4.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase
I recently purchased the Garmin Nuvi 1200 from Amazon and I must tell you what a great purchase it was. It worked straight out of the box without the need for me to read the instructions.
I do have some experience of Sat Nav's, so that was an advantage, but anyone would find this device easy to use.
It has a very bright and clear screen, finds destinations...
Published on 16 Mar 2011 by Neil F

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better
- Turn by turn navigation...it says "leave on exit 6 and then at the roundabout..." (after a while) "at the roundabout take the second exit". So it repeats "at the roundabout" twice, in a delayed fashion.

Published on 25 May 2011 by Francisco

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 1200 3.5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (Electronics)
It has a very bright and clear screen, finds destinations quickly by way of entering a post code, re-calculates almost instantly if you make a wrong turn (or just go another way) and acquires satelites efficiently. Another nice feature is 'Talk To Text', which says out loud the name of the road or street you are about to turn in to. it even tells you that your destination is on either the right or left as you approach it.
The only negative thing I can say is that it lacks a USB cable so you have to buy that separately, but at 82p what does it matter? Anyway, if you've owned a sat nav before, your existing USB cable will probably work with it.

All in all an excellent device, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sat Nav, 31 Mar 2011
Ms. Caroline Wallace (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I have recently purchased the Garmin 1200 for my own use as my old Sat Nav which is about 7 years old has given up but the Garmin is so easy to set up and use, the direction are clear the screen is bright but at night it changes from the white background to a darker one so it doesn't bork you when you're driving.
You can down load other voices and icons and the talk to text is great you know exactly which road you should be turning in to.
I know you don't get the USB cable or the mains charger with it but you probably already have a USB cable that will fit and the mains charger I have for my phone fits the Sat Nav.
All in all I am very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice Sat Nav for the money, 7 Mar 2011
Excellent sat nav, easy to use and set up. Bought this as a present for my mother so it had to be something a low tech person would be able to handle. Loads of feature that my mum will never use but the basic "take me to..." is very simple to set up with just a few taps on the screen. Doesn't come with a mains charger, case or USB-to-PC cable but I ordered all these bits as extras on Amazon for less than a tenner. It does come with a car power lead, external antenna for better GPS reception, suction mount. Very impressed, might order another for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was I here ?, 24 April 2011
TonyD "biotone" (Up North) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I bought this for my daughter, but am now thinking of pinching it and giving her my old Garmin 200!
A very neat little unit, works straight out of the box after charging, without any set-up needed at all bar acceptance of the licence agreement. Menus are quite intuitive and all in all this sat-nav is very easy to use. It immediately found locations in the vicinity which have only changed/appeared quite recently, so the mapping is bang up to date. The 'text to talk' facility is really useful as it tells you the name of the road you are about to turn in to.
Comes complete with a one-off subscription to traffic alerts, (the car charger doubles as the FM receiver) and has an external wire aerial which you can attach to boost GPS reception (not needed it yet, to be fair)
It doesn't come packed with loads of 'extras', like choice of voice or car graphic, but stuff like that can all be downloaded from the Garmin website, and if you want something to get you safely from A to B then this is just the job - recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant choice, 16 April 2011
I am very pleased with my purchase. It is easy to use you can put in the number and post code very simple use it every day at work. Prompt delivery as well, good transaction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 25 May 2011

- It is not very precise as the car moves round the roundabout - I have found myself exiting on the exit previous to the one I wanted. Its simple to go back, but still it takes longer than TomTom I have used, to recalculate

- Its only got two voices..boring!

- I have been stuck at dead ends which were displayed as acceptable routes

- It locates POIs which is good (petrol, parking, some others)

Other than that, yes, it gets me to where I need to go, but for example on my first usage I wanted to go to a location which is next to the highway, and the damn thing pinned the actual highway as the destination, when in fact the destination was outside the highway though next to it. I tried with a free GPS for the iPhone and hey...it worked exactly as needed, pinpointing the destination as being next to the highway, not on it.

Anyway, it takes time getting used to its limitations, in the end I would have gone for an upper model or another brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I manage without, 10 May 2011
bought this as I was always going onto AA routefinder and printing out routes. As I usually travel alone it was sometimes a mission to read them. This satnav is brilliant, cannot fault anything yet, will be getting another for my daughter

3.0 out of 5 stars Works., 12 Jun 2014
For my first time buying a satnav I decided to experiment as I could not afford a new model and the need for one was only going to be every so often. But the unit can and was still filled with the previous owners journeys through Europe, so in Polish and it would not recognise my location. I spent a lot of time trying to get the thing to do what I'd purchased it for. It should have been cleaned of private information and tested before being sent out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap Nav, 16 April 2014
Soon to be moving to Tom Tom because this one is terrible. You can't choose alternative routes when setting off and it will often try to drag me through central London when it would be much quicker, easier and less painful to use a different route like the North Circular. It constantly crashes and restarts mid-use and pictures of speed cameras will often obscure upcoming turnings. Awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money, 19 Dec 2013
One of the worst pieces of rubbish I've ever bought. Kept cutting out, shutting down, crashing, screen locking, overheating.
Try to find an alternative route to one already selected and it would shut down for hours -- 5 hours was not unusual.
It would shut down in the middle of a journey for no apparent reason -- another 5 hours or so.