on 7 May 2011
I've been looking for a product like this for a long time. I don't like oven mitts especially the ones that are, in essence, a long piece of cloth folded over at both ends as they seem to be made specifically for me to catch on something hot - an accident in the making!

Each glove can be used left or right-handed in that the heat resistance and non-slip blue strips are on both sides - great for us as we have a lefty who does a lot of cooking. It also means that backs of hands don't get sizzled on the sides of the oven when removing large dishes.

The non-slip strips are an extra bonus that have proven to be useful already when handling the heavier meat tins.

There are a couple of cons:

as I have small hands, there is a lot of glove left after my fingers end, this does occasionally cause me to dip the tip of the glove finger/thumb into hot liquid - just something to be aware of and watch out for

the gloves are bulky - as you would expect given the amount of heat they protect against - but this can make handling utensils a bit tricky (while basting for example)

However, the benefits of the gloves far outweigh either of those little issues so I would definitely recommend them and I give them 5 stars for doing exactly what they say they do.

I would certainly buy them again.
0Comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2011
The gloves arrived promptly and as promised there were two of them. I can thoroughly recommend them. I have not had one burnt hand as they really are heat proof and safe to use to pick up stuff as they are non slip. They do everything it says on the packet.
on 18 September 2013
I bought these oven gloves for 2 reasons:

1- they have fingers.
2- they are advertised as containing Kevlar and Nomex.

Firstly, the gloves fit my (large and long-fingered) hands perfectly. They are not too thick, allowing your individual fingers free movement. Because of this, you can actually "feel" and have better control over what you are doing. The silicone non-slip strips also do their job. You can take things in and out of the oven with the confidence that your tray is not going to slip out of your grip. The heat protection is also very good for a lengthy period of time; plenty of time to relocate trays and plate ect safely.

However, based on my second reason for purchase, I've been very disappointed. The packaging and the glove itself do not mention Kevlar or Nomex. The gloves also rather suspiciously say "100% cotton" on the washing label. Therefore, if you are purchasing the glove on the basis that they contain Kevlar and Nomex, you may wish to think again.

In summary, I feel very mislead that the product and packaging do not even mention Kevlar and Nomex. However, I feel that for almost £10, they are still good value plus an extremely useful and functional tool for everyday cooking. It's just a shame that the product description was misleading. Let's hope someone corrects it before others fall into the same trap that I did.

UPDATE 19/9/13
Seller (Grendle Enterprises) responded to my negative feedback: "Maybe you are a chemist and can test for product contents, but that is what is says on the box. I am sorry testing is out of our ability". I find this comment unjustified and highly rude. The boxes I received do not mention Kevlar/Nomex and just to prove my point, I plan to upload photographs of the packaging very soon.
review image review image review image
77 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2012
These really are useful gloves, much easier to use than fingerless ones. Worth the money but do beware of getting them wet or escaping steam from cooking. Steam from a microwave veg bag has taught me a valuable but blistered lesson.
on 13 April 2011
Very pleased - as it says on the tin. Believed to be Kevlar/Nomex but it doesn't actually say so. Anyway it performs just the same as those materials.
on 31 May 2011
I have been using these oven golves for about 3 weeks now and they are great. Bit strange at first as it is lke putting on work gloves but they are just great and easy to use and keep heat away from your hands.
on 15 August 2014
The product description is a lie. The description says that it contains Nomex and Kevlar, but the gloves are made from cotton (outer) and a poly-cotton (inner) - they do not contain Nomex and Kevlar. I even rang the importer benross.com to confirm. I shall talk to Amazon about this misrepresentation.
on 13 June 2011
I bought the gloves for an elderly relative who was having great trouble with cooking because of visual impairment and lack of confidence. She is trying to remain pretty independent and doesn't want to give up cooking, but she had burnt her wrists frequently on hot bits of the cooker - this doesn't happen any more. She is really delighted with the help they have given her, and I think there are probably many older folk who would find these gloves a great boon. Thank you!
on 4 February 2016
These oven gloves are great. The fingers are a little tight to begin with but they soon loosen up. They happened to arrive just as I was cooking dinner so I immediately tested them on a hot baking tray straight from the oven...couldn't feel a thing...hardly even warm! The heat seems to gradually creep through most oven gloves but I held the hot tray for ages and they worked perfectly. One slight niggle...there are no loops to hang them up by so they are presently in a drawer... perhaps a big bulldog clip on a hook on the wall would work :) Nice gloves and do the job well.
on 7 August 2013
"Legendary Magic", "Made of KevlarTM & NomexTM it can withstand temperatures up to 540°F and is Flame Retardant", "Dramatically extend the time you can handle hot objects without the risks of burning yourself or dropping them". That all sounded very good, but, after a couple of months' use and a couple of burned fingers, these turn out to be no better or worse than any other oven gloves we've had. Once the grease, sauce, fat whatever has penetrated the fabric, the heat gets through quickly. The lining tends to come out of the main glove too easily and turns itself inside out. What I don't like is that this product seemed to be promising to be better than the rest and it isn't. But it's no worse.