5.0 out of 5 stars I am a copy editor who uses this book religiously.
I use it as as an authority on grammar, punctuation, and style. This wire-bound, mid-size reference is a gem. It contains almost everything--if not everything--I have ever had to look up. It is concise, making it an easy read. Despite its being concise, Jan Venolia gives thorough, comprehendable explanations of the way words are supposed to be put together...
Published on 28 Sep 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
This book was recommended by an editor on his blog and so I bought it. I needed a definitive guide on the rules of paragraphing dialogue and narrative within dialogue. Regrettably this book doesn't cover that subject at all. If you want a book with all the basics: commas, apostrophes, speech marks etc. then this will do. Anything beyond that, look elsewhere.
Published on 10 Mar 2011 by Scribbler

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a copy editor who uses this book religiously., 28 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This book exemplifies its title.

4.0 out of 5 stars A clear and easy to read guide to writing right!, 5 Sep 2003
Jo (haverhill, suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is jam-packed with tips, rules and common mistakes. It is extremely readable and very precise without being too indepth. It's a great size too; small and neat and can easily be carried around. I keep it in close reach for easy reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without it, 21 Feb 2010
Like the copy editor I'm a writing professional too and I wouldn't want to be without this book, which is a real gem. I had the first edition in the late '80s and have just given it to my daughter, so this will be my second copy. I have stacks of English reference books but always come back to this one because it gives clear and concise explanations and has an excellent structure and index. I find it's all I ever need and I make sure it's never far from my desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee book, 30 Jan 2013
Ian C "IanC" (Glasgow, South Lanarkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ideal for those considering a course in Proof Reading as it helps with some of the English fundamentals that you may have forgotten from school.

4.0 out of 5 stars Write Right Review, 30 Nov 2011
This book is great for anyone that needs to learn English Grammar. It is not dry and boring. It can be, dare I say it - fun! It also good if you wish to broaden your vocabulary and to be listened to with respect without using profanities. The book is full of ideas to budding writers to write descriptively.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 10 Mar 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars it does help a better writing, 31 May 2010
Ginestra Ferraro "ginez" (London) - See all my reviews
Simple and easy way to solve your grammatical and non-grammatical doubts, while providing reasons why.
No need to read it as a novel, it come to help when you need it.