Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.16

on 9 June 2003
I consumed this book in two days !! I just couldn't put it down and to the dismayal of my wife had to "just read one more page". Fascinating, thrilling and gruesome tale of a young sniper going through hell in Vietnam but still being able to maintain his integrity as a human being.
Quite easy too read, and very, very catching. The author presents the story and his experiences in a very non-gung-ho way that makes it very believable and fascinating. Great book !!
0Comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 1999
This book is a MUST for any one looking to delve deep into the Vietnam War without the glitter and nonsense. The author makes the reader see, feel, hear, smell and taste the war. Its easy to read format will appeal to the military history buff and novice, men and women alike. It is a unique book about a unique groop of men, the Marine Corps Scout Snipers. I laughed, I cried, I learned. If you are a Vietnam Veteran you will want extra copies for friends and relatives. Also recommend, In The Crosshairs, by Michael Lee Lanning and A Sniper In The Arizona, by John J. Culbertson.
on 13 December 1998
I was in An Hoa in 1969 and served as a radio operator and forward observer for Kilo Company 3/5. This book really brought back memories and validated things which I have told my family for the last 30 years (Has it really been that long?). Joe Ward has succeeded in accurately representing the role and day to day events of the scout sniper in a combat unit. I have bought several copies for friends and family members. When they ask about Viet Nam, I give them a copy and tell them to read it to really understand. I hope Joe does more work. I really like his style. Thanks for the memories, man!
0Comment33 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 1998
Wonderful book. It's nice to see a book by someone in the special forces that didn't mask the events of the war with arrogance and heroism. Joe told a story about events that transpired during the war not about how awesome he or someone else was. He doesn't brag about his CK's or about single handedly winning the war. He doesn't play the "Rambo" roll he just tells the truth. Other authors have even written about Joe in their books and depict only a sincere appreciation for what he did. The book doesn't appear to have been written to stimulate the testosterone of our youth, like some other books have, but to reveal the amplitude and difficulty behind an art and talent that only a few possess. This book ensights a warrior that undergoes virtually hypnotic hardships to keep his comrades alive, "to obtain the perfect shot, one shot, one kill". With modern technology the way it is today this unsung hero will slowly disappear. It's nice to see that a moment of that history could be captured in an easy to read and enjoyable book. Personaly I'm insulted by the "waterboy....star quarteback", comment made by one of the previous reviews. If anything this auther banked away from that possible conclusion. As a matter of fact I'm inclided to think this guy bears a relation to another author of this format or himself and is hardened by the possible lack of success. No one in their right mind would think this book was written biasly or with an implement of arrogance. It's a great book for anyone with an interest in the Vietnam War or Sniping.
on 6 January 1999
My Husband served in the Air Force in Viet Nam from 1969-1970. He was stationed at a remote air base in a forward area. Joe Ward's book is very accurate and lets the reader see the perspective young men had during this war. I teach a non-fiction literature class for high school kids who are "tough" and don't like to read. I use excerpts from this book to show them what "tough" really is and to hopefully instill respect for other's bravery.
on 26 July 1999
I have just recently started looking into books that recount the Vietnam War experience. I thought the personal insight provided in Wards book really brought you into the war-allowing you to feel the emotions he describes. I don't presume to ever know what it was actually like, but I do think Ward paints a vivid, albeit gruesome, portrait of Vietnam.
on 10 July 2008
having read a few books about the vietnam war. this book is a great read, it makes you want to keep reading until you have finished. the beginning of the book is a bit slow in the marine core training camp, but it gives you an interesting insight. the rest of the book is fantastic, you can almost imagine being there and sniping yourself. the style is also refreshing, you read a letter home to his mom, then he tells the story about what actually happened and you realise all the parts he omitted, and the horrors that no one would be able to send home to their mom in a letter.
so summing up excellent read just buy it, you wont be dissapointed.
on 16 October 2006
All I can say is that since I finished this superb book it has been read by 8 friends, either from my copy or ones they have bought on my recommendation. Cannot recommend enough
on 24 May 1999
It seems that some people have a selfish interest in denigrating a true hero of our generation! It takes guts to do what Joe Ward did. It takes even more guts to bare your soul and share his vision of the Viet Nam war with the rest of us. For those of you who have chosen to castigate a true hero. I have two messages: First, I was there with Joe Ward, and everything he says IS TRUE! Second, Your juvenile attempts to cast aspursions against a true hero, are easily seen through! Just look at the majority of the comments. When I returned from Viet Nam, a little old lady spit on my Dress Greens in the L.A. airport. I regard her actions with more dignity than I regard your puny efforts to spread deceit! People, read the book, It's all true, I know! I have done the research to validate it and as I say...I was there! Billy Lynn Underwood, cpl Kilo company, 3/5 An Hoa
on 26 November 1998
I enjoyed reading this book -- it is a quick, easy page turner. However, I recently read Henderson's book about Carlos Hathcock and came away with a few comparative impressions. First, Henderson's book seems more credible. Second, Henderson's book focuses more on the actual engagement / kills by Hathcock, whereas this book spends more time on Joe's general experiences as a Marine in training and then in Vietnam. Both men, however, are certainly heroes, in my opinion.
If you want an easy read, this is the book for you, but if you want a better idea of what being a sniper during the Vietnam era was really all about, I recommend Henderson's book Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills.