5.0 out of 5 stars Are YOU one of God's elect?, 31 July 2014
Colin Ford (Isle of Lewis) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Doctrine of Election (Kindle Edition)
Pink was a man who dug deep into the depth of Holy Writ to get to the very bottom of this 'mysterious' topic. I say mysterious, yet this ought not to be, as it is virtually on every page of the bible to those who God has given eyes to see it.
Election and predestination are under ever increasing attack in these days from many of those who profess the Faith, yet, a biblical understanding of this doctrine is truly humbling and when grasped can but make "the lame man leap as an hart"! (spiritually speaking!)
Alas, I fear that many today haven't got the time (they do, but they don't prioritise) to get to the root of the matter, they are content with shallow doctrine that is no doctrine at all. Pink knew that the preaching of this most fundamental of doctrines would separate the wheat from the chaff, that it would make so very few converts that few would come to hear him preach. Such are the dark days in which we live; only the Arminian freewill churches have their pews packed, which tickle "itching ears" with their biblically unsound doctrine and entertainments.
The "proof is in the pudding" as it were, take, for example Chuck Smith the founder of one of the most successful 'Christian' Church movements today, (or should I say businesses?) Calvary Chapel. I quote Smith's words, "When you take hard stands on these non-foundational issues, you'll just empty your church of all those who have Methodist, Nazarene, and other Arminian-influenced backgrounds. Why would you want to do that?" (He calls these doctrines "non-foundational"!) This quote was taken from his Calvary Chapel Distinctives.
Smith was a shrewd businessman; he knew that if the gospel truth was faithfully preached, very few would attend.
Yet what does the Scripture say on this wise? "Woe is me if I preach not the gospel!" 1 Corinthians 9.16.
American theologian, the late Gordon H. Clark in his work "Biblical Predestination" back in the 1960s made this most lamentable of observations; "There are too few people who wish to understand even the simplest biblical teaching. This is not a theological age. Some writers say it is a post Christian age." Sadly, how very true this is?
Easy believism and false doctrine are true bedfellows.
Pink explains the "supralapsarian" and "sublapsarian" positions in this work, a doctrine that I hadn't fully grasped until reading this book. Upon study, I would agree with Pink that supralapsarianism is taught in Scripture. This is the teaching that the elect were perfect in Christ before the foundation of the world. He says "Why, to bring Christ into the world only on account of sin and for the work of redemption were to subject Him unto us, making our interests the end of His becoming incarnate! That is indeed to get things upside down." He goes on to say that "Redemption itself was designed by God first for Christ's own glory rather than to meet our need."
If you are a believer but have doubts about your salvation, I most thoroughly and earnestly implore you to read these pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got to be one of the best books on this subject., 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Doctrine of Election (Kindle Edition)
A.W.Pink faces up to difficult questions and answers them in a way few others have. And more than that, presents the answers in a very readable way. This book, and another book by the same author "The Sovereignty of God" , which I would suggest that the reader read first, are absolutely essential reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A most timely truth., 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Doctrine of Election (Kindle Edition)
I must confess to an affection for Pink: I taught in the same church (Stornoway), perhaps sat in the same chair, as did Mr Pink. Since coming to Christ, I have been guided by his writings, finding them lucid and in conformity to the central truths of God's holy Word. I am approaching 73, and have not tired of him.
A word of caution! It is surely fine to strive to comprehend all that our dear Lord reveals. It is equally true that we must not assume an air of 'doctrinal superiority' over those who cannot (will not?) see what we see. Those of us who genuinely submit to God, and praise Him every day in a spirit of holiness, must be patient with our brothers and sisters. We must humbly desire their fellowship, guiding where and as we might, and avoid being 'doctrinaire'. I am Scottish, and have long (and, I trust, gently) contended with those of a 'high' Calvinistic flavour. In many respects I have discovered my 'Arminian' beloved to have a warmer, more vital faith in the living God. The doctrine of election ought leave us humble and contrite, that WE, who lay in the cold, dark gutters of despondency, have received the gift of life and joy unspeakable. This doctrine has been revealed to keep us in our place by showing how great God really is to enter into a covenant of life with contemptible creatures such as us. In his writings, A.W. Pink reveals he is perhaps the last of the latter Puritans, and, as such, demands a place in our dust-free shelves.. He is well-worth the read.

The Doctrine of Election