5.0 out of 5 stars Obsessive, or what! Dead addictive!
Published on 28 Feb. 2012 by Brian Lightowler

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space 2
Published on 15 Sept. 2012 by Chaines1991

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsessive, or what! Dead addictive!, 28 Feb. 2012
Brian Lightowler "Smutsdad" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
You have to understand, I'm nearly 65 and the state's shortly going to pay me for just being a nice, old chap! I was raised on the pub version of space invaders - ping! Ping! Ping! Zup, you're dead! I played Dead Space 1 at the easy level and was pretty taken with the graphics in that. I couldn't believe the number of senarios contained in the race to get the marker. The weapons are awesome, as are the beasts that attack. This is a truely wondersome world, grotesque but remarkably imaginative. Dead Space 2 takes this adventure to a new and fearsome level, and I haven't yet scratched the surface! I haven't joined with others on the 'net to beat the ghastly forces, and I'm only on Chapter 9, Normal level! A word of warning, my wife was appalled at the gruesome graghics - the blood, the guts, the realistic dismembering of both friend and foe. But, this is the world of High Definition and beyond the clandestine half-hour to get to the next level ("You're not on that thing again, are you?") I'm unlikely to be influenced too much - old ladies and their handbags are safe with this space warrior! I just wish me and Isaac could take our Line Guns and Pulse Rifles to the Tory party conference!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back In Action, 28 Jan. 2011
Marty (Basingstoke) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
This limited edition includes not only Dead Space 2 but also Extraction, a Playstation Move game as well.

Firstly, the game itself is beautifully animated which can be seen from the off - the most atmospheric lighting and depth to date. It's also frantic right from the minute you start and full of those jumpy scares which were so effectively used in the first game.

The controls, despite being very similar to the last, feel much smoother and easier to manouver. No more clunky movement for Isaac. Combat is again the same idea - dismember necromorph's limbs to stop the things from coming at you. There are new elements introduced, and use of stasis to slow enemies is a lot more acurate.

The environments are stunning, and a lot more interesting than before with lots of wide open spaces. Every dark, musky corner has been designed to add atmosphere.

The story is new, and without spoiling much, really makes Isaac Clarke earn his place among the industries best protagonists. There are a lot of great games out this year, but this is already a strong contender for game of the year. This polish and attention to detail are rarely seen in games.

There is also an online mode, where you can choose to play as either human or necromorph. It's pretty decent and will definitely add playability value.

Now onto Extraction, a Move based game set before any of the narative from the first game happened. It's very different, plays like a House of the Dead game and feels a bit more like Resident Evil than Dead Space but is actually a fantastic game. I'm having as much fun on this as Dead Space 2 and this is the reason I now own Move.

Controls are responsive and the game instills the same sense of panic the series is so renowned for. Graphically not as much of a treat as the main game, it still looks impressive considering it's a port.

This really is value for money and is shaping up to be the best survival horror series so far - Silent Hill better shape up for it's release later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarier than One, 12 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I have to admit I didn't exactly wet my pants on the Original Dead Space but loved it nonetheless for it's atmospheric and enjoyable Gameplay (played it throughout at least 5 times). So this sequel had a lot to live up to.
And live up it does. Firstly the beginning moments Gameplay-wise are similar. Isaac running away from alien monsters with no weapon, except this time around wearing a straight jacket and having an entire legion of nasties trying to get a bite. And the first items you get are a torch and medipack. It's till near the end of the level you get anything at all that can fire limb dissecting rounds at anything. It all makes the tension more intense from the offset.
Visually it's a real treat. Not only does it look sharper than the original but more varied locations allow a much greater feel of size and scale. My favourite section has to be the unitolgy church, though the nursery section wins most freaky award.
There's also more variety in Gameplay. No longer are bosses simply point and shoot add ons or trams simply a save point between levels but a QTE cinematic bits in their own right.
Overall Dead Space 2 is a great game, and with a full install of the Nintendo Wii classic Extraction (you will need the disk to play it though) this is 2 great games for the price of one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic gameplay and amazing story make this one of the PS3's finest, 18 Sept. 2012
Mr. J (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I ordered this game thinking it would be a fun, if somewhat brainless 3rd person shooter. I was looking for something that could scare and shock me... this game did that and so much more besides. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts on Dead Space 2 (Limited Edition):

Gameplay - EPIC!! The controls are perfect in this game (having never played the first I cannot compare the two), with the innovative idea of having all on screen information such as health, stasis and the inventory within the actual game as part of the suits, etc. rather than glued on the screen as in most games. In terms of weapons, eat your heart out. There are quite a few weapons, all of which are wildly different form each other (with unique pros/cons). I personally love the Plasma Cutter (a devastating laser gun that is the first weapon found in the game) and the Force Gun (simply because it saved me in a few horrendously gruesome situations). A cool feature is the upgrade system which is divided by the in-game Store and Bench. Using Power nodes picked up when playing the game you can upgrade your weapons (making them even more awesome), of course this is vital when playing through on the harder difficulties. The in-game currency can be used to purchase new weapons and new suits for your player to wear, each with their own special bonuses. I would rate gameplay as 5/5

Story - The story was not something I was bothered about since I never played the first game. However, I watched the 'previously on dead Space' video which gave me enough information to play through this second game and still enjoy the story... and what a story! I started playing the game for the thrills and scares but the plot really kept me interested. I won't spoil anything but I must say there were a few twists and turns that I didn't think of, but mostly I was surprised at how real the characters seemed, I really felt involved in their troubles. I would rate the story as an amazing 5/5 (on par with both Red Dead Redemption and Batman: Arkham City in my mind)

Multi player - Now this is not something that interested me really, and it was the only aspect of the game that seemed to fall short. With odd game modes and a rather drab style the multi player bored me after a few simple games (although it is fun to be a Necromporh for a while). Some players are humans, others are necromorhs with the main mode being little more than a team death match. With not much to do and little teamwork necessary this mode felt tacked on to the rest of the game, hopefully this aspect can be improved if ever another game in the series is launched. Multi player is a poor 2/5.

Overall - There are scares galore in this game, with the Necromorphs (bad guys) arriving in some devastating variations (yes, I'm talking about those stupid kids), but the epic weapons and grand locations (particularly the zero-g bit's) ensure this is not you standard 3rd person action/horror game. I would recommend picking this game up for 11 hours (that's how long it took me) of awesome story and epic gameplay, even if the multiplayer aspect is ignored. One of this generations finest games.

PS: There is a New Game+ mode that allows you to replay the game on another difficulty using all the weapons and upgrades that you gathered the first time around, right from the start. This would easily add another 10 hours to the game (plus there are two new suits to find in this second play through)... even if you leave the multilayer aspect untouched.

PPS: GET THE LIMITED EDITION!!!! It contains Dead Space Extraction which is a Wii game ported over to use the Playstation Move (or normal controller if you do not have a Move) and it is insanely fun. More of a prequel to the other Dead Space games, this is the best on-rails shooter to hit the Wii or PS3 and it's not to be missed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space 2, 15 Sept. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Dead Space 2 is more or less like the first game , it sees the return of our hero and all of his alien "foes" who try to stop him/her at every turn as he/she works their way through the many challenges the game presents - which in this case it all takes place on a massive space station on what is left of the moon Titan (I won't give any more away :P). Other than the setting and possibly a minor tweak in graphics , not a lot has changed, we do however discover that Issac who didn't have much to say in the first game DOES actually talk ! :D. In terms of fear factor it's good , on a par with the first game perhaps more even. The plot is still a bit of a jumbles mess though, one minute your told to go here by your so called friends, the next they want to kill you and so on , but again that's me.

As I got the limited edition of the game , I also discovered the dead space extraction game , I'm still playing through it but I find it great fun , it's probably better if you use playstation move with it but even without its great fun.

All and all it's not bad at all and anyone who Played the first game and liked it should try the second one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space 2 / Extraction / Severed / Multiplayer, 15 Oct. 2011
S. Haddow - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Dead Space 2 is a phenomenally good game that will work on you the same way DS1 one did. I don't play either of them too late for the same reason - I get a real adrenaline hit from them and can't sleep afterwards. Some excellent changes - the ability to fly in zero g was a big plus, and the game is as big and imaginitive as DS1 - and also nice and long.

However I don't think it's just as good as Dead Space 1 (while still being a 5 star game). The larger variety in the environments, although beautifully done , detract from the claustrophobia of DS1 (and I doubt that I'll ever find a more creepy noise than the sound of asteroids booming hollowly against the hull of the Ishimura). As other reviewers have noted, there is too much 'go there and do that' every time Isaac meets someone - it wouldn't take much of a twist in the writing to have Isaac come up with some of these ideas himself (as is the case in Extraction). It was also a worry that Isaac began talking - the voice acting is perfect so not a major concern - and the vast majority of the game still centres around a very lonely journey with the sound of Isaac's breathing for company, but it did lend itself too easily to moving a plot more centre stage, and too much plot could easily have destroyed the survival horror element. There are also a few horrific moments littered around that did surprise me - real hard core horror movie stuff mostly towards the end. Chapter marks are different in DS2 - they are signalled by text on the screen - however reaching the train in DS1 (and hearing that high string music in the soundtrack) was always accompanied by a feeling of relief, so I did miss that. There is some evidence of tampering with the core that made DS1 so uncompromisingly brutal and tense, but so far it feels like an evolution overall. However as the talk of DS3 is to have Isaac centre stage again, I am worried that there is nothing much left to explore and so further tampering will be required to make it fresh, the plot will get bigger etc. Isaac's story does look complete now - however Visceral haven't let me down yet so hopefuly DS3 will be great.

>>>Severed: is it worth a fiver? Yes. It is really more of the same, but beware - at least 80% of the environments are recycled and even though Severed uses a different character - the gameplay is identical, although far more condensed - expect to be rushed by necromorphs much more than in the regular games.

>>>Extraction: this has been the biggest surprise for me, having disgarded my only previous attempt at an on-rails shooter after a few minutes. For anyone that doesn't know - an on-rails shooter means that you don't control where you walk or what you look at. The graphics are excellent - but more surprisingly it is a far more cinematic experience that I anticipated, with excellent face work and voice acting. The gameplay is challenging - coping with necromorphs while scooping up supplies before they dissapear out of your line of sight is pretty hard. Overall it's more or less what I was hoping for from the (IMHO) rather poorly made and rushed to market Dead Space cartoons.

>>>DS2 multiplayer: not really much to talk about. Fairly poor I'm afraid, but the main thing about DS is the single player so I wouldn't think of marking it down for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars In Space no one can hear you scream! In the comfort of your own home however...., 14 Aug. 2011
Single Player:

I recently picked up the limited edition version of this title as I had always been curious and kinda wanted to scare myself silly. Needless to say, objective achieved!

Now I just wanna point out that I have never played the first Dead Space as I hadn't managed to scoop together enough courage by then to play it :P

This is not a problem as those damned cleaver developers have included a "Previously on Dead Space..." Video clip you can watch before starting the campaign to fill you in.

Ok so anyway, down to the game. The gameplay is really enjoyable to anyone who likes a third person shooter or a survival horror game. One thing I particularly love is the way a traditional hud has been chucked out in favour of providing you relevent information such as health, ammo etc either on each weapon in turn or your actual body. This was actually on the first game as well but so few games actually do this so I think it's pretty cool. It just makes it feel more like a movie instead of a game. The way the story plays out keeps you on your toes and second guessing which helps keep things really fresh. The enemies you fight are really varied with new Necromorphs thrown at you every so often to ensure you are permanently out of your comfort zone. Some very good looking cinematic sequences are also thrown into the mix as well which help to provide a good dose of high octane action.

Multiplayer:

This installment in the Dead Space series also includes a multiplayer mode. Basically players compete either as Humans or Necromorphs in a series of objectives. Now I must point out that there is only one game mode for online play which I think kinda sucks and does give it a "tacked on after thought" feel to it, but each map does use its own set of different objectives to complete while fighting off a Necromorph horde. Even though multiplayer is basic it is still pretty fun and breaks up the single player mode nicely giving you a bit more longevity to the game.

Dead Space: Extraction

Now in the limited edition of this game you get another title ideally meant to be used with the move controller. This is played in a similar fashion to Time Crisis but fleshed out a bit more to make it seem like it isn't played on rails. It is pretty fun even played with a normal controller and does help to fill in some of the narrative from the first game which I really appreciated.

The Verdict

Overall I really think this game is superb and a must have title for horror and shooter fans alike. I doesn't get 5 - stars because of the multiplayer but really its just me being fussy. At a price of around twenty quid you really can't go wrong with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best survival horror games out there!, 20 May 2011
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
What a fantastic game this is, such an improvement from the first which is surprising as I thought the first one was amazing.

The game-play was thoroughly enjoyable, glad too see they can still make people jump, although it might not be AS scary compared to the first one, their were still times I thought I was going to have a heart-attack, there aren't that many games that can make me feel that way.

The harder modes are challenging, as health packs and ammo are rarer to find, it forces you to be more accurate when shooting and not waste your bullets, the last thing you want is to have no ammo in your gun.

As for multi-player, it was enjoyable when I first played it, but in my opinion it can get boring rather quickly and with some server issues, it's not as enjoyable as it could be.

Extraction that comes with this game is awesome, if you have PlayStation Move Starter Pack with PlayStation Eye Camera and Move Controller (PS3), then you will have a lot of fun with this, I found the aiming to be extremely accurate which made this game really fun.

Overall this game has to get top marks from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt get much better, 15 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I must admit, I held back on getting this game for sometime.
I was a huge fan of DS1, but I couldnt help but feel a little cynical about this release.

I was wrong.

This game has it all, great story, fantastic graphics, unparalled atmosphere and good gameplay.
The level of immersion is quite outstanding; The feel of the "Sprawl" when you are making your way through it is both fascinating and unnerving. The set pieces are well timed too.

I will be honest, I cant think of any negative aspects about this game.
The weapons are good, great when maxed out. The leveling up of your gear through the collection of "nodes" that can be found across the Sprawl is an interesting way of doing things.
If you can stomach it, Hardcore Mode pits you against the game but with increased difficulty and the chance to save your game no more than 3 times( given that I have completed this game 3 times and the quickest I have done it in is 8.5 hours)... This is where the sweaty palms and increased heart palpitations appear. To successfully complete the game on Hardcore you need a good strategy, nerves of steel and lets face it a lot of time.
This is the last thing I have to do in DS2 and I am already thinking of my route of attack... I simply cant wait.
I think where we are with technology and coding games, it is pretty hard to match the complete experience you get from this game.
I would class this as a "classic" game. Which should sit proudly with other recent classics such as "Red Dead Redemption", "Assassins Creed Brotherhood", "Mass Effect 2" & "Hannah Montana the Movie".

Seriously though. I doubt I will play another game this year that has had me so in awe of the level of detail and immersion I got from this game. I hope I'm wrong....
With the added advantage of getting "Dead Space: Extraction" with your ltd edition I cant see why you havent bought it yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the kids!, 9 Feb. 2011
J. N. Bailey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I couldn't wait for this game to come out after going back and playing DS1 again.....and I haven't been dissapointed!

I'm going to try and keep this review short if I can...

One thing I would say, if you haven't played DS1 its not the end of the world, but you would certainly appreciate the characters and storyline here more if you have, especially of you have also read / watched the books and DVDs too...in DS2 the DS universe is greatly expanded even more, with levels containing more info on Unitology etc etc...

So additions from DS1? More weaps, which I must admit to not really trying just yet, as i love the line gun and pulse cannon so much...I have bought them all though...there also seem to be more suits too. There are all the fave baddies and some new gruesome ones added in, which fit the atmosphere perfectly. Another addition is that you see more of Issacs face and get to hear him talking....not too sure if I like him talking. I kind of prefered it when he was faceless mysterious guy...
Moving around in zero G is now by using jets and is a lot easier and less confusing.
Maybe its just me here, but is DS2 a lot darker than DS1 too? anyone else notice that you have to use the flashlight a lot more? Not an issue, just an observation...

the last noticable difference is that there seem to be fewer traditional bosses, which I like, as I think the boss at the end of the levels thing is an old fashioned thing....however, you will still die a lot in this game! especially in the shocking first 10-20 minutes if the game....

ok thats it...sorry I meant to keep this short!

summing up, just buy it - this is the new leader in survival horror....

Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)