Liszt: The Complete Piano Music
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£187.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 15 October 2014
I have wanted this for so long that I could hardly believe I finally knuckled down and gifted it to myself. I hesitated on the assumption that complete works of even the foremost composer would necessarily contain some weak pieces that would militate against completism for its own sake, and it has long since been fashionable to assign Liszt a secondary status in relation to such masters as Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, or Wagner; but Howard wonderfully dispatches this nonsense in this box’s accompanying booklet. I have been discovering Liszt anew, savoring works I’d never heard of, and—true—there is some rather pedestrian stuff mixed in, but I cannot stress how wrong it would be, if you love Liszt through his more famous works, to consider this box a waste. You will delight in sumptuous religious and salon music, grand transcriptions, infectious waltzes; not all masterpieces, to be sure, but then you wouldn’t be considering this box if all you wanted was just another “Don Giovanni,” Beethoven 9 or “Art of the Fugue.”

Unfortunately, my treasured box arrived damaged, with the lid nicked on one side, exposing a nasty little tear, so I, more than ever, have to support it when the box is flipped open. I wish Amazon would send me a nice new box, but I honestly cannot be bothered to send the whole thing back just for a virginal box.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It is almost impossible to know where to begin with this magnificent endeavour and phenomenal achievement. So, how about this - I got my box today and I haven't stopped drooling yet.

Everyone involved, from all at Hyperion to the main man himself, Leslie Howard, should be justly proud. There is nothing else quite like it, and why would there be?

And Liszt deserves it. A man of genius, undoubtedly, but also a man of humility, generosity, wide-ranging interests and sentiments - they rarely make 'em like that anymore. If one is staggered at one man recording all this (and one is!), the thought that one man wrote it all beggars belief.

The actual box, in case you are wondering, is splendidly sturdy and rather more attractive than the picture above suggests. The booklet is extremely informative and nicely illustrated, and the original album covers and liner notes are available free via the Hyperion website, which - bearing in mind how cheaply (pound for pound) this is currently retailing at, just about puts the icing on the cake.

If I may be so bold...Hyperion Records, Leslie Howard - the spirit of Franz Liszt salutes you!
on 14 November 2011