Published on 30 May 2011 by Tommy Dooley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Hollywood version!!
Published 19 months ago by Beth

4.0 out of 5 stars 'How long can you live in fear?' - That's the movie tag line., 30 May 2011
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Debt [DVD] (DVD)
This is a sort of re-release of an Israeli film made originally in 2007. It has garnered new attention as it is has been remade in America and will star Helen Mirren. It tells the story of three Mossad agents who in 1964, are sent on a mission to capture `The Surgeon of Birkenau'. He is currently practicing as a gynaecologist in Berlin, and is wanted for monstrous experimental operations on Jews during WWII (that is why there is a big Swastika on the front).

The film starts in 2007 when Gila Almagor as Rachel Brener is publishing her account of their mission and is being lauded as a National heroine for her part in bringing Nazis to justice. However, it is all a whopping big lie. Told in flashback we see what really occurred back in 1964 and how despite capturing `The Surgeon' Max Rainer (Edgar Selge); he manages to play mind games and sow confusion leading to his escape.

They decide that he will now go underground and they may as well say they killed him and got rid of the body. The snag comes when a senile old man in a retirement home in the Ukraine confesses that he is `The Surgeon of Birkenau' and it gets into the papers. The three agents decide it is time to finish what they should have done over forty years ago.

This is a very well acted and scripted piece of cinema, but unless the cover is wrong there must be scenes deleted as on the back there is an exploding Nazi staff car, which I do not recall seeing. Also there is no recreation of Birkenau or flash backs to the war, so the Swastika etc on the front are slightly misleading. This is instead a tense thriller that really does carry you along. It did not get much of an airing on first release, so hopefully, with the renewed interest; it may get the attention it deserves.

In Hebrew with some German and Russian the sub titles are fairly accurate (the German and Russian anyway as my Hebrew is non existent) with a run time of just over 90 minutes, this is one you should see before it gets the Hollywood treatment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting little thriller., 6 Aug 2011
Bobby Smith (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Debt [DVD] (DVD)
An original thriller movie, although with a nod of appreciation towardsThe Odessa File [DVD]. This film works as one can almost feel the tension, as the Israeli agents bicker amongst themselves and with the German war criminal. The plot has many twists and turns and entertains throughout, aided by good, solid acting and a believable script.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Hollywood version!!, 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Debt [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film as I saw the Hollywood version with Helen Mirren and I thought seeing the foreign version would be better (they usually are better than Hollywood films in my opinion). However when I saw this film, I have to say I was disappointed. Yes it is a good film, but the actors in my opinion are no where near as good as the Hollywood ones. Also there are moments in this film that were just unbelievable! I won't spoil it for anyone but I would say if you wish to see this film, I would recommend the Hollywood version!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, thoughtful, but I preferred the re-make., 21 Oct 2013
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Debt [DVD] (DVD)
The basis for the 2010 remake, this is an intelligent and clever spy thriller, with interesting moral overtones.
However, as rarely happens I personally slightly preferred the re-make.

It was some combination of the acting, the writing and the directorial style, but for whatever reason I found myself
both more moved and more chilled by the re-make. To be fair, that could be because I saw the re-make
first, so knew the story, but this isn't really based on shocking twists, so I think the newer film simply
worked better for me. In particular I found Helen Mirren more affecting than her Israeli counterpart, Gila Almagor.

That said, this is still a strong film, and there are a couple of very powerful scenes between the agents and
their Nazi prey that beat out their counterparts in the re-make. Worth seeing if you're into films enough
that seeing two different versions of a good story is fun, not a chore.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Balance, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Debt [DVD] (DVD)
Jewish existence, Jewish values, have ever been threatened and ill be. Yet, the list is long of those who were hate murderers of Jews -on proxy for the Torah- and who have shamefully vanished.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading cover, 7 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Debt [DVD] (DVD)
Just watched this DVD and overall thought it was a good, psychological thriller. There were some tense moments but I agree that I expected the scene on the back cover to be shown with the exploding car. I did find the cover misleading and that is why I give this DVD 3 stars. Excellent acting.

The Debt [DVD]
The Debt [DVD] by Assaf Bernstein (DVD - 2011)
7.18