4.0 out of 5 stars Get your accounts in order!
Published on 21 April 2008 by Tealady2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT cover small ltd companies
Published 11 months ago by Nicodemus

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your accounts in order!, 21 April 2008
Tealady2000 (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
After starting my own small business I realised I knew nothing about keeping accounts so I bought this book from Amazon. I have been using the recommended system for the last tax year and now that I am about to complete my second self-assessment tax return I am impressed at how simple it is to work out my income and also to calculate how much I have spent in the various tax-deductible categories.

I have taken off one star because in some places I thought things were not quite as clear as they could have been - nevertheless this is an extremely useful guide. I noticed that Amazon are promoting this book along with `Understanding tax for small businesses' - I have them both, and together they make it much easier for a novice like me to keep good accounts and fill in a tax return.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Clarity, 3 July 2012
This book is not going to turn you into an expert accountant. It won't tell you about how to use a spreadsheet, and you are unlikely to gain any significant understanding about the workings of the UK tax system.

What it does do, is provide a clear and simple mechanism for keeping track of your business accounts. The format in the book, which I'm sure is pretty rudimentary by most accountants' standards, is clear and simple. It shows you what information you need to keep and where to keep it, and what the key principles are for why you need it as well. If you keep all the paperwork as recommended in the book, you should at least not have an accountant pulling their hair out at the year end...

In my (beginner's) opinion it's well worth the money. I'd also recommend having a look at the example spreadsheets provided at [...] They follow the same principle and should give you a good idea of how the this system can be converted into a electronic version.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great help, 24 July 2011
Even after being in business for a few years, i thought i would take a look at an update on what is needed now. I am glad i did as it has helped me to cut down on my paperwork.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT cover small ltd companies, 29 Aug 2013
I don't usually review books I haven't read - but in this case I think my comment might be useful to some people. Using the look-inside feature I noticed that the intro refers to preparing your (personal) self-assessment, but NOT submitting the annual accounts of a limited company. Then on page 9 I think, it says this book is suitable for sole traders and partnerships. If that is your setup, then fine. But many, if not most, small businesses are registered limited companies (like my own). This means there is a huge chunk of information this book does not cover - which in my opinion makes the title highly misleading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Great book for small businesses, lots of information

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 4 July 2014
As described and arrived within specified time.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT, 15 Mar 2014
Chris Wilson (burton on trent) - See all my reviews
well impressed with this product i like it that much i told my friends and family and they bought it too so get it yourself

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round., 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Small Business Accounting: Teach Yourself (Kindle Edition)
Excellent all round. Great service.Great communication. A pleasure to do business with.Hope to deal with you again. Very happy with my purchase.Thank You!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars business accounting, 22 Feb 2013
this is a great book to get started in running your own business, which I am hoping to do next year with my husbands help. I would recommend this book to my friends.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very basic and a bit old-fashioned, 22 Mar 2013
I have to wonder at a book published in 2010 which proposes to teach an accounting novice to start bookkeeping using paper ledgers. The advice is aimed at someone who's not had experience of accounting at all so is too basic for me but it's not written in a very engaging way so it feels like I'm working really hard to follow even stuff that I know so I would think a complete novice might get entirely lost. It seems to me as if the "Teach yourself" imprint is lagging way behind current thinking and ways of teaching, this feels like a book I've picked off my parents' shelf from the 70s.