5.0 out of 5 stars Helps with fixing the emotional side of over eating
Published on 27 April 2007 by Sgt. Cruz

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going
Before I start, I have to say, this book is brilliant and makes so much sense....in theory. I found this very hard going. I understood what was asked of me, I understood the principles behind it, but when it came to eating whatever I wanted - I quit, 5 days in. I could cope with the earlier exercises - binning the scales, binning the clothes that were too small for me,...
Published on 4 July 2011 by Karen White

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps with fixing the emotional side of over eating, 27 April 2007
I bought this book over 15 years ago and found it the most useful book I have ever read. I was a compulsive eater all my childhood through to my twenties. This book is invaluable as it doesn't suggest yet another diet or willpower strategy, instead it works with the emotional side of why people comfort/compulsively eat. Occasionally when things get out of hand I start to eat too much but this book helps to work through relapses and breaks the cycle of overeating, berating yourself, feeling bad and eating even more. If you feel you eat too much, don't go out and buy yet another diet book, get this one and read it cover to cover (like the book says - don't skip bits that seem difficult to do). Unlike most diets, this book helps to realistically change your eating long term and shows you how the way you live your life has an impact on your eating habits and how to stop the negatives having such an impact.

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone has to read this!, 26 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Overcoming Overeating (Paperback)
I read this book 10 years ago, when I was a teenager with bad eating problems. It makes you realise that 'overweight' is not the problem - 'overeating' is. The authors go into why people overeat. The main reason is shown to be that we don't use food for what it is meant - hunger. Instead,lots of people eat for emotional/ social reasons. Also explains how restricting what you eat - dieting - causes more overeating. Is a fantastic book and I no longer have an eating disorder because of it - my weight now remains stable and there are no 'good' or 'bad' foods in my life -lettuce & chocolate are equal. If you can take on board what the authors tell you (and it is hard -as it goes against everything you've ever been told before!) your life will change forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 4 Nov. 2009
A couple of years ago I decided that I needed to lose weight. I joined Weightwatchers and managed to shed 3 stone with little trouble but I then found maintaining my weight a total nightmare and began a cycle of binging followed by deprivation. I was constantly thinking about food and used to stand at the cupboard stuffing sweets into my mouth. Then I found this book.

It is brilliantly written, funny and sympathetic. It answers every question I might have had on the subject of emotional overeating and helps you overcome the cycle of dieting despair. I have also read 'Beyond Chocolate' (which supports the ideas in this book but is much less detailed, kind of a 'lite' version of this I suppose and 'Eating Less' which, personally, did not work for me.

I can not recommend this book more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a binge eater like me, you have to read this book!!, 3 May 2010
Ms. S. L. Jarvis (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Although I am only 20 years of age, I have put myself of diets since the age of 9 for being overweight/obese. I've done the low-fat diet; I've done skipping breakfast and lunch and scoffing in the evening; I've done super-healthy... all of which lead me to binge during the evening when I'm lonely/sad/bored.

From reading this book I can honestly say I will NEVER diet again EVER. I have never been told such information on why diets DO NOT WORK and it makes so much sense. I feel so liberated that I can eat whatever I want now: Mcdonalds, white bread with proper butter, chocolate, crisps... you name it I can have it. And the best thing? I don't binge anymore because I know the foods I crave will always be there and in my life. My weight is stable and I can enjoy life IN THE NOW rather than waiting to lose weight and beating myself up in the mean time for 'slipping up'.

Please, if you suffer from overeating and if you always seem to be on the dieting then binge then beat yourself up then binge some more cycle READ THIS BOOK. I've never been so happy and I accept my shape as it is now and I eat just enough to satisfy my stomach hunger not my mouth hunger.

Best book I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Discovery., 5 Dec. 2009
Hello,

If you're at all like me, on and off diets all the time, you will welcome this book with open arms, I promise you. I have been dieting since the age of 11 years old and I am now 27. I've tried them all, Weight Watchers, Slimming World, The 3 Day diet, Slim Fast, Atkins, The Soup Diet (all of them!!), Eating nothing etc etc...I only wish that I had come across this book earlier. I have so far lost over 4 stones within a year whilst being on a diet and to be honest, I am truly fed up. As soon as I come off the diet, my weight goes up, so I feel bad and go straight back on another diet. I am so releived that I found this book.

This book will allow you to see how diets truly do not work in the sense that, you will always have to be bound to a "diet" in order to "keep your weight down", hence, never "feeling free" or learning how to make your own decisions about what is good for you. This book will teach you how to do just that and live freely without the retraints of a diet. You will lose weight. You will learn to be in touch with your hunger once again instead of just eating from habit or boredom etc. You will learn that once you stop putting labels on certain foods - i.e. chocolate is a bad food, you will start to see all foods as equal and therefore crave less of the so called forbidden foods.

If you are truly ready to ditch the diets/binge cycles, I would strongly recommend that you invest in this book. Yes, I do understand that it may not be for everyone but unless you try, you wont know.

Enjoy :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars best food psyschology book i've read, 14 July 2010
brilliant life changing - it will help you eat what you want without killing yourself. why? because you simply change the way you deal with food. you actually eat whatever your body tells you to. the trick is to learn to listen with precision and pinpoint the messages you receive. anyone with food issues must read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life!, 16 Jun. 2010
Mrs. A. Weaver (London UK) - See all my reviews
If this the same book I read 15 years ago (it had a blue cover and an ice-cream on the front then) then it literally changed my life. I was in my early twenties and was always either dieting or not dieting, and strangely ending up heavier each time. I am now nearly 40, have had two kids, and am perfectly happy with the weight and my body. You won't be 'thin' if you follow this book, but you'll be a lovely natural weight and not have to worry about what you eat. Very highly recommended, and please stick with it - don't lose heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars These women really understand, 3 Sept. 2008
I read Overcoming Overeating several years ago and was relieved to find a book about overeating that was written by women who clearly understand what it's like, who don't patronise or prescribe. I didn't actualy see myself as an overeater at the time, I just thought I needed to get a grip, summon some willpower and find the right diet - this book showed me that it wasn't that I was failing at the diets or that I hadn't found the right one but that DIETS fail all of us beacuse they just don't work. If you want to really transform your relationhip with food, this book is well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars top book, 4 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
this book has been around for years but it hasn't dated. i bought it some years ago and am still reading it! (slow reader alert) truth is, i come back to it often because i find it so helpful. the idea of legalizing all food is compelling but scary. the idea of accepting yourself and loving yourself even more so. this book gives practical exercises and insight into the whole issue of food and body and deep stuff. not the complete answer but a good part of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Overeating, 6 Jan. 2012
Y O U H A V E G O T T O B U Y T H I S B O O K if you regularly are preoccupied with thoughts of self loathing self hatred and feelings of helplessnes because of overeating. If you have never been able to keep a packet of biscuits in your cupboard without eating the packet the same day and then spending the night telling yourself how disgusting you are and what a fat failure you are then you have GOT to read this book it is truly life and mind changing. It has the answers you've spent your life looking for such as, why am I driven to eat? why can't I be normal around food? ie not eating unless hungry not being anxious, why do I always fail at diets? I really can't say enough about the insight this book has given me into what has become a lifelong problem for the first time in my life I do believe I have hope and in time by applying the guidance given I will develop a much healthier mental attitude towards food. I am so glad I bought this book.

Overcoming Overeating