5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely camera
I have been using the camera over the last few days now and getting to grips with it. So far it is really easy to use; the menus are very user friendly and straight forward. I was really surprised too at how light the camera was - I did expect it to feel really heavy but it's fairly compact for the specs that it has!!

The picture quality so far has been really...
Published on 14 April 2011 by Oceanauk

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but problem with picture quality at 100%
Published on 5 Sep 2011 by Dipper

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely camera, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix S4000HD Digital Camera - (14MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

The picture quality so far has been really crisp and the zoom is fantastic - again with very crisp, clear photos using the inbuilt image stabiliser.

I took a picture of the moon just holding the camera, at full zoom and the result was astounding - I could see all the craters of the moon really clearly - there was no fuzz (noise at all.

You have the option of using the camera's inbuilt scene selection or adjusting the settings manually - great if you have more knowledge about photography.

The flash has a manual release button - meaning that if a flash is required in low light it would not automatically pop up - so you need to use your own judgement.

The panoramic feature is fantastic - it automatically puts 3 shots together - you just follow on the on-screen instructions!!

The video quality is HD if you so require or you can adjust to a lower setting - and one con of the camera is here: the lens being used to zoom during recording is quite noisy.

One amazing feature too of the camera is the viewfinder - being able to switch to that instead of using the LED screen on the back is really handy - it's very clear to see through.

The batteries don't seem to last too long - after one day I was getting the low battery warning - however, having said that, I have turned off the camera and re-used it on subsequent days and it seems to be going still off the same batteries!! AA batteries can be bought from places like 99p shops in bulk - so are not neccessarily an expense - and it means you're not worried about a LiOn battery running out.

Overall I'm really impressed with the camera - so far my favourite feature has to be the absolutely incredible 'super macro' feature - it really is amazing! I have taken pictures of aphids on rose stems in crystal clear clarity!

If you're looking for a fair priced camera with a whopping zoom and ease of use - then this really is for you - it's no DSLR but if you can live without absolute perfection then I would highly recommend this camera.

Enjoy!!

Jackie

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera & simple to use, 28 May 2011
I deliberated long and hard before I purchased this camera. I did try out one of the earlier versions but found that the macro was terrible in anything other than perfect light. As this is what I really needed the camera for, I was slightly worried that I would be dissapointed with this - but the reviews generally seemed promising.

I've now used it on several occasions and have found it a dream to use. Nice and easy to understand and you don't really need to read the instructions. The macro options are great! You get lots for your money here and I'm so pleased that I did not go and spend more. It's not too big and so its nice to take out and not feel that you are carrying a brick with you. I love the option to view through the eye piece or the LCD screen - it;s extremely useful to have both options.

I've not had any problems with the automatic focus and all images have come out nice a crisp. The smile detection surprised me in that it worked! I was not expecting that, but you do need to make sure that you have good light for this.

I have not given it 5 stars - because of the problems with the software. I put the software onto my computer and had so many problems with it that I took it off (which itself was not easy) and just used Windows for downloading. It really was not worth the trouble. All in all, the camera is great - but the software is problematic, but still a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great camera, 10 Jun 2011
I'm no David Bailey and have been used to using sub £120 point and click cameras and thought it was about time to get something better and improve my photography skills.
I read 100s of reviews and eventually decided to go for this one.
I've had it a few days and I can honestly say this camera has blown me away.
Loads of features, the manual is easy to understand, the zoom is fantastic, macro fantastic. The quality of my pictures has improved no end.
I can't beleive the crispness and clarity of some of the super macro shots I've taken.
I haven't done much with the video side of things yet but a test run produced a great vid.
Panoramic facility - brilliant.
I'm sure more experianced camera users will find some cons but for the likes of me I recommend it 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good bridge camera - with an excellent zoom, 14 Nov 2011
Iain S. Palin (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
If your digital camera preference is for bridge models, with their chunky handgrip and eye-level viewfinder, then this may well be the machine for you.
It has all the strengths of the brand in terms of specifications and performance (i.e. very good all round) and of value for money, but what makes it the best is the powerful zoom, and the fact that it works so well. The optical zoom lens range is to 30x - for those of us who still think in 35 mm camera terms, that's equivalent to a zoom going from about 24 mm to over 700 mm and all true optical not digital. And it comes with anti-vibration technology to cancel out the effect of normal hand shake at those extreme lengths. Having taken it on holiday and put it through its paces I can confirm it works, the ability to pick out clear details on high buildings or far-off scenes is truly impressive. When I was looking at new cameras I was drawn to this model by my previous good experience with the brand, but it was the zoom that decided me and I was not disappointed.
It does have the annoying things that also come with Fujifilms cameras, such as the clunky and obtrusive bundled software for downloading and organising your pictures (I found it easier to uninstall this and just hook the camera to my PC with the USB cable provided and transfer the pictures manually), the rather noisy tracking autofocus in video mode, and the frustration that Fujifilms wouldn't spend a tiny bit more to put a filter thread on the front. Despite these I give the camera five stars and strongly recommend it.
HINT: I had a nervous few minutes when switching the camera on produced and error message and instructions to turn it off then on again, a message that then came up again when I did just that. The handbook said that if this kept happening I should "consult the dealer" (oh dear) however it became clear that the cause of the problem was switching on with the lens cap still in place, take it off fist and there was no message. Some anxiety could have been saved if that point had been made in the handbook. So I share this to spare others the same thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 7 April 2011
Since 2-3 month I was looking for bridge camera with super zoom and I was confusedly between Fujifilm finepix S4000, HS20 and HS10. HS20 is the best in itself, but it is having almost double price then S4000. HS10 is also better but it is having 10 Megapixel. I also went through other brands and I found Olympus SP-800UZ similar to S4000 but it is too small and not more functions like S4000. So after research I decide to buy S4000.

14 MP + 30X zoom + lower price only in S4000.
On 05/04/2011 I received this camera from Amazon and
BOX contains:
4 X AA type alkaline batteries, USB - A/V cable, Shoulder Strap, Lens cap + cord, CD-ROM, Manual (in English)
System requirement: Windows 7, Vista, XP Home, XP Pro, Mac OS X 10.3.9 - 10.6

The qualities of the pictures are crisp and clear. It is also a double macro option for crisp close-ups. camera has many functions. That are automatic and Manual but on most there is an option to customise which is great.
S4000 having following functions:
Zoom Bracketing: Which takes 3 shots of different zoom
Natural & Flash: Camera takes shots one without flash and one with
Natural Light: Capture natural light indoors, under low light
Smile & Shoot: The shutter is released automatically when Face Detection detects a smiling face
Sport: For moving subjects. Faster shutter speed.
Other Functions are Portrait, Baby Mode, Landscape, Night, Night(Tripod), FireWorks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Party, Flower, Text.

It is Having SCENE RECOGNITION AUTO The camera automatically analyzes the composition and selects the appropriate SCENE MODE according to the subjects and shooting conditions which is great.

In Motion Panorama: You have to take only 1 picture and other 2 automatically takes by camera just follow the on screen instruction (just match the + sign on the screen) It ia really great. It is also have PROGRAM AE which camera sets exposure automatically, if you wish you can choose different combinations of shutter speed and aperture.
In Movie Mode there is 3 options
HD 1280 (1280X720p): Clip length 9Min 41Sec
640 (640X480p): Clip length 29Min 5Sec
320 (320X240p): Clip length 61Min 16Sec

I had taken Many pictures and movie, clarity and crispness are fantastic. Even if at fool 30x zoom, clarity of pictures are very nice with full megapixel, there is not any blur at all.

In zoom there is two options, if you select digital zoom then is not noisy at all but if you select optical Zoom then it is bit noisy. If you selct digital zoom for movie mode it is better without any noise.

I have inserted SanDisk Ultra 15MB/s SDHC 8GB class 4 card which is working very good. I have inserted 7dayshop Rechargeable Ni-Mh Batteries - AA Size (2900mAh). Which is works very great.
Overall this is superb camera in this lower price.

Thanks
Regards by REX

5.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm S4000, 26 Jun 2011
Peter (Norfolk,UK) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a camera to slip in your pocket the S4000 is not for you. The S4000 is the size of a small SLR. For the price its amazing value. There are a huge number of facilities. To start with it has a view finder as well as an LCD screen, this is invaluable in bright conditions. Also using the view finder when shooting HD video helps to stabilise the camera. Wide angle through to 30x magnification means all situations are covered without the need for a change of lenses. The panoramic feature is impressive as is the facility to set the camera to detect if someone is not smiling or has blinked. You might argue they are gimmicks but they produce the results. The camera can be used fully automatically or there are options to set aperture, shutter speed or both. The camera menus are straight forward and easy to follow. Before purchasing it is worth downloading the camera manual from the Fuji site it free, the 125 pages cover the whole range and show what the camera is capable of doing.
Finally in video mode if the optical zoom is used the motor noise is picked up on the sound track. Fuji recognise this so what they advise is to set the video zoom to digital. Before pressing the shutter, zoom in with the optical zoom. Now press the shutter to start videoing if the zoom is used it is in digital mode and does not generate any background noise.
I hope this review helps I certainly have no regrets about buying the S4000.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm FinePix S4000, 10 May 2011
Fujifilm FinePix S4000 Digital Camera - (14MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD Neat little camera with plenty of features. For me the main advantage is that it has a "viewfinder" as it's too bright here in Spain to see images on the screen.
Zoom is terrific for such a light camera. It can take pictures of things I can't see with the naked eye.
It's not a DSLR but it does a good job. Good handbook and it's not too demanding on the batteries.
I'm glad I bought it. Very prompt delivery too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pictures and Incredible Zoom!, 4 Oct 2011
Patrick "Pat Cawley" (Thurles, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera about two weeks ago with certain reservations - I had, after all, read some of the negative comments, but thought at the price and the fact that if it didn't produce results I was happy with I could always return it and get my money back. I am delighted I did because for its price it is probably the best camera I have ever bought. The pictures are sharp, colours are great and the 30x zoom simply amazing. I honestly cannot recommend this camera enough and would urge anyone interested to go ahead and buy it - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 20 Sep 2011
I bought this camera for my son who wanted something fairly simple but with the a manual option for when he feels like being a bit adventurous, (He knows little about photography but would like to learn). The picture quality is very good, I use photography in my work in medical physics and own a Canon and Olympus DSLRs. I would find it difficult to distinguish between the results obtained between these cameras and the S4000. The only niggle is the aperture control on the Fuji. You only have a couple of f.stops to choose when in manual mode. I also own a Fuji S5000, an old version but when I use this in manual, its full manual with all the f stops available. the S4000 takes over too much and tries to stop you taking shots that wont turn-out, maybe this is a good thing but when I select manual, I want manual, not some gremlin looking over my shoulder. Its still a great little camera and if you want good sharp pictures and a zoom from 25mm to 750mm(ish) then you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but problem with picture quality at 100%, 5 Sep 2011
This was my first bridge camera having previously just snapped pictures with a point and shoot. My initial impression was very good. It was reasonably light to handle and with plenty of options ranging from fully automatic (with scene recognition) to manual choice of ISO, shutter speed and aperture. The macro facility worked well and for the first time I was able to take decent close up shots. The zoom was very good and even at 30X without a tripod, the image stabiliser worked well. The zoom barrel itself was slightly 'wobbly' when extended but I didn't notice any effect on the image produced.

Image quality on the whole was acceptable when viewed at less than 100%. At 100% (and above) the image took on a very strange painted effect. This effect was most marked when viewing brightly lit leaves, grass, tarmac or concrete. Unfortunately, if you want to make a 100% crop of an image then the picture quality is not good enough to do this. I've viewed images from a similarly priced point and shoot camera which are much better at 100% than this model.

As others have mentioned, the strap didn't give me any confidence and you need to remove the lens cap before switching on. The lens tries to extend as soon as the camera is powered up and the cap stops it.

You can take good pictures with this camera and if you don't need to view them at full size then you will be quite happy. The zoom lens and the ability to manually control camera settings (within limits) will certainly encourage anyone who wants to improve their photographic techniques. If you are expecting a better quality photograph than a point and shoot then you need to choose another model.

Amazon very kindly refunded me and I have ordered an HS20 to replace it. It's a shame about the painted effect produced by the camera. I was almost (but not quite) sorry to send it back.