5.0 out of 5 stars Skyrim - It's Finally Here!
After a much anticipated wait by thousands upon thousands, or 3.5 million plus, 11.11.11 has finally arrived. Some people will have gotten the game on launch day, some unfortunate enough to receive it after. And for the lucky few a day or two before release.

There has been a lot of coverage of Skyrim leading up to its release that people have likely seen, about...
Published on 11 Nov 2011 by B. white

3.0 out of 5 stars boring
Right I loved fallout 3 and New Vegas , I guess that was my first mistake.
The gameplay is very slow going and although the scenery and environment was great, I just felt couldn't get immersed in the story. The combat was completely...unsatisfying?
Overall this game just wasn't for me
Oh yeah it takes at least a summer of your life to complete
Published 10 months ago by George Hay

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 18 May 2013
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I bought these to simply have around - we have had many a good game in the garden with family and friends! A high quality product that lasts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 May 2013
Vezza (Channel Islands, Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've waited a long time to find a game as good as this. This is by far the best game I've ever played, its fantastic. Five stars isn't enough, and I don't say that about many games. You really are taken into the game's world and fall into the story. Dragons, bows and swords what else could you ask for in a ace game. The best.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest, 11 May 2013
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
If you haven't bought this game I will come round your house and stamp on your Xbox. You don't deserve a 360 if you don't have this. In fact, if you're even reading these reviews and therefore not absolutely certain about buying this game, you're an idiot. Buy it, buy it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but damn near close enough, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Fallout was so immersive I could spend a month at a time on each playthrough. First playthrough of Skyrim took me three months. Second time around I have clocked up about 240 hours of game time and I'm just slightly over half way through. There's no level cap like Fallout - keep killing and utilising your skills and you will continue to level up. Upgrade perks are practically limitless so you never lose interest in playing. Not everything is perfect though. Every once in a while the play will balls up. Freezing and mission spoiling. By mission spoiling I mean you will fulfill all criteria for success and then when you return for your reward there are no new lines of dialogue to explore - essentially leaving the mission unfinished with no way to end it. Regular saving is a MUST with this game, but with the more convoluted quests, which go on and on, you are still pretty much scuppered if this happens, unless you really want to erase 20 hours plus of game progress to try again. Having said that, Skyrim knocks every other open world/RPG on its ass. So play it. Love it. And play it again. As a lizard. Or a cat. With make-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moral Tale, 20 Oct 2012
Ambient Fish (Wishaw, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Having now invested some 120 hours in this fantasy world it has just sturck me how much of a life lesson it can be. There are many opportunities to betray someone who trust you, to kill an innocent bystander or kill a dragon who has been nothing but helpful to you. I myself could not betray the friend who had to be sacrificed to progress and the Dragon was just too good to me, I did kill an innocent bystander and felt really bad about it.

IMHO, when a game raises these questions in a grown mans head it is doing something right, this was my first venture in the world of Oblivion and I will be looking for copies of the previous games to see how they pan out. Great game which sucks you in and makes time irrelevant, be prepared to get lost for hours on end and to have to make difficult decisions on who lives and dies. This game is a massive achievement in consol gaming and deserves the attention you have to lavish on it, highly commended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this game, I was consumed with playing it in my leisure time from Christmas until May!, 6 July 2012
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Someone above asked 'is your wife a Skyrim widow?'. My answer is 'No, my husband was a Skyrim widower'. Glad to see I am not the only female loving this game, seems most gamers are male, not sure why - both my daughter and I love games - I think they are good for your mind - keeping it active, also motor skills! I played Oblivion and was delighted when this game was released, just sorry it ended and it was very long! Also a FF fan, but not into war games or such like:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Skyrim, 7 May 2012
B. COATES "hair like a lion" (lancaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Just, How do I put it?... PERFECT!! I'm in love with Lydia and I don't care who knows it! But really its awesome :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb fantasy game, 11 April 2012
A. S. Garton "age garton" (milton keynes, england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I consider myself to be a pretty average gamer - I'm certainly not "hard core" and I am not into online gaming. For me, I prefer to do my own thing, in my own time. I enjoy maximum freedom within a game. I am relatively new to Xbox gaming - in fact it's been a few years since I did much gaming at all. I never played the prequels to Skyrim, so this is a "standalone" review - just Skyrim, and nothing but Skyrim.

The detailing in Skyrim is simply amazing. I first noticed this when I realised I had spent about 45 minutes creating my character! I am certain I could have created my hero in less time, but it was fascinating to explore the options and see what was possible. Once created, the story kicks off in earnest, and from the earliest juncture it is clear that your decisions build the story. But this isn't as simple as asking "are you an Imperialist?" - in fact, the story is built slowly over many hours of gameplay and I found that I was only locked in to certain decisions after having had plenty of options to turn back.

Skyrim is a very large "map" within which are multiple cities, towns, regions, caves, dungeons, ruins, camps, etc. etc. - in the first 20 hours of gameplay, it seems almost endless. As you get around more, meet more people, interact and explore, it is easy to pick up quests. These are broken down into the main quest of the game, several major side quests, and hundreds of mini-quests and missions. Interestingly, none of quests feel any more vital than another, which is great as it adds to the experience of exploration and personal control - it took me a long while to recognise what was the "main quest" line, and I found it easy to complete that entirely at my leisure. There was no imperative to rush through it - plenty of time to duff up some bandits, ingratiate myself into various nefarious organisations, and generally have a bit of fun! This made all the simpler as the game controls are very easy to master, very intuitive.

This was all very impressive stuff for a novice like me, but what really blew me away was the look and feel. I could walk anywhere..... no boundaries other than those that "nature" throws in you way (a cliff, a fast river, etc.). And no matter where I went, the graphical detail was simply astonishing. I found myself climbing to the top of mountains and just looking around at the clouds, sunrises and sunsets, people and animals moving around below me, and streams and rivers breaking up the rich terrain. Frankly, I have never seen anything like it. So vast, and so good!

Okay, so the game has crashed a few times, and I have encountered a bug or two. Having said that the percentage of time I have spent with minor problems must be miniscule. I would also say that I have never seen or even heard of a game attempting such graphically rich freedom. There are bound to be one or two bugs!

I have now played 300+ hours (I know....!), and it's only just now starting to seem repetitive Even so, there are still quests to be completed and work to be done. I am a level 64 super-hero, but there are still creatures and puzzles to challenge me. I daresay I have a couple of months of going back to Skyrim for some further exploration - and hopefully, there will be updated and additional quests from Bethesda as time progresses.

So, in summary, if you're looking for a technically wonderful game that allows you to lose yourself completely in engaging gameplay and exploration, Skyrim represents phenomenal value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Game Of The Year, 27 Jan 2012
Syriat - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When I bought Portal2 I believed that I would play no better game in 2011. I bought Skyrim on the hype having not played Elder Scrolls before and two months later I am finally at the point where I have put it down. In value for money terms alone this game is a must with the sheer depth and size of the game. But it offers a lot more than that.

Skyrim is a single player RPG in a massive world that follows the Elder Scrolls story line. You start controlling a prisoner and gradually build skills. What's different in this game is that the skills are built up gradually and you don't have to just play one character class but you can build a rounded character or just a fighter or a mage or a thief. Its up to you and this build of skills every time you level up feels natural. The world you play in is threatened by dragons. Something the world hasn't seen for a long time and you have to find out about this new menace and then ultimately defeat it. That's the main quest. However, there are thieves quests, mage's quests, companions quests, random quests and so much more. You can stumble over a cave and be in there for an hour trying to kill skeletons, spiders or any nasty being really. This isn't a game you pick up for ten minutes. The main quest is almost a sideline...this game is so open no-one plays it the same way and a lot of people don't even bother with the main quest. Its just huge.

Did I mention the Dragons? Because this is where the game really goes from being very good to outstanding. You are minding your own business and you hear a roar, the soundtrack changes to amplify the threat with drums and then you are bathed in fire (or ice) as a dragon swoops down (seemingly at random) and you are in a battle. Several minutes later (maybe even reloads) you defeat the dragon and with your heart pounding you realise that this game has got you...not just for the eye candy (its good to look at), not just the mechanics (its not dull) but on an emotional level. It really works.

Skyrim is a hugely addictive, hugely enjoyable and just plain huge game. It has its weaknesses and eventually it does start to lose its appeal. But that's over two months and many, many hours of gameplay later. So its outlasted pretty much any game I have played on the 360. Highly recommended and I can't wait for the DLC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put, the best game that's ever been made, 28 Dec 2011
M. Wilkinson (Portsmouth, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
That sounds excessive but I feel its absolutely true in this case. The game looked very good but when I started playing it I was amazed by the customisation available for your starting character. You can choose from 10 completely different races from men, elves or even a lizard man, cat person or even an orc! When you've taken the time to decide how your character will look you name him and then you're off. The action's thick and fast and after the first little bit of dungeoning you're off to pick your speciality - will you become a magic user, stealthy thief or brutal warrior? The magic stones you activate lets you learn those sets of skills more easily but you can come back and select a different one later and there's nothing to stop you becoming a well rounded character - no matter what you do, you'll end up casting spells and doing some lockpicking/thievery and fighting, too.

The graphics are fantastic. I used to think Legend of Zelda was the final word in fantasy/RPG type games... How naive! Once you've explored the first town called Whiterun (The charming village of Riverwood doesn't count but that's fun, too!) You'll begin to get a vague idea of how truly epic this game is. I can't begin to imagine how long it took - when games like Modern Warfare (Which I like, so don't get me wrong) can do well when the campaign is only 8 or so hours, suddenly you have a game like this which could take 100 hours - or maybe more! Their are plenty of towns and a huge wilderness with caves, dungeons, hideouts and giant camps - an early mission asks that you collect a mammoth tusk for someone - good luck with that as a low level character. Like all open world games the travel can get a tiny bit tedious at times but the random encounters keep it fun - not just attacks but wandering minstrels and even a thief who asks you to surrender your hard-fought-for gold! There are also tiny problems with the AI getting in your way or not keeping up and the loading screens are a little on the long side but really nothing is major enough to detracts from this miracle of a game.

The combat is good but for me the magic is one of the best parts of the game. I was blown away the first time I summoned a fire atronach to fight for me. I could spend the whole review just talking about the amazing things that are possible in this game, just to make a point, I once played this game for about 14 hours straight. I can't imagine doing that in any other game I've ever had but this is something else. The character generation is so much fun that I've got a few characters on the go at once but all low level.

I can't wait to get deeper in to the game, level up, develop my skills, get more powerful and see more of the beautiful, beautiful world that Bethesda has made. If they announced they were doing some sort of expansion I'd give them my bank details right now. It kind of makes me think what's going to be possible on the next generation of console considering how long in the tooth the xbox is now. I think the future is bright!

Incidentally, if people want a guide to the game - its the kind of game where that's useful and fun to have - you can still get them from amazon.com (not .co.uk)

Totally amazing game, I can't really imagine people not liking it unless they dislike all video games anyway. Absolute instant classic - You must play this game.

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
17.67