Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 22 February 2011
While perusing reviews on others in this series I came across one person's 2 star observations criticising Book One for a lack of sophistication, or for being insufficiently multifaceted (multidimesional?). Well, I'm just about to start the sixth in the series and have to say that yes; the stories do tend to run along a single path, they don't dive about in time or space too much and (horrors!) sometimes the outcomes can be anticipated. The lead character is sometimes a bit too good to be true - but she is nice and she keeps me thoroughly entertained...

I don't really care if it's not a complex plot - I can read Ian Banks for that - I am just happy to sit down with a relaxing SF book, several books in fact, that are damn good stories and that keep one (well me at least) absorbed from start to finish. Thomas DePrima has in own style that is different and appealing; I have every confidence that Book 6 will be as good as the previous five. Please keep them coming.
on 9 February 2011
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Space Opera, possibly because there has been a tendency recently for each new writer try to make their works radically different. These books prove that it isn't necessary. I've read the first five in short order and enjoyed being immersed in a complete sci fi universe where I'm confident the good guys will stay the good guys and win out in the end. While I appreciate many other types of book I don't always want to have my expectations stretched to the limit and beyond. I don't always want each book to become progressively darker until I'm depressed by the thought of battling through to the end to discover what happens next. There are books that I reread for relaxation when my life outside literature is complicated and stressful. These are added to that collection
on 27 December 2010
As per the other reviews in this series, for me, the story is one great big adventure that is well thought out, described and, within itself, very credible.
Without giving anything away on the story, the main character, Jenetta Carver, is both strong and vulnerable; I think the author did well to get this over within the 'Hornblower' type story.
If you have come to this review before the others, you can still read this story on its own; however, it is best if you read the books in the series in order (well obviously!!).
There are apparently at least two more books in the series; however these are yet to come out in Kindle format (soon next year for the next book I believe). Can't wait!
on 9 November 2012
Am seriously considering whether or not to continue reading the series.
I expected the story line to take a more interesting direction with the introduction of Janetta's scout ship (in a previous book) that inadvertently pushed up flight speeds enormously.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed all the books up to present, but from the reviews of subsequent books I see that they continue in more or less the same vein.

Given the time factors, I would have expected that the scientists and engineers would have solved the anomaly of the unexpected occurrence that increased the speed of the scout ship.
I would have expected that to be a major project for the Alliance and running in parallel with the production of new ships.

When considering the various warlike opposition forces arrayed against the Alliance, it just isn't feasible that this factor appears to have been ignored in the successive books.

I'm afraid the books a becoming of a sameness.
on 21 January 2011
This is the last book available at present. The next two are Vroman Castle and Against All Odds let's hope they come out soon. Start at book 1, they are all great page turners.
on 12 November 2011
This book, together with the other six books so far published in this series, is a real "page-turner". A Space Opera which openly acknowledges the Hornblower books as an inspiration, although the heroine is more likeable and infallible (perhaps closer to Alexander Kent's Richard Bolitho or Dudley Pope's Ramage).

Set in the 23rd Century, with well thought out explanations for faster-than-light travel and other scientific advances, and gripping descriptions of set piece battles in space, all seven books are thoroughly entertaining.
on 29 March 2011
to some of the comments ive seen about this series of book i can see there points
but in some of the authors comments somewhere i carnt remember where he called the book a western movie in space and i couldn't agree more and ive been totally griped in the series since starting the first book. even just the first one was well worth the read and i would recommended the series to any star trek lover.

carnt wait to see what happens to carver next....
on 7 July 2011
I read all 7 books within 2 weeks; I simply could not stop reading as I had to find out what happens next. I am a somewhat jaded military SF reader and I must admit that some of the solutions were ingenious. I felt that some events went too "smoothly", but I chose to ignore them and thoroughly enjoyed the read.

I am not going to tell you the content, but when reading the first books it reminded me of the Honor Harington series by David Weber.
on 22 June 2012
I am loving this series and and cannot wait to read the next book when I finish the last. As I grew up waiting for each Asimov and Heinlein to come out I have a very particular taste and Thomas DePrima carries this tradition forward.

The character development is excellent. The universe moves forward in a credible fashion (unlike E E 'Doc' Smith's Lensman Series). Right, I need to get into the next book. Bye!
on 14 July 2011
This book takes us off in a new direction with a new enemy. It is much like the last few books with more of a sub plot that the first few but still keeps up a good pace. It is nice to have a change of direction as this enlivens the series and introduces a few new ideas.
Good book along the lines of the previous stories, once again I could not put it down.