5.0 out of 5 stars A Brave New Direction
Published on 9 Oct 2011 by Andy Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good album, worth investing time in...
Firstly, I wasn't immediately knocked out with this album. It took a few listens to understand and appreciate it. It's very different to anything Opeth have done before, and combines different styles and influences. Most songs feature variations in tempo and style, combining heavier sections with piano-based compositions, jazz, acoustic and classical. Not that 'Heritage'...
Published on 18 Sep 2011 by fishtail

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brave New Direction, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
Trying something new is something that is often looked down on in the world of metal, don't get me wrong we metal heads can be open minded to new styles of music but the moment Opeth announced that their new album would feature no growled vocals more than a few people raised their eyebrows. Some people even went as far as writing off the album upon hearing this information, the first single released The Devils Orchard didn't help matters with its unique sound dividing old school Opeth fans. If you were still behind the band you couldn't help but feel almost worried, god knows I was. I couldn't help but worry that maybe the band had gone too far sacrificing their trademark style of contrasting their heavy sound with their clean progressive sound. Thankfully I was totally stupid for ever doubting the band, not only is Heritage a great album but it's also a perfectly natural progression from 2008's Watershed.
From the opening piano track Heritage you clearly hear that Opeth have lost none of their ability to create an album that oozes atmosphere. It is important to note though that Heritage sounds completely unique to the bands discography whilst being feeling strangely familiar. Tracks such as I Feel The Dark and Haxprocess continue to demonstrate that Opeth are still at the top of their game in terms of musicianship and quite frankly have never sound tighter as a band. From clearly the audible bass lines to the great key board/piano sections, Heritage feels like a more collaborative effort with the mixing of the album allowing all of the instruments fully breathe rather than being smothered by the distorted guitars. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking any of Opeths previous albums and I have the feeling Blackwater Park and Watershed will still remain my favorite Opeth albums, but as a fan of progressive music it's really great to hear instruments such as the keyboard really coming into their own on this release. The album also features a great amount of variety never staying in one place for too long or becoming predictable. Tracks like the almost upbeat Slither perfectly contrasts tracks such as Nepenthe.
From the great title track to its last instrumental Marrow of The Earth, Heritage displays Opeth at their most brave and challenging. Undeniably I was sceptical at first, after my first listen I was unsure what I thought of the album all I knew was that I had listened to something genuinely special. Now that I've had time to take it in I can't help but praise the band, not only have they defied modern metal trends they have allowed themselves to stay fresh whilst never betraying their fans. It may take a while to sink in but Heritage is a brilliant listen that will challenge as well as delight even the most hardened Opeth fan

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brave and Wondrous Thing!, 20 Sep 2011
David Lusher (London England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
This album is a musical side-step for Opeth and is likely to divide their fans big-time. Those who like the death metal side of their music will probably loathe this (no grunting!), but those who prefer their lyrical, romantic side will love the whole album. There is plenty of piano, acoustic guitar, flute, with only an occasional drift into the heavy side ('The Devil's Orchard' reminds me of of some of Djam Karet's music, a fairly jazzy experience in places but a good rock song at heart with a decent little guitar solo at the end). The acoustic beginning of 'I Feel The Dark' has a Gordon Giltrap feel about it, but it's a gorgeous track that develops nicely into a melancholic rock groove that gradually gets heavier as it progresses. Some of the musical motifs on the album seem a bit simplistic but this is a good, modern progressive rock album that will appeal to many fans. It's an odd first listen and it takes two or three complete hearings to appreciate just how good an album this is. It's a brave and wondrous record and I like it better each time I hear it. I confess that I prefer Opeth's lyrical progressive side and have little time for the death metal grunting that, to my mind, spoils some of their earlier work. Many new listeners will be drawn to Opeth through this album and that is no bad thing - this talented band deserves to be heard more. This is adventurous music and the band's collaborations with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson seems to have broadened their horizon. The production is first class and cranking up the volume pays dividends! I found this a fascinating listen and recommend it. It's one of the most interesting albums released this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing, 17 Sep 2011
Mona Langva (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
I am a big Opeth fan but not a good reviewer, so I'm just writing this to spread the love for the band.

I own all their CD's and have been a big fan for a while and I was very excited about hearing their new album.
This album blew my mind in a way I didn't think possible for Opeth, because they have already amazed me so much on their previous outings. I am a big prog fan, listening to both new and old prog, like Yes, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Riverside and a lot more obscure bands. That's probably why I loved this album so much. If you're not that into prog rock and love their previous CD's, this CD might confuse and disappoint you. It's not easy listening, it will challenge you. If you can embrace their new style though, you'll discover a great prog record. The sound is great on this album and their musicianship has never been better. Mikael has reached a new level with his vocals as well. I hear some mixed opinions on this CD, but if you have some trouble getting into it, open your mind, take the journey, embrace it and maybe you'll be as amazed as I am. Give it a few spins, it might grow on you if you have trouble getting into their new style.

This is already my favorite Opeth CD and I hope the rest of their fans will embrace it. I have the special edition and the Surround Mix is fantastic as well. Definitely worth buying.

Go buy this CD :)

Sorry for my english.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opulence, 24 Nov 2014
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
It's bizarre really. The customer reviews on Amazon for this album. I don't believe a band can get anywhere near greatness unless they have some kind of ambition to produce something of this complexity, sophistication and imagination, backed up by the superb musicianship Opeth obviously enjoy. What really gets me is comments like 'this album will split existing Opeth fans' or words like that. What nonsense. If you are so narrow minded that you think Opeth should pursue only death metal type stylings, it is you who are limited by your own narrow vision of what a band should and shouldn't be doing, not 'them letting you down'.

But at least some people obviously appreciate what Opeth are all about, which, to me, is exploring the limits of both musical influence and their own remarkable musical invention, unfettered by 'convention' or repetition. I have listened to metal since the the early eighties. I didn't encounter Opeth until a few years ago, and, for me, they are the greatest metal band that have ever existed. Able to slay you with raw power or reduce you to tears and awe with their pulsating rage and beauty. It is a heady, electrifying cocktail that is alternatively thrilling and jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected., 25 May 2013
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
Based on the admittedly very little material I'd heard by Opeth prior to this, I was a little nervous purchasing this. But decided to take a chance based on the clips heard on Amazon and on the basis of the fact that the Strom Corrosion album by the musical genius Steven Wilson and Opeth vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt is so very good. However I needn't have worried it's really good.
So if your've an Opeth fan who hasn't already got this album then approach this with an open mind its worth it, it really is very good. And if you've never heard of Opeth then don't worry if you're a fan of good music well written and well played and brilliantly produced by SW then this is well worth getting, especially if you can get hold of the 5.1 surround sound version which lifts the album onto a whole new level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gurgles with delight, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Heritage [VINYL] (Vinyl)
what could be better than a Brilliant album by a brilliant band?
that same album on Vinyl *gurrgles* This album is exactly as I described it on cd only it sounds better and clearer and crisper and Deeper and even more natural. the artwork looks fantastic and it just is excellent to own something like this on vinyl yay

4.0 out of 5 stars Heritage, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
For some reason it took me a while to get around to listening to Opeth's latest (and somewhat controversial) album Heritage (2011). Opeth have been a band I've listened to on and off for about 6 years. I first listened to them during an experimental phase, when they had just release Ghost Reveries which I still consider to be their best work. I listened to them a lot for a few years, but then gradually drifted away from them, although I still go back and listen to any new albums they release.

So, I say that Heritage is somewhat controversial. Opeth, as you may know, are a very experimental and unusual Swedish death metal band. I say death metal, as many of their albums more or less fit that genre, however they are known for suffusing their albums with acoustic guitar, clean singing and jazz style keyboards, none of which are traditional for the death metal scene. They have also previously released an entirely "clean" album (Damnation) which features mostly rock and acoustic material, rather than the heavier end of the spectrum which many fans associate with Opeth. Heritage itself follows in a similar vein to Damnation in that the band completely sever their death metal ties and stick entirely to the clean, acoustic rock blueprint. Jazz tinged guitars and keys, acoustic sections, slow sections of bluesy guitar and entirely clean, sung vocals. Strangely, this has caused something of an uproar amongst fans. Yes, it would be surprising if a traditional death metal band achieved such a feat. However, for a band like Opeth who are, at heart, musicians rather than metallers, and who are well known for incorporating a more mellow side into their music, it should come as no real surprise that they have decided to go for something a bit different.

And different it is, if you compare it to the crushingly heavy Deliverance or albums like Morningrise, Still Life and Blackwater Park, all of which incorporated a good dose of death metal. However, Heritage has its antecedents in the mellower rock style of Damnation and the jazz/blues elements that were particularly heavily introduced in their previous album, Watershed. Opeth do metal well, but its never been their sole raison d'etre, and it's fairly natural for them to take a lighter route this time.

Well, on to the album itself. For me, Opeth tend a little towards pretentiousness at the best of times, and that comes in spades on this album. Slow, meandering passages with pensive solos and a lack of the more straightforward heaviness and power that so often makes their music enjoyable. In some ways that's good: metal can often be lazy - heavy riffs and death growls can cover a lack of creativity and musicianship (although I wouldn't include Opeth in that criticism). There is a warmth and depth to this album, as well as a comfortable blend of classic rock and more typical Opeth eccentricity. The guitars sound rich and clean, and when they are not playing around with pretentious solos and meandering guitar passages, there is plenty of simple yet effective riffing. At heart, Opeth are a band who really, really know how to play their instruments, and that comes across very well.

Face in the Snow is a particular highlight for me. A thoughtful and mildly melancholic classic rock gem, along with the slightly punchier (and more typically Opeth-esque) The Devil's Orchard, and the more energetic Slither.

Perhaps it tends a little towards dullness and pretentiousness at times, but at others it's a clever, well put together and well produced album, which allows Opeth to play with another side to their music. It's rockier than Damnation but overall follows Watershed quite well stylistically (albeit minus the crushing moments of death metal in songs like Heir Apparent). It may or may not be something I find myself listening to again, but I can certainly see its appeal as something to play whilst reading, working or relaxing.

5.0 out of 5 stars "from the past, for the future", 18 May 2012
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
Don't listen to the naysayers and rogues. Anything less than five stars is a travesty. Heritage is an hour of brilliant music. The songs are beautifully crafted and the album has the sort of completeness and balance that has always been rare and has become increasingly so as people download and piece together personal playlists. You just don't need to do that with this album. Just take it whole every time. It isn't really heavy, fine, but it is good prog metal with (to my ear) references right back to Red (King Crimson) 1974. I wish that they had played material from this when I saw them live. No death metal vocals - a bonus on this occasion. Some acoustic riffs and quiet passages - sure. But it still has fibre and muscle too. If you really want unrefined power and growling vocals, avoid this, and forever miss a great album. Magnificent, doesn't do it justice. Majestic, is too clichéd. Masterpiece -that'll do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly special, 2 May 2012
Steven J. Takle "Bigsteviet" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
In turns beautiful, harsh and gritty, this album is the culmination of Opeth's musical journey to date.

I'm sure I'm going to upset a lot of fans (if any of them read this, lol) when I say that it sounds like Opeth have finally matured into the band they always promised to be.

I love heavy, I love gentle, but I don't get on so well with growled vocals, which just seem a bit childish to my ears. If you love em, great, but it doesn't work for me. Which is probably why I think Heritage is just so blummin brilliant. Take all the heaviness, all the grace, all the complexity of previous albums but now there's no need to be embarrassed to play it to new ears to convert them.

A tad over-retro, maybe, but I absolutely LOVE this album and only hope they continue to pursue this direction in the future. This album is a real watershed (pun intended!)

4.0 out of 5 stars This album will grow on you with repeat listens.., 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
I am not a die Hard fan of Opeth but saying that I truly believe that they are amongst the best bands in metal/hard rock arena today and like Mastodon/SOAD are quite progressive as well.

This album may be a bit of a let down for the fans who like the death metal vocals and hard /fast tunes..but for fans like me who listen to Opeth more for the musicmanship and the prog side of the band this is a great album. It definately pays tribute to a lot of the Jazz, classic rock influences on the band members but still keeps it's individuality of being an Opeth album.

Give it a few listens....keep it aside for a week or two and try again...this time see the songs jump at you like monsters.

'Slither' which at first sound like an out of place song for Opeth, more a Blackmore sevenites song.... on multiple listens the same song sounds like it did on your first listens but without the 'this is not Opeth' and this is when you start to appretiate the song rather then straight jacketing the band.

Another standout track is 'Folklore' wow just wonderfull. This band will leave a leagacy of music for fans to rever in different moods....Steven Wilson says it's a great album..I tend to agree...

Yes this album is more jazzy, less extreme but still a monster if you get what I mean..

Heritage
Heritage by Opeth (Audio CD - 2011)