife, mainly snakes & lizards. I wanted a camera with a more effective zoom so I could get better close up shots.

Have I acheived what I wanted? yes.

The HS20 is definately more challenging to use with a lot more manual options, but still easily useable on full auto mode. But like me, if you want the opportunity to play and learn through experimentation then go for it. A great benefit with this camera is the manual zoom. You can keep the zoom extended, turn the camera off to save the battery, then when turned back on the zoom is ready. I am also very impressed with the ability to take several shots per second. The camera is much heavier than my previous one but seems well built.

Overall great quality, great results so far, really like the moveable screen, the cat/dog recognition software actually works and is great fun. I now just need to wait until the Adders come out of hibernation again!

The only negative is the FinePix software that kicked in every time something was plugged into the computer, so that has been removed.

Next day delivery and service from Amazon was immaculate as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars HS20, 13 Oct 2011
I have had this camera for about half a year now and not once has it let me down. it is great for all types of photographer, i specialise in birds and every picture is up the with the standerds of a 10,000 pound SLR. if you are a photographer this camera has settings for: sport, night, people, cat&dog recognition, nature, macro and supermacro etc it is a pefect camera for anyone (i would reccomend wildlife photographers though).
One tip if your looking for a camera.... BUY THE HS20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it !!, 14 April 2011
I've had mine for 10 days now and I just love it. It's perfect for my needs, great wide angle which is a few mm more than most. Love the tilting screen for low down shots and the electronic spirit level is a great idea. Only negatives I can see are 1) the EVF which is not the clearest and very juddery but aren't all EVF's, and 2) the likely cost of the external flash units which will probably be 150+ when they are released....thats a lot for a bridge camera flash. Lens hood is included which is a nice bonus. I've got quite large hands but it sits nicely, with all the controls within easy reach & there is still a nice empty space for my thumb to rest without pressing something I didn't want. EXR mode is great and I love the large manual zoom ring. The manual focus ring is a tad to close to the main body but I don't think the sort of people who buy non-SLR's would use this much anyway. All in a great camera for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced point-and-shoot. No full dSLR., 18 Nov 2011
The HS20EXR is a very nice camera. It works really straight forward. As a point-and-shoot camera it delivers very nice pictures. As a digital SLR camera there are some compromises.

The sensor of the HS20EXR is small, relative to its pixels. To achieve the best image quality, one should shoot at 8MP instead of the full 16MP (to avoid noise).
The camera can store in RAW, notive however, that processing time increases. Even with a fast SDHC card, the camera needs a second or two to store the images in RAW.
The aperture range is quite limited (F2.8-F8 at 24mm or F5.6-F8 at 720mm). Achieving a shallow 'depth-of-field' is difficult. However, in the PRO-FOCUS mode, one could still achieve nice portraits with out of focus (blur) backgrounds.
Exposure metering is only available in 'M' (full manual) mode. In 'S' (shutter priority) or 'A' (aperture priority) mode you cannot see how far you are off in case of under (or over) exposure.

To enjoy the full zoom range of the HS20EXR, I strongly advice to use a tripod.

Whenever you are not expecting a bargain SLR camera, but would like to enjoy photography without spending hundreds of pounds the HS20EXR is a nice way to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted!, 11 Jun 2011
When my Finepix S9500 started acting up, I went looking for a replacement. Having considered a DSLR but finding them just too expensive, I went back to a "bridge" camera. I looked at everything but settled on this. Cons Yes the viewfinder is a little small and the zoom is a bit stiff but otherwise it does exactly what it says on the box! How does it know you're pointing it at greenery or landscape. Isn't technology awesome?

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bridge Camera, 18 Aug 2011
I have been considering a new camera for the past four months. I have trawled through hundreds of forum's, reviews and sample images; even tested them out in the shop. Regardless of some of the mixed reviews I decided to go for the HS20EXR.

Please remember 3 things:

1. Firstly, remember when purchasing this camera, it looks and feels like a D-SLR but - IT IS NOT A D-SLR!! And the image quality will NOT compare with a D-SLR.

Many reviews I have read make this comparison and never explore the wonders of EXR mode. As a Bridge camera, which the HS20EXR is; I think it is the best on the market. I highly recommend it.

2. You must also remember that a camera is a personal choice and people want different things out of theirs. My advice is to go into a camera shop and try before you buy.

3. The Megapixel is a marketing gimmick - The majority of us do not need more than 8 MP. I blow my images up to 60 x 40 cm; 6MP is more than sufficient for this.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars, is the AUTO ISO and Resolution. The AUTO ISO tends to set a little too high and in the Scene Modes / EXR AUTO mode - This is probably a personal preference.

Secondly, the well documented image quality at full 16 MP resolution. The sensor is too small to handle 16 MP - This marketing gimmick just annoys me. However, by setting the image size to M (8 MP) you will be flying.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a reliable bridge camera that will be a good step towards a D-SLR, then this is your camera. If you just want a point and shoot camera and not interesting in learning a little about photography then go a compact camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bridge too Far? not at all, brilliant!, 23 May 2011
Had this camera a few days now and just getting to grips with some of the operational peculiarities.

Reading the manual is a must but I have to say as an ex technical writer it leaves a lot to be desired!

I bought this camera mainly for its extended zoom characteristics and have found no problem either with the zoom mechanics or indeed the manual focus, a nice touch being the focus lock.

I also bought the Raynox 2.2x pro teleconverter which does exactly what it says on the tin! great for wildlife when you have mastered focus operation etc (tripod a must!)

I had to upgrade the firmware to ver 1.02 (which was very easy to do)although I never experienced the overheating symbol at the old version.

I can thoroughly recommend this camera.

I don't like the EVF but it serves the purpose well enough, considering the cost of this camera I believe it to be a bargain.

Just contacted fuji, selecting "C" on mode dial shows "P" on display, they are looking into this, may be a reason that is not obvious (same on HS10 apparently!)

Also in "A" mode apertures smaller than F8 not available (ie Manual says up to F11!) fuji says this is the design, F11 can be obtained in "M" manual mode.

One last observation (so Far!) my camera "locked" up trying to erase multiple unwanted frames and I had to remove the batteries to power down! tried since and could not replicate this glitch (neither could fuji!)

Don't let the above points put you off, this is still one hell of a camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value bridge camera, 27 Jun 2011
Mr. P. J. B. OXALL (west sussex England) - See all my reviews
I have had previous Fuji Finepix cameras and decided to upgrade to the HS 20
This has been probably the best idea i have ever had.
It is an amazing camera and is very easy to use and the quality of the pictures you can take in it's mutitude of modes is quite incredible.
It may not be a full DSLR but it comes very close and the range of the lens is superb.
From taking very close pictures of flowers and insects to distant objects, the image quality is fantastic.
I can see me using this camera for many years to come keeping a photo record of our grandsons and daughters as they grow.
And recording big events both in still and video HD all with this one camera.
I am passionate about motorsport and this camera enables me to get the best of the event's in both formats and to show my competing friends where they were good and bad.
It also allows me to take pictures that i otherwise would have missed.
Printing these pictures is a great experience as the 16MP images allow me to pick areas and enlarge them without loosing clarity.
All in all i have to say my best purchase ever.
Probably the best value bridge camera available today.
Obviously it is not a DSLR but i think it is as close as you are going to get without spending a fortune.
Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR Digital Camera - (16MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars More SLR than an SLR!, 29 Dec 2011
Amazon Addict (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The unbelievable zoom on this camera and yawning wide-angle make this a true single-lens camera -you never need another lens -even if you could change it. The HS20 is a pinnacle of achievement and exemplifies the whole point of bridge cameras. It has, and does, just about everything that anyone could ever want from a camera

There are already enough reviews here detailing the technical details of the HS20, and the manufacturer's blurb here on Amazon is pretty complete too. I will not focus on these then but more on my feelings, observations and experience with the camera.

I can echo all the positive reviews and am completely happy with this camera. I bought it to succeed my trusty Finepix S100 and it is very worthy. Everything is massively improved (I realise there are by now at least 3 upgrades between the two) and the speed of booting up, focussing (also its accuracy) and the range of settings is vastly better all round. I did have some irritations over speed and accuracy with the S100 which do not figure with this camera.

The display is lovely and bright, and I am pleasantly surpised to discover how much I like the automatic sensing of face proximity which switches the display off and the viewfinder on. It was very handy on recording on video a Christmas Day swim on my local beach -I am not tall, so often had to hold the camera overhead (the tilting screen came into its own here) and quickly take a shot through the viewfinder at other times. The switching was a boon. The video quality and sound recording is excellent too.

Stills picture quality is second to none and I am simply very very happy with all the results so far. The EXR feature is a fascinating tool and will transform my low-light photography of a show group I work with. I am looking forward to the first time I can use this and not have to worry about blurring as I have done. I have bought a remote release PowerPlanet compatible Fujifilm RR-80 remote cord for FUJIFILM FinePix HS20EXR, HS22EXR, S20 Pro, S100FS, S200EXR, S9000, S9100, S9500, S9600, IS-1 - UK DELIVERY INCLUDED which works brilliantly with the camera. This, together with EXR and a tripod should now mean crystal-clear shots.

Inside I use a SanDisk 16MB card with fantastic results. Can't recommend this card highly enough -see my review at SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card (16GB,45Mbps) and the excellent Sanyo eneloop rechargeables -see Sanyo eneloop XX (HR-3UWX-8BP) 8 pcs. batteries AA / Mignon with 2500 mAh.

Outside, the HS20 is a featherweight in the hand, smooth and warm to touch with a lovely tactile finish on the hand grip area of the body, and the zoom barrel. The controls are well placed for easy reach and there is a reassuring but not overdone number of buttons, reducing the need to constantly burrow into electronic menus.

One very happy HS20 owner! I will add more to this review as time passes. Watch this space.

Very highly recommended.

Retrospective update, January 2012:

In my original review I praised up the software supplied (Finepix Studio) and have edited to remove the praise as it was -although I do still like the software, and it does all I want, there may be a defect with the version supplied, which I have seen evidence of on forums on the Finepix website. This is that immediately after installation, the software checks for updates, then loads an update and asks to restart Finepix Studio to install it.

This I did. I then got a message saying that it will not install without administrator rights. I then closed down, right-clicked (I'm using Windows Vista) on the program icon in Programs to Run as Administrator. It made no difference, and the loop of searching for, finding, downloading, and attempting to install the update went on endlessly.

I found no answer on the Web. I was then lucky enough to find an older version (v 1.0, the original) of Finepix Studio but first had to uninstall the Finepix I had installed -that itself required an artillery-like uninstaller program to completely remove all traces of it from the Registry and everywhere so I could then install v1.0.

After all this, I am pleased to report that Finepix Studio v1.0 has installed and updated itself to the latest version completely flawlessly and is behaving very well!

I have not altered my star rating of the camera as this is an incidental problem, the camera remains first-class, and many people will be using other more creative software in any case. Finepix studio is fine for me, but be warned about this idiosyncrasy.

UPDATE FEBRUARY 2012

I have taken some quite amazing and stunning photos with this camera. The Panoramic function has excelled itself in reproducing some beautiful vistas, and both the zoom and the EXR features have blown me away with their capabilities, especially the EXR in blur- and white noise-free low light photography.

The software however has proved a headache after all -the software has reverted to failing to update itself and most latterly failing to connect to the camera. I have wasted some time fiddling around trying to make it work and I have to admit that I will be jumping ship to another photo software package. This, to my disappointment, fits with a number of other reviews -I stand corrected.

As far as the camera goes -this is without doubt the best and most versatile camera I have owned in 40 years of amateur messing about with photography. Don't be put off by the software -that's changeable. This hardware though is priceless!

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›