5.0 out of 5 stars HS20 Top of the range Bridge camera
Published on 7 Sep 2011 by M J Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars HS20EXR is not for beginers.
Having previousy owned a Fuji S9500 I wasn't expecting a point and shoot camera and I certainly didn't get one.I've read several reviews from HS20 owners worldwide and what the vast majority said was quite true, it doesn't work out of the box, the default settings need to be adjusted, the firmware usually needs to be updated(even this is beyond the average user),so if you...
Published on 10 Sep 2011 by jabba cheadle

5.0 out of 5 stars HS20 Top of the range Bridge camera, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix HS-20 Digital Camera - (16MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
The HS20 is my third Fuji bridge camera; all perform excellently and offer good value for money doing what they claim in the specifications. The HS20 was tempting as I have an excellent Alpha DSLR that is used when I don't mind carrying a kit of parts! The HS20 is a compromise in being a complete lens package and offering the sorts of facilities and choices that a photographer wants. In particular for me the ability to adjust the viewfinder dioptre as a spectacle wearer was essential. Generally I want to look through the viewfinder (electronic on a bridge) and not at the back so the live modes of DLSRs and the HS20 was not so vital and the viewfinder really does offer good ability in all lights (however the HS20 screen is good in bright light).
Batteries are AA size times four and the Sanyo EneloopSanyo Eneloop AA 4 Pack Batteries (HR-3UTGA) - rechargeable up to 1500 times rechargeable type are unmatchable and provide an excellent long usage but most importantly hold their charge endlessly. Higher capacity standard rechargeable do not match these! Put an 8/16Gb fast SD card and you have a cavernous potential and with this camera you really do just keep shooting and then delete lesser artistic works. It has a large CMOS sensor so grabs the light of a larger image from the lens but at the ridiculously high ISO level options can be noisy.
The camera is heavier than its predecessor but of course the functions and performance are many magnitudes superior. The first great win is that it has a manual zoom which is just so much easier particularly if you are used to DLSRs and you also have the option of manual focus which again can be a bonus for some situations. Automatic focus is very fast however and options abound! The multi-shot capability is amazing so that during action sequences you can just press the shutter and inevitably catch some key action required. You could take HD movies but this is not a function that I would normally use but have tested it and it does what it says very well and sound is adequate but not good as to be expected from inbuilt microphones etc. It has functionalities of some pocket cameras with face/smile recognition etc but this is certainly not its strength say compared to Lumix G range; you choose this for its lens and speed.
You have many modes and shapes for image size (inc video) but I usually want the standard format close to 35mm. I see 2 times converters are available but goodness knows what you would shoot at 60 times and also fish eye adapters or macro extensions. The lens is so good and well matches it would seem silly! The macro mode is astonishing. How do they do 24mm to 720mm so well!
The options ranging from automatic to manual and simplicity of the menus and buttons is very good. Difficult to beat its own intelligent mode but the fun is usually in playing and doing things differently. It does appear to shoot very well in low light conditions even with significant zoom. The multiple anti-shake technologies just seem to do excellent work. The 30 times lens is just amazing and even without a tripod you get excellent pictures in reasonable light and with tripod and adjusted ISO settings everything is possible. The ISO options are really great and match the lens demands very well.
If an amateur who is keen to do difficult things without any understanding this is the camera for you; if wanting to play with functions and settings then this is still the camera for you! I really think the Sony Alpha will come out much less unless doing set piece photography such as weddings etc. However the HS20 will remain nearby!
The flash is adequate for the home party situation but you have the ability to connect an external more powerful flash from Fuji dedicated or third party flash triggered devices.

In summary excellent value if you want a lot of functionality in a modest package so that in any situation you can get a good shot. Picture quality really high; weight/size very practical for most requirements; suitable for semi-professional and outright amateur (if you leave it on auto). Good rear display for quick delete decisions or those addicted to live mode/compact type photography. Ideal for everything but particularly wildlife/sport with the zoom potential and speed of reaction. Manual zoom is just so much better and of course battery efficient. Nice to hold and use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased.., 9 May 2011
I've had this camera a couple of weeks now and used it for portrait work, landscapes and down a tin mine. It's done virtually all Fuji promises, and is a remarkably versatile outfit in a very compact and lightweight package. The zoom is amazing, and the image stabilisation sensational - 30x/720mm hand held with crisp results. As with most modern cameras, it's over featured - dog and cat recognition?! but you don't have to use it all,and some of the features are superb. Yes, RAW buffering is slow, but I don't use it, if I wanted RAW, I'd use my Canon DSLR. Only experimented with the video so far, quality appears excellent, although there was a bit of hunting with the focus, I probably need to practice. So why not the full five stars? Firstly the AA battery power; I would far prefer a LiOn battery, the Uniross battery for my Canon just goes on, and on, and on. Much more convenient than the several sets of rechargeable batteries I use now; why can't we have the best of both worlds - a battery compartment that takes AA in an emergency, but also designed to take a single LiOn unit? Secondly, the CD based manual - why not a proper, conventional camera manual? After all, we are paying enough for the camera in the first place, so why skimp on the manual? Overall though, a very impressive camera I can recommend virtually without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the BEST, 14 Nov 2011
First things first: BUY THIS CAMERA!

I don't want to be a pro photographer. I can't be bothered learning all the manual settings on cameras...but I do want the best pictures possible without the work :-)

I've owned many smaller point and shoot cameras and have had reasonable pictures. My brother in law has an SLR with a bag full of lenses which creates amazing pictures. This camera however is as good in my opinion.

The zoom is incredible! I use it in the EXR and AUTO setting 'all the time' and the camera does all the figuring out of the lighting etc and the results constantly amaze myself and my family. I don't need a bag of lenses as the one attached is outstanding thus saving on money, weight and space.

Please watch this video review to see for yourself how incredible this camera is:
[...]

I've uploaded some pics from a recent Canada holiday in the customer pics section at the top of the page, which I have made into a photobook using vistaprint and its just outstanding!

I have a Sony HD camcorder so I don't bother with the video side of the HS20. The quality (HS20) is great but it can be slow to focus if you're zooming in and out. I bought the HS20 purely for great pictures.

If you want SLR results and quality without the expense and learning curve and want a very well built camera with masses of features then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fuji HS20 - the best ever bridge camera?, 18 Nov 2011
I bought this remarkable camera after much research which conclusively proved that, in its class, it was top dog. There are now many on-line technical reviews from the PC and camera magazines (for example see [...]), and they all say much the same thing. This is a very highly specified bridge camera with many Digital SLR-type facilities and a huge non-interchangeable zoom lens - 24mm to 720mm in 35mm terms. It all works superbly, except for the general performance of the lens, which is necessarily a compromise and is nowhere near as good as several shorter but pricier DSLR prime lens zooms. However, the image quality is certainly not that bad if you are only going to save the files as compressed JPEGs, and amazingly it is far superior to it's much more expensive Nikon and Canon etc equivalents. The spec is twice as good and although the zoom ranges may be comparable, the lens resolution of the Fuji is sharper. Fuji don't do digital SLRs and it shows just how well they have spent the money in developing the HS20. Unlike earlier Fuji compact superzooms, the HS20 is as big (and as heavy) and so as easy to hold as a DSLR, with it's moveable 3" LCD screen and hand grip for 4 x AA batteries. The advanced sensor captures 16MP, but since the theoretical limit for any CCD is only about 10MPs, like all other digital cameras, the Fuji actually gives better results at 8MPs. (It's true, see Nikon, Sony, Canon, Panasonic - look it up!)

Likes:

manual zoom ring - much more precise than a spring-loaded lever.
ability to save images as RAW files - basic data files containing 100% digital information before converting to eg bitmaps, TIFFs, JPEGs etc.
360 degree panorama - seamlessly stiches together a string of still pictures.
AA batteries - no need to put up with the proprietary Li-Ion battery when it dies on you, just drop in four more AAs and carry on. (Duracell and Uniross 'stay charged' rechargeable hybrids are best at present.)
image stabilisation - all the different modes work perfectly - even at full zoom setting. A remarkable achievement.
full 1080 HD movies - now easily as good as a decent camcorder.
58mm filter ring - at last - and flash hotshoe.

Dislikes:

too many buttons on the back which have different functions depending on the mode slected. Several evenings with the instructions manual are needed.
protruding video button - too easy to press accidentally and find you are suddenly shooting a movie.
the all purpose EXR CMOS does everything anyone could ever want in a camera and does give perfect results every time, but this overlaps with the Auto settings and dozens of scene modes - all getting a bit too much!
flimsy battery cover, coarse eyelevel viewfinder.

So, more specifications than you can shake a stick at, and likely to be around for a while in one form or another before anyone makes a significantly better bridge superzoom. The huge lens is spectacular, but performance at extremes is only 'very good', not 'outstanding'. If you can't afford or justify a full blown digital SLR with several extra lenses, this is the camera to get. By any standards it's currently streets ahead of the pricier opposition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget The Criticism, 28 Aug 2011
I am a DSLR (D700 and D90) user who has been looking for a bridge camera that is small enough to be carry around but doesn't disappoint in the image quality and useability stakes. I have just taken this camera on a Baltic cruise and used it in all sorts of situations. The performance and flexibility over all is fantastic given the size. The manual zoom was perfectly smooth on my camera and so much more useable than the FZ38 which I also own (for the moment). The image quality and low light performance really does come close to DSLR levels and you have to look carefully to tell the difference. People who criticize the noise just don't understand the point of EXR which needs pixel headroom. If you use this camera on max resolution at higher ISO you will get noise. However who needs 16mp. It is there for ISO 100/200 in good light but if you want higher ISO use the EXR mode or turn down the resolution.

On the downside I do agree with the focus hunting problems with video. The view finder is course electronic and the focus is never going to be as fast as a good DSLR.

Overall this camera offers fantastic bang for buck when you consider it costs a lot less than even a decent super zoom lens for a DSLR. Next time I go away this is the only camera I will take.

5.0 out of 5 stars hs20exr best superzoom/bridge camera, 10 May 2011
Fantastic Camera. It is as simple to use, or if you prefer as complicated as you want it to be with full manual control. The exr mode is second to none even taking night shots on auto without streaming lights or blurring. I've read some reviews that say the image stabalizer is not up to scratch, but when I did a six second, yes 6" exposure potrait in full manual I got only a slightly under par picture, yes it was blurred but amazing considering the exposure time. Not that you need it, but even with a cheap tele converter (2.5*), it had no problem auto focusing with shutter button half pressed. Only major problem I had was the false overheating reading which was fixed with a difficult to install, readily available firmware update from fuji. Sugest anyone buying the camera get the version with firmware 1:02 installed to save the hassle of the firmware update. I have found the evf quality really very good despite what critics have reported, apart from a time delay between real time and actual time, I resolved this problem easily by switching the evf from 30 fps to 50 fps, and inserting a fresh pair of batteries (problem only seems to occur when batteried are low). All in all, once you have masterd its capabilities, or stuck to 8mp exr mode, this is the best bridge camera on the market, giving most small budget slr kits (that only come with a standard lense or at max a 300mm lense for almost double the price) a run for there money. If like me you would like a dslr but cant afford the lenses (its well worth researching lense prices), this is the perfect bit of kit even outperforming basic dslr cameras in some of it's auto modes.
Most bad reviews, though not all, are comparing this camera against cameras that punch far above the £[..] price tag of this model, and dont forget you get 24mm-720mm equivalent manual zoom lense, try just buying the lenses that cover this range. Highly recomended, Its a compliment to fuji that this camera is being compared to dslr's, as much as to other superzoomsFujifilm FinePix HS20EXR Digital Camera - (16MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD. By the way wih a little practice the super macro is stunning: I have a photo of a butterfly and when you zoom in you can see every lense and all the hairs which are not visable to the naked eye, You can even see individual cells on the wings!

4.0 out of 5 stars FUJI HS20EXR, 22 May 2011
I've only had this camera for about 3 weeks and am still learning how to get the best from it. I bought it because I was fed up with carting my Nikon D60 and spare lens and always having the wrong lens fitted! Having seen a very positive review on a web site called Safari-Guide I took the plunge and ordered the HS20EXR.
Initial reaction was dissappointment, as I couldn't get it to focus on birds on the feeders in my garden, but after a couple of trips out I got some stunning pictures of more general subjects. This prompted a bit of experimentation and reading of the, pretty basic, manual. Focusing is still a bit of an issue, the auto-focus system isn't as good as the Nikon and can be fooled by busy backgrounds, but with a bit of practise this can be overcome using focus lock. For use on the tripod taking birds on the feeders I am now using manual focus. The tilting screen and focus magnification feature look like producing some good results, although the birds are being a bit elusive at the moment - when I'm here they're not! Provided you can fill a substantial portion of the frame with your main subject, the auto-focus system woks well enough.
One thing that has surprised me is how good hand-held shots can be at full zoom. In the past I wouldn't have considered hand-holding at focal lengths over about 200mm, but I've got a couple of stunning pictures of a sparrow hand held at the full 720mm equivalent focal length, with no blurring and lots of fine detail of feathers etc.
All in all I'm very impressed with the camera and well-pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars My thrid Fuji - all excellent, 27 Jan 2012
CjW "chris" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I wrote a long spiel - it never got published, so I'm not going to reapeat it.

I've had three Fuji cameras - all top of range and all reliable.

If you want to lug a bag full of heavy bodies and lenses around - go ahead. I've done it professionally and now retired my aching back loves the one camera does it all function of the Fuji bridge camera. (Trust me - I was a professional international news photojournalist)

I've taken butterflies in close up, landscapes, action shots and I've had some stunners.
I publish on Google earth and Picasa for fun - and gets lots of hits and star ratings.

I recommend Lithium AA batteries, they may cost a bit more - but they run a camera dramatically longer.

Enjoy your camera, I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huji HS20EXR, 31 Oct 2011
Brad Carter - See all my reviews
Update: 7 Feb 2012:

The recent snow has given me an ooprotunity to test the auto features in what can be more trying circumstances than normal. Superb result and correct exposure - even with some shots taken trough double glazed windows (too cold at minus 4C to go outside at one point).

In mid-January I took a mixture of shots, including panoramas, at a stage show rehearsal. The lighting was not at show level output but the resultant shots, without flash, were still acceptable and received very favourable comment when placed on my website for the show. I also shot a short sequence of HD video using this camera and am pleased with picture and sound quality. One suggestion I would make for action shot video is do not use the video spot metering setting, which causes 'hunting'. Otherwise more than useable as a HD video camera.

The robustness of the camera is fine so far, though who knows what wear and tear over years might do

22 December 2011 - I am updating the review below as I have been able to use all the facilities available on this camera.

First thing I should say is that there are lots of functions to the camera that many may never use - but they are there if you need them. Secondly, it does take a little time and perseverance to become faimliar with the functions and then you can decide which of those you would like to use for the type of photography you wish to indulge in normally.

I have taken a wide range of photos, including using all the panoramic options, and am impressed by the quality of images overall. A little practice should improve anyones use of the camera. I took a series of night sky photos which included the Moon and also Jupiter (images taken include the four major moons) and, although it did take some trial and error shots, am more than pleased with the final shots. I had to experiment with aperture settings to get the right shots, but that is no different to using even a top of the range digital SLR.

I have tried to find negative comment to make and have found one: my old Canon flashgun will not work with this camera. Okay, I am not too bothered about that as it is getting to be rather old and is due to be replaced when finances are avaialble to justify purchasing a new unit, but then I don't do a lot of flash gun photography these days, just mainly natural light (whatever it may be).

I would recommend this camera to anyone who wishes to have a wide range short/long lens and with totally automatic or manual control. I do not suggest this is the best camera in the world, though I would say it probably ranks as one of the best value for money cameras

Previous review:
I have now had this camera for 16 days and can keep the review short by simply saying it is superb.

That may seem a little too short for someone who may be expecting an in depth appraisal, though I feel enough has been posted already, both positive and negative comments, so don't wish to repeat those. I have owned a number of bridge cameras over the years, mostly Fuji, plus I still own a Canon 300D digital SLR with a couple of lenses and ancillary equipment. I am pleased to say that the HS20EXR meets all my requirements for still photography and still some facilities to spare. I have not found it difficult to understand all the facilities available, although I haven't used them all to the full yet. I am sure the opportunities to do so will be presented to me over time.

So far I am very pleased with picture quality in the varied conditions I have used the camera and admit that it does take a little time to get used to the options available. If the complexity of the options is something that is off-putting for some then the simple expediency of leaving in EXR mode should be more than adequate for most situations.

I note some posters have had quality problems with the cameras they received and can only put this down to the 'Friday afternoon production syndrome' and just bad luck. I have had more than my share of those type products over the years so sympathise, however this is a camera well worth persevering with and getting a replacement.

The lack of a paper manual is something I have got used to, particularly with IT products. I don't like it but accept the ecological reasons for not producing a paper consuming item - the on CD manual is 120 pages. At least the manual is on the CD in the package, unlike my recently upgraded mobile phone, for which I had to find it online (and not easily).

I have already given a comment on one query concerning this camera so, for the purposes of clarity for anyone uncertain of what this camera is, I repeat that this is not a digital SLR, it is a digital bridge camera (no direct optical viewing through the lens, just an electronic eyeiece or LCD screen) but don't let that fool you into believing this is inferior in any way. It is in some ways much superior to a mid-range digital SLR and even some high range ones.

I have no hesitation in recommending this camera - only time and usage will tell how robust the camera is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for Studio Work and Nature - Not for Sports, 18 Oct 2011
I have been using digital cameras since they came out; I use my cameras mainly for studio work and photographing my family. I use Nikon D7000 and Nikon D60 every day, they both are advanced DSLRs and good enough for magazine work. The main reason for buying Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR was that DSLR are expensive and I wanted to have a camera which has a big zoom without changing lenses all the time.
To test it I took 3 exactly same photographs in few different situations, one with each camera. Fujifilm FinePix HS20 does so much better photographs that the only comparison I have it's like the Nikons were VHS and the Fujifilm being Bluray.
The biggest difference is with low light situations; leave the camera in the EXR mode and the only competition I can think of is the Hasselblad in hands of a pro.
But it is only better then DSLRs for studio, portrait or nature photography. For sports its focus it's too slow. It takes twice as much longer then Nikons to focus on an object. However, once it will do that the picture is sharper then Nikons.
In my opinion, this camera could be sold for professional studio work for twenty times its current price. Colour reproduction, Adobe RGB and overall functionality is great.
I'm going to do more practical testing as I'm tempted to sell both Nikons on Ebay, and use HS20 for work.
If you are amateur photographer the time has come, bridge cameras are getting better than dslr.