5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally good
Published on 23 Feb 2011 by Derek Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...
A good but far from balanced view of this treasure house of biodiversity. Too much about lemurs and practically nothing about the unique and beautiful plants that grow there. Not a mention of the incredibly ancient Takhtajania perrieri or any of the other living fossils that explain the islands past.
Published 19 months ago by Green Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally good, 23 Feb 2011
Derek Jones - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Madagascar [DVD] (DVD)
A few BBC wildlife programmes are average but the majority are good, very good or exceptionally good. In my opinion "Madagascar" is in the highest category. The diaries at the end of each programme show the effort put into making them over an 18 month period - the canoes and the unstable platform to film the reed lemurs in the first, the platform high in the trees and the long wait for the rain to stop to film the red ruffed lemurs in the second, and the hair-raising nocturnal filming of fossas in the third.

The programmes cover both the beautiful and the bizarre, including shell squatting spiders, pygmy chameleons little bigger than ants, Labord's chameleon that lives for only 12 weeks, giraffe-necked weevils, and lemurs that eat bamboo containing levels of cyanide that would be lethal for other animals. A big plus is that in addition to the fauna and flora we have stunning aerial photography of the varied and spectacular landscapes of the island - mountains, rainforests, rivers, coasts and arid areas.

David Attenborough (as good as ever) provides the narrative, explaining how plants and animals adapted to the environment during the 60 million years when the island was cut off from the rest of the world. As for the music, all too often BBC programmes are spoiled for me by excessively loud and inappropriate music. In this case the music, much of it composed specially for the series, actually adds value to it. If I was allowed to keep only one wildlife series I think "Madagascar" might be it even though it does not feature my favourite animals - the big cats.

However, along with the beauty there is a sombre tone. We see the scattered remains of the elephant bird that began to disappear, along with other species, when man arrived. David Attenborough tells us that the unique radiated tortoises are likely to be extinct within twenty years, that only ten female fossas survive in the forest, and only 200 ghost-like silky safakas remain. He finishes all three programmes with a warning about impending extinctions. How sad it would be if our great-grandchildren were one day to watch this wonderful series to see not living animals but a record of those that have vanished from the earth.

Edit: as an extra "Attenborough and the Giant Egg" is included as part of the two disc set, with video dating from 1960 (when Attenborough acquired the egg of an elephant bird) to the present day.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is Region FREE, Just not Sony FREE, 2 May 2012
B. Wong (SF, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madagascar [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Thanks for the review by Mark Twain and the comment by Sanjay, I now know why Madagascar will not work on my 2 Sony BR players. I also took my copy of Madagascar to Best Buy and it did played on 2 other brands of BR players.

I emailed Sony and then called their customer service and after some research; this is what Sony told me: Region FREE is for the European and Region Zero and 1 are for North America, and Sony is not prepared to do anything about it because it is a Region Code thing. There is no software upgrade available. I guess that Sony just did not included Region FREE into their software initially.

I gave Madagascar a 5 star rating because I know it is a wonderful product. Not being able to play is just unfortunate that I (we) have Sony players. I do not want to down grade the product.

I will advise Amazon UK about the situation and hope they will post a warning to US customers who owns Sony BR players. I have other UK BRs, and Madagascar happened to be the first one not playable.

UPDATE: Sept 25, 2012

I had just upgraded to 3D TV. I purchased the LG 55LM7600 with the LG BD620 3D player. I watched Madagascar on simulated 3D and it was a pleasant experience. The five star rating for Madagascar now stands solid.

The note Amazon UK placed just under the Madagascar title explains clearly why the Sony players will not play Madagascar. What Sony told me is just a brush off.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite nature show, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Madagascar [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched hundreds of nature shows, including Sir David Attenborough's complete works. I think Madagascar is the absolute best. I had to make an effort to stop at 2am so I could still go to work in the morning. It's as fascinating as Dexter.

I've already watched it twice and I've only had it for a week. Incredible landscapes, animals I've never seen in other shows. You constantly find yourself wondering how the heck they managed to film some things. The "Diaries" section at the end of the episodes answers that question. I normally don't bother watching DVD extras, but here they're totally worth it.

The show has English subtitles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 Feb 2012
Irene M. McFarlane "Irene Oz" (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madagascar [DVD] (DVD)
Wonderful show love all David Attenboroughs has bought us so much that most of us would never see
shows but this one has to be one of my favourites the animals, the glorious colours
and the conservation efforts just fabulous

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet, 13 July 2011
This review is from: Madagascar [DVD] (DVD)
As someone who has been to Madagascar, albeit briefly, I can appreciate how fragile and beautiful this country is. This DVD was both a haunting reminder, and a poignant glimpse at what we could lose - within my lifetime. To my relief, the documentary was not doom and gloom and not forcing home the point of how fractured these pockets of magnificant wildlife are, but was instead a beautiful tribute. So beautiful, that it brought a tear to my eye, but also made me laugh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and amazing!, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: Madagascar [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Great photography and a revelation of nature at work. Very well researched and presented. These breathtaking scenes and well presented narrative is highly entertaining and also very educational. It puts conservation into perspective and makes very clear why it should be top priority on this planet.

4.0 out of 5 stars take that creationists, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Madagascar [DVD] (DVD)
another amazing series, not as in depth as it could be( i like it a bit more sciencey!!!), but if you like your nature docs madagascar is a must just for the strange life that has evolved on this island from primates to trees

4.0 out of 5 stars Natural History of Madagascar, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Madagascar [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This wonderfully filmed 2 disc 2011 documentary is produced by the BBC and narrated by the incomparable David Attenborough concerns the many unique animals and plants of the island separated from mainland Africa for a long geologic period which has enabled a diverse ecosystem to develop. This is now of course subject to human activities usually in the form of population growth and economic activity that follows, which has resulted in the decline of many species as the original habitants are eroded and at sometime will be below that need for a sustainable population which will result in that species extinction. Two interesting programmes make up the bonus features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sir David is on top form, as always, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Madagascar [DVD] (DVD)
This natural history documentary gives an excellent overview of the very specialised and different fauna and flora of Madagascar and the markedly different ecosystems within this huge island, It combines some early black and white film footage from David Attenborough's early Zoo Quest trip to Madagascar. The special feature on the Giant Egg is of particular interest. The other one, on the Ring tailed Lemurs, is a bit gushy. It would have been good to have a bit more science in that, with the commentator's views supported by someone able to give a more objective overview of lemur population changes and dynamics in this small Reserve.There have been relatively long-term observations and records in this Reserve and there is also a very obvious impact from tourism. It would have been interesting to have had more than just the usual comments on the limited habitat the lemurs occupy and resulting threats to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant as always, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Madagascar [DVD] (DVD)
Despite his advanced age, Attenborough once more proves his high standards. The miniseries presents wildlife of Madagascar in all its details and beauty. The additional "Attenborough and the Giant Egg" gives an interesting insight not only in the history of the extinct giant flightless bird but also in the history of natural history film-making. Obligatory position for all naturalists and nature lovers.

Madagascar [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Madagascar [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by David Attenborough (Blu-ray - 2011)